Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2020 4:16:55 PM EDT
A buddy had a few old AUG stocks that weren’t of any use as they were for full auto and was just gonna chuck them.  I don’t have any use for them either but I grabbed a couple as I was curious just how tough they really are.

To start with I simply dropped and eight pound sledge hammer from about 2-3 feet onto it.  The rear of the stock showed no damage, really not even much cosmetic impact:

Attachment Attached File

Move a little forward and there is some damage to the takedown/ejection pin area.  My guess is that if the guts were inside there would be no damage just because the takedown pin would provide some further support.

Attachment Attached File

Above the safety fared similarly:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The front of the stock also seemed prone to damage when hit directly.  Obviously it would never be subject to such a blow under normal circumstances with a receiver installed:

Attachment Attached File

Start giving it a few good swings and it comes apart these are good swings from an 8lb sledge.  Not sure if there is any point to this but it does give me a little more confidence about the strength of the stock assembly.  We aren’t allowed to have good fireworks here but it would be interesting to stuff the thing with M80s (or whatever the kids get these days) and try to blow it apart from the inside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
One final thing...  I was curious how they might handle some heat so I doused one in gasoline and set it on fire.  The gas burned off and there were some scorch marks on a few areas but otherwise no damage.

Hope nobody takes offense at this, it’s not a scientific test in the slightest but as there was no discernible use for them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be my guess that most small arms would yield similar results from that test.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be my guess that most small arms would yield similar results from that test.
View Quote
Probably...  I guess one of the things I have read on various forums over the years extols the virtues of old wood and steel rifles that you could clobber someone over the head with or could attach a bayonet to and really go to work.  The more modern rifles don’t seem to be regarded as so sturdy and bull pups in particular seem to get regarded as more delicate still as they often have considerable amounts of plastic in their structure.  I haven’t seen much in the way of people deliberately trying to smash up an AUG stock or similar so I figured it might be interesting to see what happened.  Not scientific in any way but I’m now convinced that the AUG stock is pretty tough and it’s not prone to coming apart at the seams.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I have one? I need a spare (SOT 02)

ETA I'll pay shipping plus a few bucks for your trouble haha
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha, make that a third 07/02 who would gladly take one and pay shipping. Please don’t discard or destroy FA AUG stocks. They can still serve a purpose.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Will ask my buddy, he had a bunch of stuff cleaning out his shop.  I already smashed the ones I grabbed and don’t recall seeing any others but will check.  I wouldn’t have guessed anybody was interested in them as they were pretty beat up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I gold no ill will against anyone doing to their property as they please, but those poor stocks could have had good homes to go to.

Here's sustained fire and the aftermath of trying to salvage parts out of an A1.

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like a FA trigger that's actually green, if you're able to spare one. I can PP you more than shipping cost.

I have one of the Malaysian stocks for use with my auto pack, but its trigger is bleached out almost white.

If you'd rather not strip a trigger I'll pay you for the whole stock too, of course. Either way.

ETA: Also... if you've got some FA stock rods that aren't bent, I'd like to see if they can be removed and retrofitted into a SA stock, since no one seems to have tried that before. Not sure if the rivet head part can re-rivet, but I maybe could drill & tap them for machine screws instead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like a FA trigger that's actually green, if you're able to spare one. I can PP you more than shipping cost.

I have one of the Malaysian stocks for use with my auto pack, but its trigger is bleached out almost white.
View Quote
think I have one.. maybe.. somewhere.. I’m not at home but I can check in a couple of days.
I’m in EU but could ship it if you can’t find one in the US
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Would not have guessed that anybody would be interested, can’t help with guide rods as they went out in today’s trash.  Dunno what happened to the triggers or anything else.

Quoted:
I gold no ill will against anyone doing to their property as they please, but those poor stocks could have had good homes to go to.

Here's sustained fire and the aftermath of trying to salvage parts out of an A1.

https://i.imgur.com/7qYX0pl.jpg
View Quote
So obviously that poor rifle was proper cooked.  Was anything significant salvageable?  The mag well area looks burned enough that it would be a problem but would the bolt carrier cycle?  Was it in a house fire or something?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would not have guessed that anybody would be interested, can’t help with guide rods as they went out in today’s trash.  Dunno what happened to the triggers or anything else.

So obviously that poor rifle was proper cooked.  Was anything significant salvageable?  The mag well area looks burned enough that it would be a problem but would the bolt carrier cycle?  Was it in a house fire or something?
View Quote
House fire. Gun was refinished and rebuilt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top