Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2020 9:07:17 PM EDT
Always wanted one and finally received it today. Ordered last week from buds. $1650

Looks like the tulip muzzle device too. I initially thought this was chrome but just dug up some pics of the nitrided barrels and I’m not sure now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful, you will love it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beautiful, you will love it.
View Quote
I cannot wait to shoot it. Trigger really isn’t the worst thing ever like I was led to believe.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Newb AUG question. What is this threading on the barrel for?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Newb AUG question. What is this threading on the barrel for?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/500236/5F781EA9-4F26-4CCA-B35E-895E9B780D2E_jpe-1320825.JPG
View Quote
5.56 - bayonet lug
9mm - flash hider, muzzle brake, or suppressor
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
5.56 - bayonet lug
9mm - flash hider, muzzle brake, or suppressor
View Quote
Yeah, what he said.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You're going to love it.  Don't worry about the chrome vs. nitrided thing.  I have a nitrided barrel and got multiple sub-MOA 3-shot groups with it.  It's also a genuine Steyr barrel, and Steyr makes absolutely amazing barrels.  It is a great shooter.  Mine has quickly become my favorite semi-auto rifle and it's a huge attention getter at the range.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The rings around the check nut and FH (and also on the barrel) denote 1/2x28 threaded barrels. Looks like you have a nitrided barrel. There's probably not many chrome lined old stock guns floating around anymore.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The rings around the check nut and FH (and also on the barrel) denote 1/2x28 threaded barrels. Looks like you have a nitrided barrel. There's probably not many chrome lined old stock guns floating around anymore.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500236/871F5155-02FF-4B7D-8EF9-B7F77A9C6A9D_jpe-1320719.JPG
View Quote
Thanks. I am definitely glad I didn’t get a standard A2 flashhider.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're going to love it.  Don't worry about the chrome vs. nitrided thing.  I have a nitrided barrel and got multiple sub-MOA 3-shot groups with it.  It's also a genuine Steyr barrel, and Steyr makes absolutely amazing barrels.  It is a great shooter.  Mine has quickly become my favorite semi-auto rifle and it's a huge attention getter at the range.
View Quote
Great to hear.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!  get out there and shoot it.

After you have shot it a bit, give Corvus Defensio a look to see some nice aftermarket upgrades - they help the gun, but the gun does not absolutely need them to be fantastic.

Quick Tip:  When inserting a mag, don't insert and "tap" the mag - with AUG mags, you might pop a round out and cause a malfunction.  All you need to do is insert and a quick tug to make sure it is seated and she is ready to roll.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The comment about the flash hider denoting the type of barrel is wrong if that’s what your referencing just as a FYI. Barrel looks nitrated to me but need a more in focused picture to tell
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The comment about the flash hider denoting the type of barrel is wrong if that’s what your referencing just as a FYI. Barrel looks nitrated to me but need a more in focused picture to tell
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just referring to the classic aug flash hider vs an A2 which is what I was expecting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Well done OP.  I really enjoy my AUG.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like they may have listened about people not liking the A2 FH on the AUG.  Good!  Looks good, OP!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]
If only they'd listen to us about high-quality chrome lining.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Exactly what I want. I've almost FOd like three times in the last week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If only they'd listen to us about high-quality chrome lining.
View Quote
It is maybe the quickest change barrel system there is and at 1600 you can spend that extra coin on a barrel you like, if you find one
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is maybe the quickest change barrel system there is and at 1600 you can spend that extra coin on a barrel you like, if you find one
View Quote
I did while they were readily available.

Production moving forward is another concern, and it'll really affect whether I buy more products from Steyr.

It's a little slower than changing my M60 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Exactly what I want. I've almost FOd like three times in the last week.
View Quote
Same here. I want the non NATO and I wanted it green.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did while they were readily available.

Production moving forward is another concern, and it'll really affect whether I buy more products from Steyr.

It's a little slower than changing my M60 barrel.
View Quote
Can you fill me in on this?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I really want one...
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I will say even though it’s a new firearm I’m surprised how stiff the charging system is. It definitely needs to be shot and run hard for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you mean. My comment isn't incorrect as my information is direct from Steyr's gunsmith...

Steyr never made 1/2x28 in chrome, only nitride. Those barrels were given a "ring" near the threads to denote the change to a US thread pattern. See first picture below. Steyr's mistake of using the A2 FH has been remedied with the tulip style FH and check nut, which now has a similar ring to denote that they're 1/2x28. See the second picture below from the OP.

Logically, if an AUG barrel is 1/2x28 it is nitrided. Likewise if you have a new production gun it will be nitride because Steyr's not chrome lining the AUG barrels any longer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can you fill me in on this?
View Quote
Steyr is no longer offering chrome-lined AUG barrels to the US market, apparently.

The most recent chrome-lined barrels they previously offered were of poor quality.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Easy way to find out if it is chrome or nitrided is to call the manufacturer.  They will know by serial number exactly how the rifle was made.  It sounds like you already did that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean. My comment isn't incorrect as my information is direct from Steyr's gunsmith...

Steyr never made 1/2x28 in chrome, only nitride. Those barrels were given a "ring" near the threads to denote the change to a US thread pattern. See first picture below. Steyr's mistake of using the A2 FH has been remedied with the tulip style FH and check nut, which now has a similar ring to denote that they're 1/2x28. See the second picture below from the OP.

Logically, if an AUG barrel is 1/2x28 it is nitrided. Likewise if you have a new production gun it will be nitride because Steyr's not chrome lining the AUG barrels any longer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198164/Screenshot_20200318-133842_2_png-1321781.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198164/IMG_20200307_120901557_2_jpg-1321784.JPG
View Quote
Not sure what you said but I’m referencing the the if it’s a tulip flashhider it’s chrome and if it’s A2 abomination it’s nitrated. Keep seeing this said in multiple forums and above some where here is looked like they were saying it’s tulip so must be chrome, although what your saying may be where it was misconstrued from as in telephone and changed from that to flashhider to type rather than thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I sent Steyr an inquiry about their anniversary AUGs concerning the barrels being chrome lined or nitrided. They replied that the newer AUGs were all nitrided, even the newer anniversary models.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Easy way to find out if it is chrome or nitrided is to call the manufacturer.  They will know by serial number exactly how the rifle was made.  It sounds like you already did that.
View Quote
Actually there has been discrepancies with contacting Steyr over this particular issue especially in the transitional period. Usually you can tell by Just looking.

Look for the chrome ring on the back.

Nitrided (small polished ring)

Chrome Lined (large chrome ring)
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not sure what you said but I’m referencing the the if it’s a tulip flashhider it’s chrome and if it’s A2 abomination it’s nitrated. Keep seeing this said in multiple forums and above some where here is looked like they were saying it’s tulip so must be chrome, although what your saying may be where it was misconstrued from as in telephone and changed from that to flashhider to type rather than thread
View Quote
Makes sense. Steyr should have just not done nitrided barrels except as a replacement 1/2x28 1/7 option. That would make sense so of course Steyr wouldn't ever do that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I sent Steyr an inquiry about their anniversary AUGs concerning the barrels being chrome lined or nitrided. They replied that the newer AUGs were all nitrided, even the newer anniversary models.
View Quote
Yuck.

But those anniversary AUGs were/are half-assed "A1s" anyways.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Makes sense. Steyr should have just not done nitrided barrels except as a replacement 1/2x28 1/7 option. That would make sense so of course Steyr wouldn't ever do that.
View Quote
Steyr doesn’t seem to even meet the demand there is let alone support it much at all. Been looking for a l9A2 for awhile now. Really like my A1
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, they don't.  I bought one around December of 2018 which was before the whole switch over from chrome lined to nitriding announced.  When i called, I was told the barrel should be chrome lined but they couldn't be sure even with the serial number.  I sent picture and was told that it was chrome lined.  Later found out here when comparing it to known nitrided barrels it wasn't.  The rifle was manufactured November 2018 and had a ntirided barrel whcih was before Steyr announced the switch over and was still adverting the barrels as chrome lined on the website.  Either Steyr was being blatantly dishonest about it all or they didn't know what the heck is going on, which is just as bad.  The rifle got sold for something else but I do miss my AUG which was why I started the thread wondering how the nitrided barrels are holding up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

that would have been the best option. the way i understood it, they took over the barrel manufacturing from FN because of QC issues with them. if Steyr doesn't have the ability to chrome line in-house, I still say that they should contract out that portion of the job to someone like Daniel Defense or Criterion. the default configuration should be with the Euro threading and tulip fh, with the 1/2x28 threaded barrels as an option
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Although the weather here has been garbage I had to take the AUG out yesterday. In short......I love this thing.

Different manual of arms and recoil for sure but it was very manageable. My plan was to sight it in but I did do a bit of running and shooting drills with it. I sighted it in with a red dot and a PA 2.5x I had sitting around. I think I liked the red dot better as it fit the cqb style of the gun, quick point and shooting.

Not one failure. I put 250 rounds of wolf gold through it and some wolf steel case just to see if I’d run it. Ran great and ejected everything in a nice little pile about a mile away.

I didn’t take my time to get tiny little groups and the only rest I had was an old pelican case. Needless to say it shot just fine.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Put a red dot I threw together in a lower 1/3 adm mount. Grouped absolutely dead on and I never touched the adjustments. That rarely if ever happens but it was awesome!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#38]
This was kinda disappointing. Before I’d even shot it the paint had chipped off the corner. I’m not one for having a perfect looking gun, but I guess I’d rather make a mark from actual use versus sitting in a case.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry for the spacing errors. This site has AIDS currently

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't even see the chip.  

Glad to see she's runnin' good!   I absolutely love my AUG.  

At first, I never thought I would like the cross bolt safety but there was something I noticed.  Assuming you are right handed, when the gun is slung over your back, the gun has the tendency to always keep the safety ON when it is bouncing on your back or dragging over your gear.

I was one of those luck guys whose safety on his M16 (regardless of which M16 I was carrying or when ) always liked to try to make its way to the fire position.  I was FOREVER checking that and I still do, even on the AUG...but it's nice to know there is some little friendly anecdote to the AUG design.

Here is how I think of the AUG:  take an M14 gas system, apply it to an AR-18, flip the AR-18 guide rods around and use one as the operating rod and the other as the charging handle extension.  Omit the cam pin track in the receiver and replace it with the much shorter and easier to implement cam guide shield around the bolt and you have an AUG.

It's a BRILLIANT gun.  I run a 20 inch barrel yet my AUG with a 20 inch barrel is 1/2 inch shorter than a CAR-15 with the stock collapsed.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't even see the chip.  

Glad to see she's runnin' good!   I absolutely love my AUG.  

At first, I never thought I would like the cross bolt safety but there was something I noticed.  Assuming you are right handed, when the gun is slung over your back, the gun has the tendency to always keep the safety ON when it is bouncing on your back or dragging over your gear.

I was one of those luck guys whose safety on his M16 (regardless of which M16 I was carrying or when ) always liked to try to make its way to the fire position.  I was FOREVER checking that and I still do, even on the AUG...but it's nice to know there is some little friendly anecdote to the AUG design.

Here is how I think of the AUG:  take an M14 gas system, apply it to an AR-18, flip the AR-18 guide rods around and use one as the operating rod and the other as the charging handle extension.  Omit the cam pin track in the receiver and replace it with the much shorter and easier to implement cam guide shield around the bolt and you have an AUG.

It's a BRILLIANT gun.  I run a 20 inch barrel yet my AUG with a 20 inch barrel is 1/2 inch shorter than a CAR-15 with the stock collapsed.  

View Quote

Thanks!

I don’t mind the crossbolt safety at all. The sling point up front is.... odd. I’m going to try and use it for awhile as I’m sure it’s just because it different from what I’m used to.

Great breakdown of the aug op system. I have a lot to learn with it, and am so far very happy it’s living up to all the greatness I had it in my mind,

Went ahead and ordered 5 more of the used mags from apex. That will bring me up to 10. I think I’m going to put the dot back on it for the time being. It keeps it nice and light. Any options for optics share them please!

Next I’d like to get a light on her. The side pic mount seems like I’d only work well with a pressure pad.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

that would have been the best option. the way i understood it, they took over the barrel manufacturing from FN because of QC issues with them. if Steyr doesn't have the ability to chrome line in-house, I still say that they should contract out that portion of the job to someone like Daniel Defense or Criterion. the default configuration should be with the Euro threading and tulip fh, with the 1/2x28 threaded barrels as an option
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d LOVE a daniel defense 1/7 AUG barrel!

We can dream i guess...

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Figured I'd pull the trigger today, but the good deals are sold out. Should've bought it two weeks ago when I decided I wanted one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Figured I'd pull the trigger today, but the good deals are sold out. Should've bought it two weeks ago when I decided I wanted one.
View Quote

1628 shipped still in stock at BDU and they have white too! Both NATO and AUG styles. Mud in aug, black in NATO all in stock too

Edit: Atlantic has some still in stock and Atlantic is awesome to deal with. Actually where I got my mud aug from
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1628 shipped still in stock at BDU and they have white too! Both NATO and AUG styles. Mud in aug, black in NATO all in stock too

Edit: Atlantic has some still in stock and Atlantic is awesome to deal with. Actually where I got my mud aug from
View Quote

BDU was the first place I checked! They've got mud, grey, and white, but I really really want OD green.

kinda tempted to just get mud
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven’t seen green in stock but it’s clearly lesser to the amazing mud!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I mean green is the cats ass.... mud isn’t bad though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I hate you guys... I’m so jealous..
Was planning to pick up my late 90s A1 early this month but due to the beerflu I’m not allowed to leave home...
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hate you guys... I’m so jealous..
Was planning to pick up my late 90s A1 early this month but due to the beerflu I’m not allowed to leave home...
View Quote

It will be waiting for you! Also at least you will get one. I have a feeling these will be sold out for quite some time, especially as production is beginning to get effected now.

I’ll shoot a few rounds for you today Frens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah plus steyr seems to go dry for awhile and I don’t know that I have seen them for 1600 before, maybe they have but I didn’t see it. Plus get a white one and make a Star Wars storm trooper gun!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top