Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2009 1:34:08 PM EDT
Anybody have a source for those cheap plastic trigger locks? The cheapest I have found is $1.19 ea.   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
How about zip ties. They are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How about zip ties. They are dirt cheap.

My mistake, I should have said these are for the youth handgun safety act. We have to give a lock with any handgun purchased, and most of the used handguns we buy don't have a lock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I hate to say it, but CTD has some for cheap.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49838-1.html

They are made by DAC Technologies.
http://www.dactec.com/index-2.html

I get some cable locks from the Sheriff's Office, but I am in the same boat as you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The good news is we found a company in China that has the simple plastic locks for only $0.26 ea.  Bad news is they require a 5,000 piece minimum order, so it would most likely run into $2,000 to $2500 with the cost of shipping.

Guess I need to talk to the local LEOs and see if they have any they want to get rid off......
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My mistake, I should have said these are for the youth handgun safety act. We have to give a lock with any handgun purchased, and most of the used handguns we buy don't have a lock.

Negative - you don't have to GIVE a lock away with a handgun purchase - you have to have trigger locks AVAILABLE for purchase.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative - you don't have to GIVE a lock away with a handgun purchase - you have to have trigger locks AVAILABLE for purchase.

Hmmm. Do you happen to know where to find that information in the ATF regs?  Every FFL I have spoke to was under the impression that you HAD to give a lock.

Don't mean to offend you or say you are lying just looking for some documentation.... (as I go to look thru the Brady Law legalese in search for myself...)
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. Do you happen to know where to find that information in the ATF regs?  Every FFL I have spoke to was under the impression that you HAD to give a lock.

Don't mean to offend you or say you are lying just looking for some documentation.... (as I go to look thru the Brady Law legalese in search for myself...)

You're thinking of the Child Safety Lock Act of 2005 (18 USC 922(z)). And the OP is correct......each transfer of a handgun must be accompanied with some type of safety device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock. As stated above, many get their locks from the local police/sheriff dep't.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Found this while looking thru the ATF online reg book...  so once again I am looking for cheap locks...

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of stores pass the cost on the the consumer and just tack the price of the lock onto the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're thinking of the Child Safety Lock Act of 2005 (18 USC 922(z)). And the OP is correct......each transfer of a handgun must be accompanied with some type of safety device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock. As stated above, many get their locks from the local police/sheriff dep't.

Whoops - looks like I was out of date, and didn't know about 922(z).

Crud.

Fortunately for me, every handgun I've sold in the past three years has come with a gun lock, or had one built in, or I'd have been out of compliance.  I've got a box of cheap random trigger locks that my various distributors have bundled with my orders over the years - if that box runs out, I'll have to order some up and pass along the cost.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have bought my locks from Midway on sale and have acouple
of custmers give me onesthey did not want.
CEW

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have one around from your own guns. Sell a used one for $10,000.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have one around from your own guns. Sell a used one for $10,000.

Or you can just offer to sell your safe for whatever price. That's what the inspector told me in my meeting.

Now where can you get gun locks for $1.19 for?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or you can just offer to sell your safe for whatever price. That's what the inspector told me in my meeting.

Now where can you get gun locks for $1.19 for?

One of our wholesalers Ellett Brothers has the cheap plastic Chinese locks for $1.19ea. I have no problem passing the cost on to the customer, but it does irritate me to $1.19 for a $0.25 lock. Here is the type of lock I am talking about:

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Were a Pawnshop and we order them through M&M wholesale, they sell electronics and stuff. We get them in three packs for  $1.59 for three. They're made by Bellocks and are just like the DAC's you posted pictures of earlier. But if you can't get those Sport South has the DAC's for $0.90 a piece.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you talking about this place?
http://www.mmwholesale.com/

Edit: I have been in that joint before. It is mainly car audio stuff in the show room. I will give them a call and see what their dealer setup involves.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Yea thats the place, they mainly carry electronics but they have a Pawnshop/RTO section and an outdoor section that has gun accessories. We order our electronics from them and some of the cheap holsters and nikon scopes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Were a Pawnshop and we order them through M&M wholesale, they sell electronics and stuff. We get them in three packs for  $1.59 for three. They're made by Bellocks and are just like the DAC's you posted pictures of earlier. But if you can't get those Sport South has the DAC's for $0.90 a piece.

Thanks for the information. We talked to M&M today and got an account set up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool, No problem on the info and we've been dealing with them for about 15 years and never had a problem with them so I think you'll be happy with their service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top