Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2020 2:20:49 PM EDT
I can get both about the same price but I’ll need to spend an extra $200+ On the left hand bolt to convert the AUG since I’m a left. I’d appreciate any feedback from owners, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Too soon for both? No wrong answer they are both awesome. X95 has more aftermarket support where aug is a pain to get some of the stuff, but the aug is a great performer. The take down of the aug barrel to me is a bit of a gimmick and steyr doesn’t do much for civis where IwI seems more invested but both are battle proven and widely used. Aug seem to get love for accuracy but the x95 accuracy is over stated. So basically which do you like because you will be happy both ways, if your ever near Phoenix you can try both of mine
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The AUG is ever so slightly cooler than the x95. You'll drop some bucks on magazines though. But If getting both isn't going to float...
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You can sell that RH bolt for $125 in half a second... There's a cost savings you're not accounting for unless you plan to keep the RH bolt.

The AUG is an excellent firearm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Had an X95, sold it and bought an AUG
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on getting the AR mag version so mag cost isn’t an issue. I’ll probably get the AUG, it’ll have to wait though I just picked up a Gideon Shadow today.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan on getting the AR mag version so mag cost isn’t an issue. I’ll probably get the AUG, it’ll have to wait though I just picked up a Gideon Shadow today.
View Quote
You lose the bolt catch and a trigger link with the NATO stock otherwise I would too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I opted to not get the NATO model. While the mags are a one trick pony, diversity can be good. Mags weren’t that expensive, Ive picked up some on sale as well as some from well respected members as lightly used mags.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If it gives you some perspective... I don't care all that much for semi-autos.  They're cool, and I keep a couple for defensive purposes, but I just don't enjoy shooting them that much.  The majority of my rifles are bolt actions.  I've shot everything at one point: milled AK, Galil, ARs, FALs, G3s, Beretta ARX, CZ Bren, SCAR 17, Tavor, etc.,  You get the picture.  The AUG is one of the very few semi-autos that I really, really, really enjoy.  It is fun, it is compact, it is accurate, and it just fits me so well.  I enjoy shooting it, too.  The impulse is different with the action happening at the back near your cheek vs. in front of you, and I like how it feels.  It is one of my favorite guns I've owned, and I will not sell it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought you couldn’t convert the NATO AUG to left hand?

Maybe I’m crazy. Don’t think there’s an ejection port on that side.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/2F6A90F2-0612-4C6F-8A02-1FF09708433F-1265777.jpg
View Quote
I hadn’t heard that at all, something to consider and now research. That’s disappointing though because I want the AUG more.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pull out your Dremel. Cut out an ejection port and install a cover on the right side.

Never done it, so I don't know if it's possible, but in theory it should be fine.

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hadn’t heard that at all, something to consider and now research. That’s disappointing though because I want the AUG more.
View Quote
I wanted a NATO stock for AR mag compatibility, but discovered the same thing.  Bought the standard model instead so I could swap a left hand bolt in it.  Mags aren’t outrageous so it wasn’t a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mags aren’t outrageous so it wasn’t a big deal.
View Quote
Right.  Not as cheap as AR mags, but as far as mags go the Magpul AUG mags are really cheap and very high quality.  BuyGunStuff has them right now for $14 a pop.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had both, just have the x95 now.  Traded the AUG for the x95.  I had a new AUG I got on a trade and later found out that Styer no longer was using chrome-lined barrels, which irritated for what the cost of the gun is.  I was also going to need to do some mods for suppressing it, and I think the LH threading too, and modding the charging handle, so it started to add up.  I also really like the x95 being the Israeli rifle and the newer manual of arms and no mods needed for me, but I did add the Manticore Arms buttpad.

I REALLY liked the AUG's ergos better shouldering it and it feels more maneuverable to me some and easier one handed.  I would try out both and see what you like.  I liked that the x95 has a chrome-lined barrel.  Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both, have shot both at our local rifle match, and both have their good points.

I'd rate the pros for the AUG as:
Flexibility, easy and fast to change barrels or swap sides, or even install the 9mmP kit (if you can find one).
Adjustable gas regulator.
Strips down farther easier.

Tavor pros:
Simpler than an AK with the best ergonomics I've ever experienced on a rifle.
Damn near soldier proof. IWI did a lot of engineering to make this rifle simple.
You can actually get the 9mmP kit for less than the price of a decent used car.
If you're left handed the Tavor can be totally swapped to LH, including the charging handle. That includes the 9mmP kit.

It really comes down to what you value in a rifle. The AUG just fits me like it was made for me, I like being able to detail strip it for cleaning, and I do use my 9mmP kit (snagged it when they 1st came in before prices went crazy).

The Tavor's simplicity comes at the price of some stuff (like barrel or caliber changes) being armorer level tasks that require breaking thread locked screws and needing tools. I'm not knocking that Tavor, it's just different than the AUG.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Try both, AUG by a mile for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Go find an AUG with a chrome-lined barrel while you still can (preferably a Sabre Defence barrel from early A3 production).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top