Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2020 3:18:21 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I have a question. I bought an 18" Tavor SAR. I wanted a 16.5" barrel but it just didn't work out that way. I found a brand new 16.5" barrel for sale. I'm thinking of picking it up and changing my 18" barrel out.

My questions -

Can I just take the 18" barrel out and put the 16.5" barrel in without any problems?

Do I need to worry about head spacing? I thought I read somewhere that this was an issue and IWI stated to order a bolt with a barrel to prevent this from occurring.

If there is anything that you can think of that might be a problem with doing this please let me know. I'm sure you guys have more experience with this than I do.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
IWI legal team requires sending in your rifle to get a new bolt so they can have the head space checked.   You can rent a set of gauges to check the head space but I’d be surprised if it is not gtg unless the barrel and or bolt have been shot many thousands of rounds.   Otherwise you should be able to swap the 18” barrel for 16.5” barrel by using the instructions in the manual.   There is a barrel lock which uses a unique wrench to unlock the barrel.   Bullpup Armory sell a wrench plus Shooting Sight makes a tool for the Tavor that has every tip needed to disassemble a SAR or X95.  You can also buy the barrel lock wrench from IWI.

Here is a link to the multi tool, Bullpup Armory list the IWI barrel wrench for $14.99.

https://www.bullpuparmory.com/Bullpup_Armory_Shooting_Sight_TAV_TOOL_p/ss-tav-tool.htm
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IWI legal team requires sending in your rifle to get a new bolt so they can have the head space checked.   You can rent a set of gauges to check the head space but I’d be surprised if it is not gtg unless the barrel and or bolt have been shot many thousands of rounds.   Otherwise you should be able to swap the 18” barrel for 16.5” barrel by using the instructions in the manual.   There is a barrel lock which uses a unique wrench to unlock the barrel.   Bullpup Armory sell a wrench plus Gear Head Works makes a tool for the Tavor that has every tip needed to disassemble a SAR or X95.  You can also buy the barrel lock wrench from IWI.
View Quote
Bought a x95 that was used, long story short the barrel lock, recoil pad, bolt and safety were all fucked. Sent it into IwI they did say since it was bought used no coverage, but after all the replacement, labor, and shipping it was 160 or so. I would just send it to IwI, they seem to be very reasonable and take care of it and if you do it wrong the barrel lock is messed like mine was and the pad will crack. Just a thought, Owen with IwI was super easy to work with
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everyone. I have an email sent to IWI and I will see what they say and maybe call as well. I probably should just go with the 18" barrel and forget about it. It's not that much difference in length. 1.5".
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. I have an email sent to IWI and I will see what they say and maybe call as well. I probably should just go with the 18" barrel and forget about it. It's not that much difference in length. 1.5".
View Quote
I went 18 with the sar since that’s what palmetto did the blow out sales on but if you want the shortest gun you can get without nfa I think it’s worth trying. That said it’s not a huge amount different. Honestly the sbr or any nfa paper  work isn’t bad, just a few of the additional requirements are a pain, state to state, friend/family taking it out etc.., overall those aren’t big but I hate the idea of asking permission (notification) to go to desert brutality when it was out of state or tiger valley and I have a buddy who uses my gear and we aren’t always squaded together. All that said I think the money is better spent on a trigger
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the 18" and I'm sure I am going to leave it and maybe save up and buy another one. I wouldn't mind an x95 at some point but I am in no rush to get one. I really like the SAR. I have not had it to the range yet to try out the trigger but just trying it out here at the house, it isn't that bad. I can tell the trigger is not like an of my stock AR's.

I doubt that I ever do an SBR. I'm also in Virginia, so I'm betting soon I won't have to worry about that anyways. I am official behind enemy lines.

I was thinking about putting two AR's up for trade and seeing if I can't get another SAR or x95. I have a couple of retro AR's and a 7" pistol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not just swap out the factory buttpad for an ultra thin one? Then your 18" model will be less than 1/2" longer than a 16.5" version and have a better length of pull and saves about 5 ounces of weight......Look into the X95s accuracy issues before buying.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not just swap out the factory buttpad for an ultra thin one? Then your 18" model will be less than 1/2" longer than a 16.5" version and have a better length of pull and saves about 5 ounces of weight......Look into the X95s accuracy issues before buying.
View Quote
Do you have a link to one of those buttpads? I'm also looking for the rail that goes under the factory handguard.

I have been seeing accuracy problems with the x95. A lot of videos out there on that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IWI legal team requires sending in your rifle to get a new bolt so they can have the head space checked.   You can rent a set of gauges to check the head space but I’d be surprised if it is not gtg unless the barrel and or bolt have been shot many thousands of rounds.
View Quote
This is the clincher. IWI's lawyers convinced the execs that our courts and judges are handing out undeserving settlements for no real good reason (and I can't say that they are wrong). So, IWI started requiring them or their authorized partners to verify headspace to avoid a liability settlement on bolts and barrels sold by IWI and it's partners. It isn't a technical issue, but legal one in a world full of frivolous lawsuits with monumental sized payouts that were completely undeserved.

Through tens of thousands of home-built ARs, mixing parts from different manufacturers, we see the occasional failed headspace check in this forum. The echo-chamber effect makes it sound as though it's more common than it really is. IWI is not mix and matching different brands of parts. They are the single source. I would be surprised if their own parts, unless found out of spec even before trying to headspace, would fail.

I would actually be very interested to hear from IWI, if they have even had a headspace check fail since implementing this policy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to one of those buttpads? I'm also looking for the rail that goes under the factory handguard.

I have been seeing accuracy problems with the x95. A lot of videos out there on that.
View Quote
I have the Manticore buttpad on both of my SARs but I don't know if they're still available.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Found it on gunbroker. It is not the manticore pad. This was a thin buttplate but for SAR models and for only 18" models.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember...IWI allowed bolt changes for almost two years until Israel changed the policy...there were 0 reported head space issues from conversions that people were doing...me included.

In all seriousness...think about it...it is a mass produced rifle...do you realllly think that head spaces varies so much that they will literally make a ton of different sized bolts and each is hand fit? I don't think so...it was a CYA thing from the lawyers in Israel.

Does IWI check headspace before sending a rifle out...100% yes...just as any good high quality manufacturer would before sending a rifle out.

Heck...not even the official armorer manual states that head check needs to be performed during bolt/barrel swaps...

I've done 3 different bolt/barrel changes on a Tavor SAR...not once has headspace changed...all bolts were exact same dimensions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Remember...IWI allowed bolt changes for almost two years until Israel changed the policy...there were 0 reported head space issues from conversions that people were doing...me included.

In all seriousness...think about it...it is a mass produced rifle...do you realllly think that head spaces varies so much that they will literally make a ton of different sized bolts and each is hand fit? I don't think so...it was a CYA thing from the lawyers in Israel.

Does IWI check headspace before sending a rifle out...100% yes...just as any good high quality manufacturer would before sending a rifle out.

Heck...not even the official armorer manual states that head check needs to be performed during bolt/barrel swaps...

I've done 3 different bolt/barrel changes on a Tavor SAR...not once has headspace changed...all bolts were exact same dimensions.
View Quote
I am interested in that barrel. I agree with you. I doubt that they would hand fit them all. You just couldn't do that and produce them in mass. I'm sure the headspace is checked on all the rifles just like an AR is. Just like I have done any time I build one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Bingo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bingo.
View Quote
I need to look and see if there are videos showing how to change a barrel out. I have not had a chance to take my Tavor apart and really look at it. Been in and out of ER with my dad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is all the vids you need. I can get a barrel swap done in about 5 minutes now...if that....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratworx+tavor+sar
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
IWI legal team requires sending in your rifle to get a new bolt so they can have the head space checked.   You can rent a set of gauges to check the head space but I’d be surprised if it is not gtg unless the barrel and or bolt have been shot many thousands of rounds.   Otherwise you should be able to swap the 18” barrel for 16.5” barrel by using the instructions in the manual.   There is a barrel lock which uses a unique wrench to unlock the barrel.   Bullpup Armory sell a wrench plus Shooting Sight makes a tool for the Tavor that has every tip needed to disassemble a SAR or X95.  You can also buy the barrel lock wrench from IWI.

Here is a link to the multi tool, Bullpup Armory list the IWI barrel wrench for $14.99.

https://www.bullpuparmory.com/Bullpup_Armory_Shooting_Sight_TAV_TOOL_p/ss-tav-tool.htm
View Quote
I’m kind of skeptical of the barrel wrench on that multi tool.

Considering how tight mine was the first and only time I had to take it off I’m not sure I could get enough torque with such a short handle or that if I did it wouldn’t break something on the tool.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Considering how tight mine was the first and only time I had to take it off I’m not sure I could get enough torque with such a short handle or that if I did it wouldn’t break something on the tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I am worried about snapping or breaking something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Just get the OEM wrench...its fairly cheap...there is no other proprietary tools needed on the Tavor...especially out in the field...

Everything that needs serviced in the field requires no tools...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I swapped my buttplate and its great.I have the 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I swapped my buttplate and its great.I have the 18" barrel.
View Quote
What one did you use? I saw one on Gunbroker that someone sent me and its flat. It brings the rifle down to what a 16.5" barrel would be.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry everyone that it has taken me some time to answer and reply to the answers given. I have been in the hospital with my father. He had another stroke. He is a bit weak and they are trying to get him strong enough to come home.

The wrench is interesting but I would like to have just the tool itself and maybe the wrench as well. I really love the Tavor and my Kel-Tec RDB. Major difference in them both. Tavor is rugged and it is my go to rifle next to my M4 clones.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Prayers for Dad, OP!

I have a 16" Tavor converted to 9mm. The tool came with the kit. While it's not like the AUG kit, field friendly swap, it could be done.

Now I'm wondering if I would have any issues swapping the stock barrel back in.

No, correct? Not a barrel swapping kind of guy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a SAR with the 18" barrel and love it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The multi tool works just fine for barrel swaps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the IWI barrel tool. I should be okay with everything else. I will be hopefully changing the barrel out this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top