Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
Does any one know if or when Steyr will come out with a 223 wylde barrel with a 1:8 twist?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is never. The Austrians are complacent with the AUG design and rarely make substantial changes because it works and they don't believe there's anything to fix.

The European gun mentality is vastly different than what an American consumer wants.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The European gun mentality is vastly different than what an American consumer wants.
View Quote

100% correct.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does any one know if or when Steyr will come out with a 223 wylde barrel with a 1:8 twist?
View Quote

The only way would be to have one made at a considerable cost
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The answer is never. The Austrians are complacent with the AUG design and rarely make substantial changes because it works and they don't believe there's anything to fix.

View Quote

another answer: there is no point in doing a Wylde chambered AUG
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
another answer: there is no point in doing a Wylde chambered AUG
View Quote
This.

NATO spec chamber, 2 twist rates, and 2 barrel threads, with various lengths, are enough options.

Let's just try to get them back to producing quality chrome-lined barrels first.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
As said.. not going to happen..
A friend of mine, huge aug fan, is till waiting for 300blk barrels that were rumored years ago..
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Steyr doesn’t even keep up with production let alone innovation. I like them but by the time they come out with something new it’s years before it’s readily available and at the time it comes out it’s typically missing one item common with the competition to be current. Still like my A1 and. T AUG but wish I could actually find a A2 and it had a optics plate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As said.. not going to happen..
A friend of mine, huge aug fan, is till waiting for 300blk barrels that were rumored years ago..
View Quote

Yes.....would love a .300 BO barrel
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The 300blk barrels are fielded. Steyr just doesnt care for consumers/civilians.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 300blk barrels are fielded. Steyr just doesnt care for consumers/civilians.
View Quote
Does any LE in the US have them?

(Or the new NATO stocks with the A3 bolt release)?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone else notice the AUG barrels have disappeared off the Steyr site?  Had been waiting for a sale on the 16" barrels...
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice the AUG barrels have disappeared off the Steyr site?  Had been waiting for a sale on the 16" barrels...
View Quote
Yeah I noticed that too.
Maybe they'll be back for another Black Friday sale. That's when I snagged my last chrome-lined one (24" LMG barrel with bipod) a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does any LE in the US have them?
(Or the new NATO stocks with the A3 bolt release)?
View Quote

I dont have any information for the US.
The Austrian police uses some 300blk with the stanag stock with bolt release.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was looking for a NATO stock earlier and those are gone too.

What gives?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought mine several years ago. One of the last ones Pete had. He said at the time he probably wouldn't sell them again as they were slow sellers. [and not cheap even if on sale]

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Heck, they don't even chrome line their barrels anymore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe they pulled them as they are going to start offering CL'd barrels again?  A guy can hope can't he?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
They also pulled the stocks as well, Something new on its way?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
When did they stop chrome lining?

That seems like a step backwards, but I guess cheaper for them to produce.

Glad I have a couple of extra barrels now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#20]
In the past I've noticed that Steyr pulls inventory off their website when they're low on parts to build rifles.

Their inventory comes in from Austria on a boat and any number of things could hold up products reaching Alabama. I'd guess that they're putting together as many AUGs as possible due to high demand at this time and needed to keep product for guns, not online sales.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When did they stop chrome lining?

That seems like a step backwards, but I guess cheaper for them to produce.

Glad I have a couple of extra barrels now.
View Quote

Late 2018 , they stopped when they switched from FN to unfinished Austrian blanks. They couldn’t get the plating right so they nitrided them instead and charged more for each bbl.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Late 2018 , they stopped when they switched from FN to unfinished Austrian blanks. They couldn’t get the plating right so they nitrided them instead and charged more for each bbl.
View Quote

I think around that same time (Oct 2018) they sold some 1/7 CL barrels. I wonder if they made them then or if they were leftovers from the first run of 1/7s a while back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder if they made them then or if they were leftovers from the first run of 1/7s a while back.
View Quote
Supposedly there were only 2 production runs of the 1/7 CL barrels. (Both metric.)

First run was marked with a 7, while the second run was unmarked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]
How about a CL barrel I bought around 2015-16, 16'' Has ''Made in the USA, 5.56x45/.223.'' on it and a mark by the splines. C9 or something like that, kind of faint and not real legible.

ETA, I think there is a 1202 stamped on it also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Supposedly there were only 2 production runs of the 1/7 CL barrels. (Both metric.)

View Quote

Ah yep, that's right. I have some from both runs and still have the hangtags on the latest because they're not marked. If I took the tags off they'd get mixed in with 1/9 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ah yep, that's right. I have some from both runs and still have the hangtags on the latest because they're not marked. If I took the tags off they'd get mixed in with 1/9 barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suggest you verify twist rate on the “unmarked” 1/7 barrels. I purchased one and after checking twist rate found it was actually 1/9.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I suggest you verify twist rate on the “unmarked” 1/7 barrels. I purchased one and after checking twist rate found it was actually 1/9.
View Quote

Did yours have a white hangtag attached to the FH marked "1/7"?

I'll still check anyways. How tight does the rod need to be to get an accurate reading?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How tight does the rod need to be to get an accurate reading?
View Quote

Just need regular (1-piece preferably) cleaning rod and jag/loop set up tight enough that the patch will firmly engage the rifling. It's fine if the rod can rotate/unscrew at first... You just set it up for 9" of free travel, mark top dead center, and either push or pull it so the pieces are tight (not unscrewing due to movement, but trying to get tighter while bottomed-out.) Allow your fingers to rotate with the rod, and after 7 or 9 inches you'll get a full revolution and your mark will be TDC again. Whatever distance that revolution took on the rod is your twist rate.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What length were those barrels? I have some extra barrels(20" & 24")I bought from Pete a long time ago, it seems.

I'd like to know what I have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What length were those barrels? I have some extra barrels(20" & 24")I bought from Pete a long time ago, it seems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
16" only for 1/7 twist.

First run:
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
The second run of FN AUG barrels in 1/7 came from FN with a hangtag marked as 1/7. Yes, a hangtag. Depending on who you purchased your 1/7 barrel from, it may or may not have that hangtag. Steyr and/or FN messed up (in my opinion) by not marking the barrels as 1/7.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/1-7-steyr-AUG-barrels-are-back-FYI-deal-alert-/43-482282/?page=1&anc=bottom#i4868780
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Brand new AK barrels from FB Radom and Cugir have been imported to the US in recent years, not sure why Steyr cant figure this out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks KitBuilder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#33]
You're welcome.

View Quote
Chrome-lined on left (note the large chrome ring.)
Polished nitride (which Steyr calls Mannox finish) on right.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
have any of you that have both chrome lined and nitrided barrels shot them against each other to see if there is an accuracy (really precision) difference?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top