Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:39:33 PM EDT
Took a gamble after some research and picked up a new SIG 516 Patrol....I know I will get slammed for no pics yet.
Seems to me many of the anti SIG crowd or even SIG 556 owners slam this variant for various reasons other than hands on experience.
Usually I build my own DI AR15's but wanted to see what all the fuss was with the piston driven AR platform and decided to spoil myself or punish myself."To be determined".
General idea after research:
SIG 556 owners hate it because it cost less than there 556 and will compete or possibly cause that model to be dropped if the 516 a success.
HK,LMT, LWRC, COLT, DD, Bravo and ect. owners hate anything not there brand.
AR DI owners have so much invested in there DI builds that something better cannot possibly be true.
M4- Well anything not on a chart could not possibly be better. The chart must be worshipped at all times or your the devil.LMAO
ME- I have an open mind and own AR15's/ FAL/ SIG516/AK47/SKS and have others on my want list but money at times is an issue.

Actual owners of this model chime in on your experiences good or bad....Not interested in negative comments from individuals who have not owned one or hearsay from things you have heard.

Potential owners might want to know the recent version I have has quality BUIS installed and not the red dot that older versions came with. Ambi mag release is standard. Fit and Finish is very good.....I really like the quick attach mounts integrated into the lower receiver and the rails and a sling with attachments come with the package. The only thing I am currently bummed about is the case it came in is of low quality...Seriously could buy a better case at the nearest Walmart but I figure with all the goodies this thing comes with I cannot gripe too much yet.
GI type cleaning rod kit plus allen wrenches also are apart of the package.
Will come back and report how it handles at the range at a later date.

Hopefully my gut feeling about the SIG 516 being a winner is correct.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not own one, but I have shot 2it if them.  Both rifles shot great with no problems.  Accuracy was on par with any other ar.  Fit and finish were very nice.  I will probably pick one up for my next ar.  Basically is a really nice rifle, I am not totally sold in the piston idea as a DI improvement but it doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them so much I have three (3) one Swat and 2 basic patrols. I also own 4 566's. The Sig 516 is a great rifle and is top notch quality. Accuracy is very good (as good as any of my AR15's) runs clean and cool. I have had no problems at all with any of mine including my SIg 556's or my 551A1. I like the way Sig made the receiver a litter more robust in certain areas. Two of mine have the early bolt carrier and one has a later one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Today took out the new SIG516 and gave it my usual test to see if I will keep it which involves 300 rounds fired as follows: (Hardly a torture test but gives a person an idea if there will be problems or not)

30-slow fire sighting in let barrel cool- No Problems (PMC 55 grain)
2x30 rapid fire then let barrel cool down-No Problems (Mixed PMC 55 grain and Wolf 55 grain loaded in same magazines)
30-slow fire for 5 shot groups- No Problems (1"-1-1/2" at 100 yards) Very pleased
3x30 rapid fire then let barrel cool down-No problems (Mixed PMC 55 grain and Wolf 55 grain loaded in same magazines)
30-slow fire for 5- shot groups-No Problems ( 1"-1-3/4" at 100 yards) Very pleased
30-Rapid fire no barrel cool down No problems(Mixed PMC 55 grain and Wolf 55 grain loaded in same magazines)  then right to-
30 slow fire with hot barrel for groups-No problems (1-1/2"-2-1/2" at 100 yards) Very good for a hot barrel

Accuracy= Very Good for BUIS sights provided with the rifle....Only had to adjust elevation on front sight a little and right a few clicks on the rear. I plan on putting a scope on it. My eyes are not as good as when I was a youngster in The Marines.
Magazines= All dependable - Used provided PMAG and a couple of my own and a few DH and DSG 100%
Trigger= Not a target trigger but closer than I thought it would be to that rather than run of the mill type....Clean break and no take up.-Got even better after 1st 200rds.
Recoil= Come on it's a 5.56/.223 not noticeable to me....More of a .223 version of a FAL recoil impulse than DI type..
Reliability= So far 100%

Normally I do not shoot wolf steel cased ammo anymore but had some laying around so I alternated rounds in magazines to burn some I still had on hand. Checked mixed ammo test as they do on the video....So far not even the slightest hesitation to feed..Do not think I will bury it in mud, sand or dump it in a lake as they did.LOL
I noticed the SIG516 stayed cooler as expected than a DI type AR....Like everyone hears as expected bolt was cool to touch during all testing done and less dirty.
So far I am extremely pleased with my SIG516...Kinda makes me nervous that if it keeps going well I may replace my DI builds with SIG's even though they passed the same test and many have had no problems.

Link Posted: 1/29/2012 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The 516 is a fine AR and a hell of a value in the piston AR market. I had given up on the AR15 after I got my second 556 rifle. The 516 brought me back. It is a little more accurate than my 556 Classic. My 516 runs and runs. SIG hit a home run with this one. Let the Haters hate. It's still a good rifle. Most of them made up their mind before even trying one so their opinion means little to nothing.

The recoil impulse did seem a little more than a regular DI AR, but I put a PWS FSC556 on it and it is one smooth shooter now. It may take over as my primary 3 gun rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Being we are all doomed by the Mayan calender ending I wanted to prepare with 2K rounds shot per month (or more) of 223 (+2500 45ACP 250 20Ga, 1K 308 and 500 8X57 over the rest of the year)

I simply did not want to run that much ammo through my PWS MK114 so I needed something close enough to set up like the PWS but at a cost much less.

The Sig 516 basic Patrol fit that criteria. Without the heavier rails it is better balanced although not as balanced as the PWS (happens to be the closest thing to a DI in that department)

I added a small rail under the hand guard to mount a stubby Mapul grip, changed the butt to a magpul like the PWS and mounted an EOTech 512 and also changed the trigger to a Geissele.

I have over 1K round already and not one single round has failed. Not as pretty as the quad rail version but over $250.00 less and lighter with more neutral balance and accurate.
This is a perfect compliment to my PWS MK114.

IMO, the Sig 516 is the best dollar per dollar value of any AR/M4 currently offered

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You can expect total satisfaction...
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the review.  Nice to see something from some who actually owns the thing, rather than the "I heard..." stuff over and over.

ETA: I just saw on Sig's site they're offering the 516 with an FDE upper/lower.  Wow.  If I ever see one of these it's going to be very difficult to say no.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol-fde.aspx
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice to see something from some who actually owns the thing, rather than the "I heard..." stuff over and over.

This is so true!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review.  Nice to see something from some who actually owns the thing, rather than the "I heard..." stuff over and over.

ETA: I just saw on Sig's site they're offering the 516 with an FDE upper/lower.  Wow.  If I ever see one of these it's going to be very difficult to say no.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol-fde.aspx

I called SIG about the 516 in FDE. The customer service guy said even though it's on the website, it's going to be a LONG time before you see them hit the shelves. I asked how long is long and he said he would estimate end of 2012.

I'm a sucker for all things FDE, but there is no way in hell I'm waiting that long in an election year for that rifle. Remember what happened to prices AND availability in November 2008?

I ended up purchasing a SIG516 10" CQB Upper to put on my BCM Lower. I'm sending the upper off to get coated in FDE
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Sig M400 in FDE.  So I know they do make some uppers and lowers already.  i can confirm that is an awesome look.  I did change the grip to black for some contrast.  Ignore the monster scope, heh.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421154_10150564726331778_660441777_8922122_1443489428_n.jpg
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!  Two pistons and a DI that SIG makes now. Why the 516 since they already have the 556 model?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who love AR15's but want a Sig. I have three 516's and 4 556's
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to get the M400?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I love mine. Balance is good, though when I put the Sig Stoplight on it, it begins to feel a bit heavy. But I have no complaints at
all with the rifle. I expect most of my shooting will be without the Stoplight mounted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top