Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2012 6:55:18 AM EDT
I got some magazines at the gun show the other day.

I'm heading out in a few minutes to pick up the rifle.

I ordered 1,000 rounds of Wolf ammo last night.

Hopefully I can get to the range next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
it's always a good day when your picking up a new gun
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Just picked it up

Sitting here in a parking lot while the wife shops in Tuesday Morning.

Gonna eat lunch somewhere and head back home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering about a few things on the 556R,i thought this might be as good as any place to ask.

How much play if any does the front handguard have and any play between the upper and lower?
How much mag wobble does it have?
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
nice

how about a few pics of said rifle

Quoted:
Just picked it up

Sitting here in a parking lot while the wife shops in Tuesday Morning.

Gonna eat lunch somewhere and head back home.

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hand guard will probably have a fair bit of wobble.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hand guard does wobble on my 556R, zip tie trick works well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine has very little wobel and there is no play between the upper and lower. Mags lock in with little or no wobel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The handguards wobble some and there is some looseness between the upper and lower receiver halves.

Really, not much different than some AR15s.  

It comes apart so easy.  Similar to an AR15 (push pins let the upper/lower receiver halves split) to start, then it changes.  Once you get the receiver halves apart the lower handguard slides to the rear and down to remove the upper handguard lifts off once the lower handguard is off.  Push on the lever on the outside bottom of the bolt carreir, pull the bolt lever/handle oout and the bolt/carrier will slide out of the rear of the upper receiver.  Then press the button on the right side front of the gas system, turn the gas tube and remove it and the spring and piston from the tube.

Its simple, its quick.  I've cleaned it, lubed it and hope to shoot it next weekend.

I got the SIG front and rear sights for it, too.  Easy to install.  My eyes aren' the best anymore (mid 50's now) and I find the sights on my M1A and AR15's tough to see most of the time (front sight post).  For some reason the front sight on this rifle is a little easier to focus on.  I don't know if its the hood over/around the front sight post or the way the rear sight is made (smaller holes in it than AR15 or M14 rear sights).

I got the little SIG red dot, too.  Not sure how much use it will be (on this rifle).  It is too low to co-witness with the iron sights.  I put a 1/2" riser on the rail in front of the rear sight and that 1/2" made the red dot scope too high to co-witness with the iron sights - so its back to the iron sights.  I thought it was cool though where the instructions with the sight said the battery could last 8,000 hours on the lowest settiing.  8,000 hrs.

It had a longer buttplate/extension in the box but I've read it can't be used on the newer folding stocks.  Its just a hold over from the previous model of stock.

I can make the magazine wobble but it doesn't seem bad.

I put a small light on the left handguard/rail.  I was happy to find that the light is easy to work with my left hand while still gripping the forend.

I put a single point sling on it (one attachment ring at the left side rear of the upper receiver and one at the left side upper part of the gas system.) and carried it around the garage and yard Sunday.  Feels good.

Just waiting to see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update on this? I really want one of these in the future but want to make sure all the bugs have been worked out first
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Waiting for mine to show at my sig dealer......waiting sucks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was wondering about a few things on the 556R,i thought this might be as good as any place to ask.

How much play if any does the front handguard have and any play between the upper and lower?
How much mag wobble does it have?

The handguards have some play at the front.  I was wondering about trying to find something to put on the front to take up the slop but decided against it until I have a chance to sit down, shoot groups with the sloppy handguards and then put something in temporarily to snug them up and shoot more groups.  With some guns, tight handguards can be bad.

I shot it yesterday.  Very nice groups at 25 yds. with Wolf ammo.  Some 3 shot groups would fit under a dime.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Shot it yesterday.  No issues except for having to cut short the shooting session with it to sight in a couple other rifles and shoot my new M&P 9MM.

Let me see if I can get a picture or two.  I painted it Thursday or Friday and put a sight on it Friday (must have painted it Thursday).  

Got the pics, struggling to find them after downloading them from the phone to the PC (old guy, you know how it is).
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for pics.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Wasted an hour of more farting around with the phone.  Can't get the PC to "read" the phone.  When I select transfer to the PC (bluetooth) with the phone I can't find the pictures, if it is transferring them.  They show connected but no luck.

Dug the camera out and took a couple of pictures.

Rifle with two of the targets.

The targets.  Left target is next to last sight in target.  Still had to move the POI slightly left of the POA (SUIT objective lens is offset to the left of the bore,  Failure to get the right off set at 25 yds. means the POI gradually moves farther right as the range extends.)  The right target shows 2 Wolf fmj rounds slightly left/low of POA with 3 Wolf hollow point rounds right on POA.  Same POA both times, just different POI with the two different rounds.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Do the PDI guys have a storefront, does anyone know? I'd like to see what they can get me some Swiss mags for, but they seem to have bad email returning habits.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  In Charlottesville.  I don't remember the address, but I did have to call and set up and appt. to meet him there.

They were at the gunshow in Richmond this weekend and he mentioned they go to other gun shows as well.

The rifles come with one tapco magazine.  Not sure I trust the tapco's but then again, I buy PMags, so....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
What adaptor did you use to mount the SUIT sight? Is that sight too heavy (relatively) for the gun?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Same mount for the rail on a flat top AR15 or the rail on the FAL top cover (my first one dame off a FAL - the recoil of the FAL kept making the FAL work the rivets loose so I finally took it off and put it on an AR15. - then I was really sold on them and bought more).

The mount is part of the sight.

Weight?  Not sure what it weighs but the 556R is already muzzle heavy balance wise.  The SUIT just puts a little weight farther back.

The British put the SUITs on their version of the FAL.  The Israelis used them on their FALs and M16's.  If they stand up to 7.62X51 recoil they X39 probably won't hurt it.  In fact the recoil on the 556R is noticeable, maybe a bit harder than the AR15, but no where near as much as the M1 Garand or M1A.

Once you mount the SUIT base on the rail the SUIT will detach from it's base to allow the use of the iron sights.  In my experience with the ARs if you remove the SUIT, shoot the rifle some with BUIS and then reinstall the SUIT it take one shot so "set" the SUIT back in its mount, then its zeroed again.  That one shot can be off 1/2 to an inch at 25 yds.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, started THINKING about it last night and then looked at it.

The mount for a SUIT has a "T" bar that the SUIT actually clamps/mounts to.  The T bar on the FAL cover was just riveted on and kept working loose.

On the AR mount the T bar is attached (looks to be spot welded) to something that looks like a flat top "riser" that clamps to the flat top AR rail with two thumb nuts.  I have two styles of nuts on my flat top SUIT mounts.  One type is knurled with a screwdriver slot in the side.  The other type is a six sided nut with a screw driver slot in the side.

I know Optics Planet used to sell them as I bought from them a few years back.  I'm not sure where to get them at these days.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any update on this? I really want one of these in the future but want to make sure all the bugs have been worked out first

From what I've seen in the guns I've worked on, these are now fairly flawless. No issues with any ammo nore and ejection issues like the early guns suffered.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Do the Yugo BHO mags work on the 556r?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, most hold open but not all. Same in my AK.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm taking it to WV next time I go home.  

Put it and my brother's AK47 side by side and see which one shoots the best, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm taking it to WV next time I go home.  

Put it and my brother's AK47 side by side and see which one shoots the best, etc.

It shouldn't be close.
556R
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top