Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2019 7:20:15 AM EDT
Anybody seen this thing yet? https://www.clawgear.com/de/AUG-M-LOK-Handguard-20108de1646/

First time I ever saw it was this new article: https://www.spartanat.com/2019/05/photo-file-clawgear-im-einsatz-beim-jagdkommando/
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It was discussed in a thread a few months ago. Someone wanted one the manufacturer wouldn’t ship to the US (fuck ITARS) someone was trying to help him google other German sites for an alternative. I don’t remember how it ended.

Edit: found it. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/What-are-the-Options-for-AUG-Foregrip-Replacement-Rails-/43-498008/

I don’t think anyone has any actual experience with one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm more interested in a picture at the second link. It shows a modified factory brass catcher that now only functions as a brass deflector...

Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm more interested in a picture at the second link. It shows a modified factory brass catcher that now only functions as a brass deflector...
View Quote
I’m surprised no ones copied the concept of the sheet metal ones for the g3. Do it in kydex mold it so it stays in place from friction and tension with the very front clip into the ejection port so it doesn’t slide back. Heck there are even kydex versions of the g3 one if I recall. The triangle shape of the top of the stock plus the spot where it gets slimmer would be good for it all to grip onto. The pic you are talking about is pretty close to what I’m talking about and would probably be close to ideal. Plus no small screws like the Corvus one.

G3/hk91 one I’m referring to.

Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, that is pretty rad. I didn't even notice that part.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Claw gear handguard looks nice BUT it clamps on the gasblock, which seems like a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Claw gear handguard looks nice BUT it clamps on the gasblock, which seems like a terrible idea.
View Quote
Yeah. Looks like it primarily uses the foregrip mounting pin and also grabs onto the gas block. Here is an installation video. The review on Spartanat says it does get hot under rapid fire.

Steyr AUG Handguard - Installation Guide Tutorial
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So basically a snap over brass deflector....like our Brass Buster that has been available for the last 10 years here in the USA?  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m surprised no ones copied the concept of the sheet metal ones for the g3. Do it in kydex mold it so it stays in place from friction and tension with the very front clip into the ejection port so it doesn’t slide back. Heck there are even kydex versions of the g3 one if I recall. The triangle shape of the top of the stock plus the spot where it gets slimmer would be good for it all to grip onto. The pic you are talking about is pretty close to what I’m talking about and would probably be close to ideal. Plus no small screws like the Corvus one.

G3/hk91 one I’m referring to.

https://www.spartanat.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/jako1.jpg
So basically a snap over brass deflector....like our Brass Buster that has been available for the last 10 years here in the USA?  

Sven
Manticore Arms
Brass buster is pretty close the only part its missing is a part that clips into the ejection port very minimally just to keep it from sliding back and fourth horizontally. I’d imagine yours couldn’t straddle the port like g3 ones because it’s meant to function on a whole host of variations/clones and on some the rear of the rail would end up interfering with fit. I could be wrong but I seem to recall people putting Velcro on the stock and another piece on the brass buster itself to serve the same function. Still a damn fine product for the money especially considering the only other alternative costs a lot more and has multiple reports of its small screws coming loose or out and then causing weapons malfunctions. I know the g3 ones lock on like a stage 5 clinger from the clamping which your product has taking care of any verticals movement and the parts that interface with the ejection port handling the horizontal which yours doesn’t.

Again not dissing your product and I am very appreciative of your company for making neat products for all sorts of niche firearms and your and ratworxs work putting together the BullPup shoots I used to drive to them all the way from VA 2011,13,14, and 15 I think
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the MA brass buster that came with my MSAR. I'm very happy with the brass buster but I'll admit to range use only.

I would consider another one if there was a way to attach it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone ever use the Midwest Industries AUG Handguard?

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Steyr-AUG-A3-M1-Replacement-Rail-p/mi-augmr.htm

Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The review on Spartanat says it does get hot under rapid fire.
View Quote
Uh, yeah that seems like a conclusion that could be reached without hands-on testing.

https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7abonV6K9irq7kaY
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Uh, yeah that seems like a conclusion that could be reached without hands-on testing.

https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7abonV6K9irq7kaY
View Quote
I try not to assume, but it does seem obvious.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually just received one of these exact hand guards, and have been using it on my AUG a3 m1. The short version is I really like it. It fits flush with the lines of the gun and feels rock solid once everything is tightened down. It installs with a crush pin through the old hand grip mount point, and then has a pair of screws that clamps the split back half of the hand guard around the gas block. Its super comfortable to hold, especially with an AFG 2 installed.

Only two real issues with it that I've seen so far. First is that it does get unpleasantly hot after 100 or so rounds if you mag dump, but if you are taking your time with aimed groupings it's fine. You could also use some rail covers and grip tape to cover the sections your hand comes in contact with, which is what I plan to do. The second is that there isn't a ton of rail space, especially on the side with the gas piston since the heat cover uses up one of only two available mlok slots on that side. Most of the other slots are all right under where your fingers rest when gripping the hand guard, so there's not a ton of available rails if you have more than a couple things you want to install.

Overall though, its a sleek and comfortable handguard  that I think does it's job well.

The importation process surprisingly wasn't all that hard, just time consuming. You need find someone willing to ship to the US who is in the EU, since they are the only people the manufacturer will ship to. Then, you need to use their contact info to file for an ATF form 6, which took about 2 weeks to get approved with efile.  Only major hiccup I had was that none of the resellers I could find were willing to ship to the US, so I had the use a packaging forwarding service.

If anyone has questions about the hand guard or the import process I'd be happy to answer them, but I'm limited to 2000 characters for my first post.

The hand guard in question installed on my rifle:
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I actually just received one of these exact hand guards, and have been using it on my AUG a3 m1. The short version is I really like it. It fits flush with the lines of the gun and feels rock solid once everything is tightened down. It installs with a crush pin through the old hand grip mount point, and then has a pair of screws that clamps the split back half of the hand guard around the gas block. Its super comfortable to hold, especially with an AFG 2 installed.

Only two real issues with it that I've seen so far. First is that it does get unpleasantly hot after 100 or so rounds if you mag dump, but if you are taking your time with aimed groupings it's fine. You could also use some rail covers and grip tape to cover the sections your hand comes in contact with, which is what I plan to do. The second is that there isn't a ton of rail space, especially on the side with the gas piston since the heat cover uses up one of only two available mlok slots on that side. Most of the other slots are all right under where your fingers rest when gripping the hand guard, so there's not a ton of available rails if you have more than a couple things you want to install.

Overall though, its a sleek and comfortable handguard  that I think does it's job well.

The importation process surprisingly wasn't all that hard, just time consuming. You need find someone willing to ship to the US who is in the EU, since they are the only people the manufacturer will ship to. Then, you need to use their contact info to file for an ATF form 6, which took about 2 weeks to get approved with efile.  Only major hiccup I had was that none of the resellers I could find were willing to ship to the US, so I had the use a packaging forwarding service.

If anyone has questions about the hand guard or the import process I'd be happy to answer them, but I'm limited to 2000 characters for my first post.

The hand guard in question installed on my rifle:
https://i.imgur.com/B30jzZU.png
View Quote
Dang, that looks beautiful.

I never even heard anybody mention a Form-6 before. Sell me yours LOLs  :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top