Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2019 6:20:46 PM EDT
My SAR is a very early model.  I have found over the years that when running it suppressed, is will fail to eject and double feed about 5% of the time, but only when running brass 5.56mm NATO.  If i run Wolf or cheap steel cased .223, it will run like a top with the suppressor with 0 failures ever.  It only has the failures when running suppressed, I figure it is just over gassed due to the suppressor.  Anyone else had this issue?

Because I always prefer to shoot suppressed, I find I rarely shoot my Tavor and instead shoot my RDB or any of my adjustable gas system AR's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the very reason why I have held off on buying a Tavor.

They have adjustable gas on the 300blk version, but not the 5.56.

So, until they redesign, or there is an aftermarket way of adjusting the gas I'm sticking with my RDB.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine ran fine for a long time with my sdn6, then it started throwing the cases back into the ejection port. I have slow-mo vid of this. I've tried new extractor, new rubber extractor spring wanna be. The bolt carrier group is moving too fast because it's over gassed and worn in. I've also tried a plus 25% action spring. IwI told me that I should get a different suppressor, AAC said I should use a diffrent rifle. I've gone back to using and teaching with my AR
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the Tavor is known to not run well when suppressed. An ultra low back pressure can like an OSS would probably be what you need if you really wanted to suppress a Tavor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah the Tavor is known to not run well when suppressed. An ultra low back pressure can like an OSS would probably be what you need if you really wanted to suppress a Tavor.
View Quote
Only complaints I've ever seen were in this thread about it not running well. The usual complaint is that it is gassy. But it can be gassy and still run fine. Never had any issues with mine suppressed with an sdn6, and I've got about 7k through it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a tranquilo on mine (earliest version of the Tavor) and it runs well - even with wolf crap ammo.  never had a problem with it running suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only complaints I've ever seen were in this thread about it not running well. The usual complaint is that it is gassy. But it can be gassy and still run fine. Never had any issues with mine suppressed with an sdn6, and I've got about 7k through it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ammo and the specific suppressor plays a big part I'm sure, using weaker ammo like Wolf steel case and a low back pressure can would probably solve the issue for people having overgassing issues.

It's definitely a documented issue though. TFB encountered issues in their review running the SAR suppressed: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/22/review-iwi-tavor-x95/

I wanted to test Greg’s Tavor SAR suppressed to see how gassy the SAR is compared to the X95. We shot it with the Gemtech suppressor and Wolf Gold Ammo that I used on the X95. There was a considerable amount of gas much more prominent than the X95 but that was not the problem. The problem was the amount of FTE malfunctions. Using the GMT-Halo suppressor and Wolf Gold .223 ammo seem create the perfect combination to cause reliable malfunctions in the Tavor SAR. Brass would fail to eject and flip 180 degrees before the bolt would slam forward.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Low-pressure suppressors on Tavors....
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My SAR is 9mm and my X95 is 5.56, and both have run suppressed with no firing issues.  Since the 9mm is straight blowback, it’s probably not a valid comparison, but my X95 ran 100% with both UMC and Perfecta 55 grain FMJ.  I was using a Griffin Paladin on a flash hider taper mount.

Reliability was good, but it was definitely gassy.  I had an MI gasketed ejection port cover on the left, which seemed to work fine, and I didn’t notice any gas or see any signs of gas leakage around where the top rail joins the receiver, but my right eye was stinging almost immediately from gas coming out of the open ejection port.  Since the upper half of your face is right above the open ejection port, there seems little way to avoid the gas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top