Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2019 9:31:41 PM EDT
Bought my first AUG this week (used Sabre Defense mfg A3), completely expecting a terrible trigger from everything I've read - I'd even bough a 2020 TSM ahead of picking the rifle up.  Anyway, I found that the factory trigger was pretty good as-is ... No take up, very crisp, and not a huge amount of travel for reset.  I'm wondering how much the TSM can improve it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I found my new AUG trigger to be agreeable.  I read everyone talking about how bad it is so i had ordered a 2020 sear ahead of its arrival.  i went ahead and installed the 2020 anyway and its well worth it in my opinion.  I do have rifles with much worse triggers than the factory, but with the 2020 sear I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you check the trigger pack to see if it has the NEU trigger mod or anything like that?
View Quote
Absolutely.  Bought it on GB, and the seller even had a pic of the unmolested trigger module in the listing.  After I dry fired it, I wondered the same thing and pulled the trigger out to see if anything had been monkeyed with.  Box stock from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think mine is bad either. It's heavy, that's my only gripe. I installed the Neu-Trigger, it helps a little IMO
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think mine is bad either. It's heavy, that's my only gripe. I installed the Neu-Trigger, it helps a little IMO
View Quote
Exactly!  I think I want a few pounds lighter on the pull, but that's it.  I could totally get used to the pull as it is, but I've been spoiled with AR Gold, Geissele, and Larue triggers for years.

Can't wait to get to the range!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Exactly!  I think I want a few pounds lighter on the pull, but that's it.  I could totally get used to the pull as it is, but I've been spoiled with AR Gold, Geissele, and Larue triggers for years.

Can't wait to get to the range!!!
View Quote
2020 sear didnt change my pull weight any appreciable amount.  Did change travel in pull and reset most favorably, however.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A few years back I shot a buddies AUG machinegun and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to shoot singles,  doubles and mag dumps. Great trigger on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
My AUG A3 M1 stock trigger was decent for being a mil-spec bullpup trigger. It had some take up, a little bit of creep, and a crisp break. I used some polymer safe lube in the trigger pack which took out a decent amount of the creep. I then added a 20/20 sear for shits and grins which removed almost all the take up and shortened the reset. It is now a heavy-ish trigger with next to zero take up, a good break, and barely any reset. Its not going to win any long range accuracy challenges but its more than adequate for point blank to mid-range distances.

I have plenty of light triggers in my handguns and rifles but I am fine with my AUG's trigger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it's ok. Similar to every other service rifle trigger (from the factory).
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine was ok, but I still did the 2020.  Wish I woulda picked up a ratwork pack earlier when they were still available.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine was ok, but I still did the 2020.  Wish I woulda picked up a ratwork pack earlier when they were still available.
View Quote
As someone who has/had multiple of both, the 2020 TSM is by far a better product in my opinion.

I'll take a TSM any day over a hybrid hammerpack.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard so many horror stories. It’s not a Geissele or anything, but it’s a perfectly serviceable trigger and I’d put it ahead of a lot of rack grade AR triggers I’ve used in the past. Take that for what it’s worth, because I don’t think I’m very trigger sensitive. I didn’t complain about my Tavor’s trigger either and everyone hates it. While heavy, it was still easy enough to shoot, like a heavy DA trigger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Factory trigger is ok.
NEU upgrade makes it better.
The 20/20 sear is the best AUG trigger mod Ive shot to date
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Perfectly satisfactory.  Mine stacks up and then breaks like a Glock trigger but more crisp ( and a bit heavier, of course ) ....

I won't be changing it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]
While not an AUG per say. But my MSAR Trigger pack is exceptional. Zero mush...take up like an AR with a great reset.

If I didn’t know better, I would never would think it’s polymer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I had no issues with how the stock trigger felt, but the TSM just made it feel so much better with the travel and creep. Even took a trigger gauge to it and it consistently broke at 7.3lbs post TSM install.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I find the AUG trigger acceptable for combat. No it's not a match trigger or anything, but it's not that bad either. I was able to hit targets out pretty far with my stock AUG, mostly shooting out to 500 yards man sized steel targets with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody oil the 20/20 sear after every session like advised in the installation video?

MSAR and Aug Sear Trigger Installation from Rat Worx
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anybody oil the 20/20 sear after every session like advised in the installation video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4KWouHyJII
View Quote
The first TSM I got was the week it first came out. That was 5+ years ago. It's never had a drop of oil and I've never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4KWouHyJII
View Quote
He said service free so my understanding is he was referring to cleaning more than lubrication.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm really digging this rifle! Handles great - it's got other worldly balance and a great cheek weld.  As said, the rifle has a bit heavy pull compared to what I'm used to, but other than that, I am very impressed with the trigger. Zero travel/take up, you're at the "wall" right way.  It break crisps, and the trigger falls back a tenth or two of an inch. Reset is about where the trigger initially broke.  Hopefully the 2020 TSM can improve on this, but I'm so happy with it just the way it is.

Range pics this weekend for sure!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I think people are just spoiled by ar triggers and especially match grade ar triggers. Most don’t have much experience with anything else so they feel something worse and it gets exaggerated. Tavor, hk91/ptr91, AUG etc... the triggers are functional but can be tweaked to be nicer. At least that’s my $.02 on it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I also think the stock trigger is fine.
Very much like a Glock trigger in my opinion.
I also vote for installing the Neu trigger.
It’s cheap to buy and easy to install.
Brings the pull weight down a few pounds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought my first Steyr Aug back in the mid 2000's. I now have a Steyr Aug A3 and I love it. The trigger is the same as the early ones that I have had. I like the trigger. I bought a brand new Tavor SAR when they first came out and I absolutely despised that crap trigger which must have been about 10 lbs with a skinny trigger. I also hated that low top rail that required a riser to mount optics and be able to get a cheek weld. I dumped that Tavor for a $500 loss almost a month after I first bought it. If Geissele ever gets their Steyr Aug trigger pack perfected I will buy one. But, in the mean time I'm completely happy with the OEM trigger.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally shot my new AUG yesterday. The trigger is... meh at best, terrible at worst.

Will be buying either the Neu or 20/20 soon. Can’t decide which.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Finally shot my new AUG yesterday. The trigger is... meh at best, terrible at worst.

View Quote
Maybe there are variations on the AUG trigger modules out there?   Mine (10 year old Sabre Defense rifle) is quite nice!   I have the 20/20 TSM in hand, but don't see a need to put it in just yet.   I want to put some time in with the stock trigger first.

Anyway, I ran a bore scope through it tonight, and it's button rifled for sure.  Rifling is definitely better than what you would typically see, but doesn't look quite as nice as some of my really good shooting button rifled barrels I have (Larue, Ballistic Advantage, Black Hole Weaponry, etc.).  Hoping to take it out on Sunday - I think it'll do good!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm okay with the AUG trigger.

The Tavor on the other hand...
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe there are variations on the AUG trigger modules out there?   Mine (10 year old Sabre Defense rifle) is quite nice!   I have the 20/20 TSM in hand, but don't see a need to put it in just yet.   I want to put some time in with the stock trigger first.

Anyway, I ran a bore scope through it tonight, and it's button rifled for sure.  Rifling is definitely better than what you would typically see, but doesn't look quite as nice as some of my really good shooting button rifled barrels I have (Larue, Ballistic Advantage, Black Hole Weaponry, etc.).  Hoping to take it out on Sunday - I think it'll do good!
View Quote
Before SDI decided to be felonious, their barrels were regarded as some of the highest quality AR barrels out there. I'll take a sabre barrel over any mid production FN AUG barrel. FN got sloppy around 2014 in my opinion.

Also, shoot your AUG how you wish, but you're doing yourself a disservice by waiting to put in the 2020 TSM. AUG hammerpacks do not get lighter over time and their characteristics do not change over time either.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 20/20 is the single best mod for the AUG, the 2nd would be the Corvus mag release.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I simply lube my hammer packs with Armor-All, and I've found the trigger to be just fine for the 0-200 yard shooting envelope that I can reasonably expect expect my ammo stash to perform in.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The 20/20 is the single best mod for the AUG, the 2nd would be the Corvus mag release.
View Quote
I 100% agree with this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I 100% agree with this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I 100% agree with this.
Well I’m halfway there... first 2 parts I got were Corvus rail and mag release. Both are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I 100% agree with this.
View Quote
Have not tried mag release but 2020 sear worth every penny.  I went with corvus shell deflector second so i can shoot weak side as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Wasn't able to get out to the range today, but I went ahead and did the TSM install.  Man, it was way easier than I thought it would be (everything was done with fingers in about 10 minutes.  No tools aside from using a pencil to start the pins out), and a noticeable improvement with reset.

I've got a concern on the mag release on the side of the rifle.  This is a NATO version, so it's got that extra one above the mag, and I found the thing won't drop empty mags free if the bolt is open using this release.  They can be pulled out easy, but they don't drop on their own.  I'm assuming this is not normal?  The release on the bottom drops them free just fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#36]
My A3M1 was better than I expected. was expecting a lot more takeup and reset and was pleasantly surprised. I do just about the same shot for shot with a stock AR trigger.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I hated my aug trigger until I got the ratworx 2020 precision Roger Sun trigger pack .Too bad they are no longer available . It shrunk my groups in half and made a huge difference . 3.25 lbs, smooth, crisp and great reset .
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Just paid for a Neu trigger. For $39 I feel I can’t go wrong
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just paid for a Neu trigger. For $39 I feel I can’t go wrong
View Quote
Should have spent the extra $60 on the 2020 TSM. Neu trigger doesn't compare to how the TSM transforms the hammerpack.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Can not find the neu trigger on gunbroker,can you tell me where you purchased it? Thanks,Tommy
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Stoner001- You email him at his website http://www.neu-trigger.com/
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#42]
During the time I had my AUG I always found the trigger to be fine but if you handed me two ARs one with a milspec and one with some high end trigger I'm hard pressed to tell the difference.  Maybe I'm just not good enough of a shooter to feel a difference or something I dunno.  On the plus side this has always given me more money to spend on ammo
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the stock AUG trigger just fine.  I think I'm just weird and like soft, creepy triggers.  I shoot it way better than my AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top