Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2013 8:54:13 AM EDT
So I filled out my FFL application and I have never been convicted of a felony but I do have a misdemeanor breaking and entering and larceny (they were originally felonies but got pled down at the District Court level) on my record from 1989.  I've been eligible to have it expunged but just never felt the need to do so.  When I talked to the ATF office, they were unable to give an opinion of whether or not it would be a problem. The lady I spoke to said that the dollar value of the restitution ordered would be important and it's $437.10 ordered on the B&E for damages not the larceny.  Anyone have any experience on this or can offer some advice?  I'm hoping I don't get dinged for being young and stupid 24 years ago.  
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
At this point, you'll find out soon enough from the ATF if it constitutes a disability to getting your license.  If that happens, best to go get a lawyer and spend the time and money getting it expunged (if you weren't motivated to do so already).  If they issue you your FFL anyway, then you can continue to put off having it expunged, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't see why it would be denied, you're not a felon.

I'd get it expunged either way. Who wants that on your record if it doesn't need to be ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Go buy a gun and have a NICS.
I'd bet if you can buy, you will get an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I've absolutely passed several NICS checks. I've got my carry concealed and have had it for about 12 years. And the most embarrassing part about the whole thing is I'm a criminal defense attorney. I could do an expungement in my sleep. Just that once I became an attorney, I never had a need to expunge it. Kept saying I would do it but never did it. I'll get on it this week. Hopefully it won't be a problem since my FFL application is already in the works. Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys!
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

close, if you can buy a gun, you WILL get your ffl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried to sell a gun to a guy about 19-20 years old and was denied by NICS. He says he received a class B misdemeanor about 5 years ago.

He was understanding and didn't make a big commotion and I gave him an appeal packet and his NTN number.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I tried to sell a gun to a guy about 19-20 years old and was denied by NICS. He says he received a class B misdemeanor about 5 years ago.

He was understanding and didn't make a big commotion and I gave him an appeal packet and his NTN number.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet there is more to the story, a misd. shouldn't deny him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NICS denies people all the time who can legally buy guns. IF NICS cannot see disposition of an arrest, a denial is likely. Have had it happen several times to folks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry guys, been out of town for a bit after the holidays and wanted to update.  I had my IOI interview right before Thanksgiving.  The guy was great.  Very helpful with advice and thorough with the topics that had to be covered in the interview.  We talked for a good 3+ hours and have talked on the phone a couple of times since then.  Long story short, my FFL came in last week and I'm super stoked!  Thanks for all the comments and support!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top