Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2019 12:23:11 AM EDT
Are AUGs in the US still sold with the bizarre metric threading on the barrels that it's impossible to find mounts for, or do you need to buy an aftermarket barrel to have any hope of suppressing the things?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
They're still primarily M13x1 LH, but you can order a 1/2-28 threaded 16" barrel directly from Steyr now.
If you contact Pete Athens, he can probably sell you a complete AUG with the U.S. thread, if you'd prefer.

They also offer a special gas plug for suppressed use. It reduces bolt velocity in the suppressed setting.

I haven't had any trouble finding muzzle devices in M13x1 LH for my old M4-2000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
As stated above most AUGs up until recently have the retarted M13x1L thread. I'm currently setting mine up to be suppressed. The only company I could find that currently makes a mount in that thread is YHM. Everything else seemed to be out of production.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
AAC 3 prong, surefire.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Not the greatest suppressor hosts due to the gas piston pop. I put my M4-2000 on my AUG. AR-15 is still the best suppressor host I've found. But I mean it is still quieter than an unsuppressed AUG. No issues with gas in my face. Put it on grenade setting for quiet single shot action.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AAC 3 prong, surefire.
View Quote
I stand corrected. I thought they were out of production but rechecking those websites it appears they still make them
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I had my Microtech re threaded
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Check with RatWorx to see if they have any of their AUG cans left that bleed the gas off the valve into the can.  They were really neat.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check with RatWorx to see if they have any of their AUG cans left that bleed the gas off the valve into the can.  They were really neat.
View Quote
I need to look into that.

A while back there was rumor that Steyr was going to release OEM suppressors for the AUG.  Anyone heard anything else on that?  I read somewhere that's what the threads at the base of the barrel are for.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that's what the threads at the base of the barrel are for.
View Quote
The threads at the base of a 16" barrel are for a bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Silencerco makes one too.  I have their flash hider on mine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AAC 3 prong, surefire.
View Quote
Does surefire still make it?  Can’t find it in stock anywhere.  Optics planet has it but says will ship in 14-28 days so not sure how true that is
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]
There used to be a bunch of ratworx 1/2x28 adapters on gunbroker but I guess they’ve dried up. Worked fine for me and cheap. That with the suppressor plug and I’m golden. I had Pete loosen up the FH and nut on this 1:7 16” barrel before he shipped it to me

Edit: it’s still available on their site Here

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
That idea always seemed cool, but I haven't seen or heard of them in a while. I tried checking a few years back, they sort of just disappeared.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That idea always seemed cool, but I haven't seen or heard of them in a while. I tried checking a few years back, they sort of just disappeared.
View Quote
Added to that, there weren't any real reviews. It's tough to spend $800 or whatever they were asking on a can that doesn't have any data behind it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one of these about a year ago to run my SOCOM mini on my A3M1. So far as I know Surefire still makes their mounts in batches AAC has discontinued it, if you search you can probably find one of the SOCOM mounts online somewhere. I already had the can so this is why I went that way. YHM has mounts for the AUG and makes adapters for Silencerco cans as well so you could run one of theirs. I have run both both legacy and SOCOM cans from Surefire on my AUG with the suppressor capable gas plug and they worked well. I will say it may just be worth getting a 1/2X28 barrel now that they are available though.

I'm kinda stuck running AUG specific mounts because I am spoiled by my 1/7 twist barrel... I bought an 18" barrel with the intention to cut it down and have it re-threaded but never got around to it since I found the Surefire AUG mounts and prefer the faster twist of my 1/7 barrel.

Also I have heard some say that suppressor plug doesn't cycle in the suppressed setting without the can, this is not my experience. My rifle ran well in the suppressor setting even without the can.

Quoted:

Does surefire still make it?  Can’t find it in stock anywhere.  Optics planet has it but says will ship in 14-28 days so not sure how true that is
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]

I've got these for all of my 5.56 caliber rifles to use with my 240SD .308 suppressor and they include one with threads for the Steyr Aug.

https://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKOUT-51T-Flash-Hider_p_447.html

Or, you can buy this thread adapter to fit your 5.56 1/2 X 28 thread pitch.
https://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/2096.htm

Or, you can buy the new Steyr Aug barrels that are now being threaded for 1/2 X 28 here in the US for the Steyr Aug.
https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/augbarrel-1-2x28
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I got an AAC 51t blackout straight from AAC threaded for AUG threads. Problem is I haven’t gotten the gas plug yet so my AUG jams after 2 shots suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#18]
My LGS might have one of the SOCOM mounts still in stock.  They ordered a couple many moons ago, I figure they could never find one and chanced across someone on the EE who had bought an extra.  Then several months later they told me they had arrived.

Is a SOCOM mount what you want?  I will check if it is.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got an AAC 51t blackout straight from AAC threaded for AUG threads. Problem is I haven't gotten the gas plug yet so my AUG jams after 2 shots suppressed.
View Quote
It shouldn't.
It should have extra gas.

How is it jamming?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It shouldn't.

How is it jamming?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got an AAC 51t blackout straight from AAC threaded for AUG threads. Problem is I haven't gotten the gas plug yet so my AUG jams after 2 shots suppressed.
It shouldn't.

How is it jamming?
Yea it should be way overgassed. My Aug with factory gas plug and AAC Mini 4 and SDN6 is reliable but has terrible gas blowback. I still need to get the suppressor gas plug.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yea it should be way overgassed. My Aug with factory gas plug and AAC Mini 4 and SDN6 is reliable but has terrible gas blowback. I still need to get the suppressor gas plug.
View Quote
Yes- not a lot of fun to shoot
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought an AUG A3 M1 NATO.  IS there an easy way to determine which thread pitch on my barrel?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just bought an AUG A3 M1 NATO.  IS there an easy way to determine which thread pitch on my barrel?
View Quote
If it came w/ a AUG style tulip flash hider, it's M13x1 LH. The barrel would be chrome lined as well

If it has a A2 FH/no flash hider attached & not chromed. It's  a 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Neither of my Saker cans cause unpleasant gas on my AUG. I'm not using my suppressor plugs with either rifle.

I need to go through my spares since I have extra AUG stuff as I sold my CQC.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If it came w/ a AUG style tulip flash hider, it's M13x1 LH. The barrel would be chrome lined as well

If it has a A2 FH/no flash hider attached & not chromed. It's  a 1/2x28.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
:)
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Put a Surefire SOCOM 556 on a Steyr this weekend.

Honestly, pretty quiet and a real pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Running the Omega on the Steyr 16" 1/2x28 Barrel. Suppressor Gas Plug from PJ.

The rifle runs nicely on the suppressed setting with or without the suppressor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:The rifle runs nicely on the suppressed setting with or without the suppressor.
View Quote
That’s the problem, the suppressor setting is still overgassed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Added to that, there weren't any real reviews. It's tough to spend $800 or whatever they were asking on a can that doesn't have any data behind it.
I searched all over for info on that for a while.
Nothing.  Seriously only saw one member here post about it & that was because of fitment problems if I remember right.  And no follow up even though multiple post asking general questions about it.

I am still interested but need more info... something, anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's the problem, the suppressor setting is still overgassed.
View Quote
In the original suppressor gas plug thread, someone said that their AUG wouldn't run on the suppressor setting without a can
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:In the original suppressor gas plug thread, someone said that their AUG wouldn't run on the suppressor setting without a can
View Quote
That’s fine, it shouldn’t, but regardless, it’s still overgassed when suppressed.

They made the setting the wrong way anyway. They should have restricted the inlet port. Instead, they enlarged the exhaust port for even more port pop which is already bad to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Atlantic Firearms has the full rifle with 1/2x28 1/9 twist.

I got the email today.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got the email today.
View Quote
Very cool. Wish it was 1/7.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Very cool. Wish it was 1/7.
View Quote
1/7 has never been a SKU'd option. Very very few factory guns have gone out with 1/7 barrels, and those that were, were never advertised or marked as such.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I got the email today.
View Quote
I think their sale price is 1739. Before buying from Atlantic I'd contact Pete Athens of pjs-steyraug.com to see how his price compares. Typically Pete has the best AUG prices anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top