Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2020 8:26:42 PM EDT
I'm contemplating doing a Form 1 for my X95 and ordering the SBR kit and thin plastic buttpad from IWI.

My only question, and one I can't seem to find an answer on, is the engraving.

ATF requires either the barrel or receiver to be engraved. The barrel is out, since virtually none of it will be visible.

That leaves the receiver.

I found an old thread on another site where a person had their engraver mill out a section of the plastic to expose the metal chassis, and had the metal underneath engraved.

My question is, is that necessary?

Would I be able to have my info engraved directly into the polymer, below where IWI had their info engraved? Or does it have to be into the steel underneath to meet the ATF's requirements? I'd imagine if IWI is allowed to engrave into the polymer, I should be able to do the same. But I'm far from a NFA expert.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you must have it engraved into the metal sub frame of the gun. The left side of the gun from the factory has that elongated  oval section of the plastic milled out and engraved. I had my guy duplicate that exact thing, about the size of a 500mg naproxen pill on the opposite side on the right of the receiver. He laser cut it out then laser engraved the trust name and city per ATF also height and depth requirements. Looks like it came from the factory. Cost about $75-$80 took like 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes you must have it engraved into the metal sub frame of the gun. The left side of the gun from the factory has that elongated  oval section of the plastic milled out and engraved. I had my guy duplicate that exact thing, about the size of a 500mg naproxen pill on the opposite side on the right of the receiver. He laser cut it out then laser engraved the trust name and city per ATF also height and depth requirements. Looks like it came from the factory. Cost about $75-$80 took like 20 minutes.
View Quote
You have any pics?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except for this  
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Except for this  
Sounds good.
View Quote
Yeah, I had always heard that you could engrave or stamp the polymer as long as it was in a visible location and met their minimum marking requirements (size, depth).
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It has to be on the receiver, barrel, or slide (for appropriate pistols) but it doesn't have to be in metal.

There is also only a depth requirement, not a height or size, for the name and location markings.

Only serial numbers have the size requirement.

If you have SBR specific questions, you might get them answered reading around in the NFA subforum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top