Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2019 12:18:01 PM EDT
Anyone have trouble with hexmags in the RDB. I have around 500 rounds through mine using Aluminum GI mags and PMAGS , mostly GI mags, with no problems. Today I tried the hexmags. Rifle double fed with all three i tried. Let me know your experience with hexmags.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m surprised yours runs with GI mags - they fall out of mine after one shot. PMAG M3 only for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I am surprised also. I purchased my rifle in February the day after it arrived a my local fun store. Did Kel Tec change something with the mag release?  With PMAGS the mag release is harder to operate and I have to pull them from the mag well.  GI mags lock in securely and are easier to release.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
While I really like the RDB, the plastic lower is probably the weakest part of the gun; I suspect the magwell simply isn't made to that great of tolerances, so you see this variation in mag compatibility (for example, mine can't shoot metallic mags without dropping them).  We really need to get someone making an aluminum or *quality* plastic lower.

I've never heard of people having feeding issues, though, so I'm inclined to question the mag itself.  Now, I did have a single Pmag that would fall out...but examination showed that it's catch was cut .02" higher than the other Pmags, so that was a Magpul quality issue.  I'd compare the Hexmags to your other mags that do work, and see if anything looks different.

If Pmags are tight in your magwell, I suspect the Hexmags are as well, so there may be some squeezing at the feed lips (or lack thereof) going on that is causing malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
No experience with the Hexmags, but have had no issues with the DH, Lancer or Pmags in mine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m surprised yours runs with GI mags - they fall out of mine after one shot. PMAG M3 only for me.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've run lancer new and old style, gi, pmag g1-3, hexmag and DD in mine all have worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised yours runs with GI mags - they fall out of mine after one shot. PMAG M3 only for me.
Same
Okay, I thought it was just me.  Pmags lock in with absolutely no movement whatsoever.

GI mags wiggle so badly I could probably just pull them straight out if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had nothing but problems with Hexmags, the feed lips flex and won't keep in rounds.  Pmag or Lancers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I really like the RDB, the plastic lower is probably the weakest part of the gun; I suspect the magwell simply isn't made to that great of tolerances, so you see this variation in mag compatibility (for example, mine can't shoot metallic mags without dropping them).  We really need to get someone making an aluminum or *quality* plastic lower.
View Quote
I'm not convinced it is the lower - I think the mag catch is junk. I love how Kel-Tec engineers think outside the box and find creative design solutions, but the way they did the RDB mag catch is unforgivably cheap and nasty. Of all the possible aftermarket accessory ideas, the one I would pay big money for is a properly designed and robust mag catch. I'd be happy to do 2-handed reloads - the "hit the catch with the heel of the hand" reload concept is horseshit under stress.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not convinced it is the lower - I think the mag catch is junk. I love how Kel-Tec engineers think outside the box and find creative design solutions, but the way they did the RDB mag catch is unforgivably cheap and nasty. Of all the possible aftermarket accessory ideas, the one I would pay big money for is a properly designed and robust mag catch. I'd be happy to do 2-handed reloads - the "hit the catch with the heel of the hand" reload concept is horseshit under stress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I've found it to work pretty well, personally (just not with metal mags).  I've heard nothing but good things from folks in competition even (small sample though).  I do wonder if a 2-3 piece spring loaded 'clamp' assembly might work better than the piece of spring steel, though.  If nothing else, a much more correct AR mag catch "tooth" fitted onto the part would help the mag drop issues.  But who knows, maybe Kel Tec tried that & found recoil could jar it loose (like how PS90 mags will pop out if you run ammo a little too hot, because the latch moves the same direction as the bolt).

Considering the way the gun's architecture is laid out, I just don't see how you could put an index-finger mag release up front.  Maybe a pistol-style thumb-release is doable (HK level style would be easiest to link backward) but there's already a big safety lever above the grip --that starts to get a little busy.  Same goes for the bolt release being where it is; there's just not any real estate where you'd need a control, because if you put it up front you have to somehow disengage it in order to field strip the gun across those separable component groups.  To keep everything contained in the lower & tied together, I say they did about as good as was possible.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
This might help with the magazine retention issues. This idea was created by Drifter on the M*carbo forum.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here is a link to the thread.
Improved RDB mag release

Quotes from link:

Popping out a mag with either right or left hand is nice but it is too weak. I had trouble with both cheaper polymer mags and classic steel. They just didn’t seem to hold well. Also, when I shot in the winter, thicker gloves tended to bump the release and drop the mags. Occasionally a mag would pop out after I fired, from the pressure exerted downward, as a new round was being stripped off the top and the mag comically dropped to my feet.

I wondered about those 3 holes in the release and this is what I came up with. Using a spring from a delta peerless faucet, a 3/16 short blind pop rivet, and a washer, I put together a small piece that added a bit more tension to the release. End result: it holds all mags, and thick gloves or inadvertent bumping no longer drops the magazine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top