Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2011 4:26:29 PM EDT
I live in PA, I understand I can not do a FTF deal on any firearm out of state correct? I thought it was just handguns that FTF was prohibited but I was corrected tonight.

My quandry is:
As I understand it I can go to a gun shop in OH, WV, MD or wherever and buy a long gun and drive home with it.

If I buy/trade a long gun to say a WV resident what do I have to do? Go to a FFL in WV and do the paperwork? What about the gun I get in buy/trade?

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to an FFL in WV would be quickest.  Could also ship to an FFL in PA and do it there, if that were more convenient.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
doing a private sale it is up to you. ckeck you r local laws and make sure.  down south here i am not required to go through a FFL for a private sale.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
doing a private sale it is up to you. ckeck you r local laws and make sure.  down south here i am not required to go through a FFL for a private sale.

Uh..........you are under the exact same federal restrictions as the OP. If that private sale is with a resident of a different state, you and the other party would be committing Federal violations.

When acquiring a firearm from a nonlicensee, you must both be residents of the same state and the transfer must occur in that state.

When outside your state of residence, you may only acquire a rifle or shotgun from a licensed dealer. Handguns, frames, receivers, AR lowers, PGO shotguns are not considered rifles or shotguns and may not be acquired outside your state of residence  from anyone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
§ 478.30  Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.      

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:      

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succes-sion of a firearm by, a person who is per-mitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his resi-dence; and      

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
awwwww i have never been in that situation  thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically, As a resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, I can go to Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Virginia and West Virginia and Buy LONG guns only, as a NON-Licensee.

IF i want a Long gun from any other state, say I am traveling to Arkansas for a Duck Hunting trip and my shotgun gets stollen, and I walk into Mack's and want to buy a new shotgun, I CAN NOT!!! I Must buy it in a neighboring state to my residence or back in KY.

If I want to by a Hand Gun, as a NON Licensee, I can ONLY do so in my home state of KY. I can buy one from ANY licensee in the country as long as it is shipped and the transfer and the 4473 is done by a Licensee in my home state.

FTF transfers of Handguns AND long guns are legal INSIDE MY HOME STATE. FTF transfers of handguns AND Long guns in any state outside of my home state are a violation of federal law.

I think I got that right, didn't I?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Basically, As a resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, I can go to Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Virginia and West Virginia and Buy LONG guns only, as a NON-Licensee.

IF i want a Long gun from any other state, say I am traveling to Arkansas for a Duck Hunting trip and my shotgun gets stollen, and I walk into Mack's and want to buy a new shotgun, I CAN NOT!!! I Must buy it in a neighboring state to my residence or back in KY.

If I want to by a Hand Gun, as a NON Licensee, I can ONLY do so in my home state of KY. I can buy one from ANY licensee in the country as long as it is shipped and the transfer and the 4473 is done by a Licensee in my home state.

FTF transfers of Handguns AND long guns are legal INSIDE MY HOME STATE. FTF transfers of handguns AND Long guns in any state outside of my home state are a violation of federal law.

I think I got that right, didn't I?

<––-FFL

There is no Federal law that restricts rifle or shotgun purchases to contiguous states. The Federal law that restricted long gun purchases was amended 25 years ago.

As a nonlicensee, you can acquire a rifle or shotgun from a licensee in any state as long as the sale is legal in both your state of residence AND the state where you are acquiring the firearm. Firearms other than rifles or shotguns (handguns, frames, receivers, AR lowers, PGO shotguns, etc) may only be acquired from a licensed dealer in your own state of residence.

As a nonlicensee, you may acquire or dispose of firearms to another nonlicensee only in your state of residence, as long as the other nonlicensee is a resident of your state, the transaction is legal under state law and you have no reason to believe the other party is a prohibited person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top