Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2019 4:12:45 PM EDT
Howdy all

So I picked up an AUG A3 M1 in January, and I've been really enjoying it. I basically just pulled it out of the box, slapped an optic on it, and started shooting it; it didn't see its first cleaning until 752 rounds in. During that time I had zero failures of any kind. In the last 200 rounds or so though (at 1251 total right now) I've experienced half a dozen or so "stovepipe" jams, with the bolt slamming shut on a not fully ejected casing (and usually mangling it). Yanking the magazine and racking the charging handle usually results in the empty mangled case and a live round dropping free.

I have a handful of factory Steyr 30s and 42s, and a dozen or so Magpul AUS mags. They're all practically brand new (purchased in January), but all of the failures have been with the Magpul mags, and generally (though not always) with the last few rounds in the mag. Has anyone else had issues with the PMags? As they're military issue for the Australians I wouldn't think they'd have endemic issues, but they seem to be recurring for me. Ammunition has all been Winchester M193; only modifications to the rifle are a 20/20 Precision sear and a GHW charging handle. Any inputs you guys have would be appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Call steyr , they are good people, they’ll probably know the solution for this issue
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call steyr , they are good people, they’ll probably know the solution for this issue
View Quote
That's what I'll do if I can't figure anything else out, but I'm hoping this is an end user serviceable issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Even though it should be broken in by now, try leaving the bolt locked back for a while
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked the piston gas rings fir properly staggered gaps?
We’re you depressing on the bolt release top when you reinserted the trigger pack?
Gas setting set to normal?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
For a data point:: no issues with pmags (AUS ) here.  I run them exclusively.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've only run a few of mine, the wife bought a bunch as a present no issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
only have one as I bought a ton of factory mags when they were dirt cheap, I tend to run it more than the others just to check on its functionality, no issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgot to add, i have six PMags and eleven Steyr mags. Ive yet to have a feeding issue that i didn't cause.
Slapping the magazine baseplate with the bolt retracted WILL dislodge the top cartridge
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Forgot to add, i have six PMags and eleven Steyr mags. Ive yet to have a feeding issue that i didn't cause.
Slapping the magazine baseplate with the bolt retracted WILL dislodge the top cartridge
View Quote
I was hoping this wasn't the case with the Pmags. So you are saying they do it too?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was hoping this wasn't the case with the Pmags. So you are saying they do it too?
View Quote
sorry....poor wording.

The Steyr mags are the only ones Ive had issues with. the Pmags have been 100% thus far.
I prefer to use the Steyr mags, I use the Mags for range beaters
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you checked the piston gas rings fir properly staggered gaps?
We’re you depressing on the bolt release top when you reinserted the trigger pack?
Gas setting set to normal?
View Quote
1. Didn't know that could cause issues; I'll check.

2. Yes

3. Honestly I haven't messed with it, it's on whatever it came set on from the factory. Once again, will check.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not for me.  I have purposely smacked the crap out of them...no rounds pop loose on the AUS P Mags for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not for me.  I have purposely smacked the crap out of them...no rounds pop loose on the AUS P Mags for me.
View Quote
Great to hear. I wonder if the mags I have need new springs installed?
I only had this happen with a few 30# mags. the 42 round mags I have don't do it.

This is a known issue with the Steyr mags, not sure what the fix may be
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I only had this happen with a few 30# mags. the 42 round mags I have don't do it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no fix. The feed lips don't control the cartridge enough to prevent the top round from popping out. It would require new feed lips to fix.

I don't understand the love for AUG mags here. They suck. I say this as someone who really likes my AUG.

AR-15 magazines are far better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Other than not having an ATRAX to put them in....

Glad I bought a used x95 while I was waiting...
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
X95 is gross.

The AUG takes AR-15 mags you know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
X95 is gross.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X95 is gross.

You have to get a NATO stock for an AUG will take AR mags you know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X95 is gross.

Of course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is no fix. The feed lips don't control the cartridge enough to prevent the top round from popping out. It would require new feed lips to fix.

I don't understand the love for AUG mags here. They suck. I say this as someone who really likes my AUG.

View Quote
Meh......I wanted an AUG, not a bastardized NATO model
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had an X95 and a SAR, sold both of the pigs
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a few Magpul AUG mags that I typically use as my range mags, and I've never had a problem I can think of with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AUG mags work fine as long as you don't drop them or slap them in on an open bolt.

They are durable too.

Just aren't as good as an AR-15 mag which is a truly excellent design.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Just chiming in to say my A3 M1 has had no issues with the two AUG Pmags I own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Slapping a mag in on an open bolt is an unnecessary habit that AR users carry over to the AUG. It only happens on some 30 round Steyr mags and not on the 42s. The AUG pmag fixes this issue
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Slapping a mag in on an open bolt is an unnecessary habit that AR users carry over to the AUG. It only happens on some 30 round Steyr mags and not on the 42s. The AUG pmag fixes this issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My steyr 30s all puke rounds if the mag gets hit on the bottom and they are less than fully loaded.

Just like the Orlites used to back in the 90s. Good for range use only by my standard but the Israelis and the Austrians seemed to have gotten by ok.

I'll take a USGI aluminum mag over all of the above any day.

Sounds like the AUG pmags are the fix for those who have a hard on about not using the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Just checked the 14 AUG mags I have. Only two will do this, Steyr is send me a new follower and spring for both.
The two will pop rounds when partially loaded, however, Ive had to smack them rather briskly.

I really don't think this is much of an issue if one gets away from smacking the baseplate
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I think only one of my 30 rounders will puke out a round if I slap it in, but that has to be me actively trying to do so. All my other AUG mags don't do it with the same amount of force.

I also have to say that I don't have any AR related muscle memory or habits, so slapping a mag really isn't normal for me, and I have absolutely no issues with my mags when I'm just running my AUG.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

X95 is gross.

View Quote
Have a NATO stock AUG, gross or not the X95 exists....
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe this is a foolish question, but how can a magazine prevent an empty case from being ejected properly?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Maybe this is a foolish question, but how can a magazine prevent an empty case from being ejected properly?
View Quote
Slowing the bolt down during ejection (i.e. mag sitting too high causing the bolt to drag against the next round or the mag itself).
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Partial update: disassembled, cleaned, and lightly lubricated everything last night. Today I hit the range and got through two 30 round PMags with no issues,  went and shot pistol for a while, then came back and started having nonstop problems. Every kind of extraction failure you could imagine, and using Steyr 30s, 42s, PMags, AND even when single-loading rounds. I don't know wtf is going on. Probably a total of 15 separate incidents over 50 rounds fired; towards the end it was happening pretty much with every shot.

Need to resize pictures to post, hope to get to that tonight. Pretty frustrated right now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Would you be able to pull the bolt, disassemble the extractor and ejector and post pictures?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X95 is gross.

And you lose both the bolt release and any ambidextrous ability.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Pics from today:

Attachment Attached File

Steyr 30rd mag. Looks like a double feed but one of those is a spent casing.

Attachment Attached File

Steyr 42 rd mag. Stovepipe with lip damage.

Attachment Attached File

Steyr 42 again. The spent case seems to be getting wedged in between the next (live) cartridge and the top inside of the receiver. Sorry for the bad pic.

Attachment Attached File

I don't remember if this was a Steyr 30 or 42; photo taken after I dropped the mag and manually locked the bolt back. That's the case mouth mashed up against the bolt face. Friggin weird.

Up next:
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Steyr 42. FTE that looks weird.

Attachment Attached File

Steyr 42; again, weird.

Attachment Attached File

MagPul AUS, failed extraction plus 180 degree spin move.

Attachment Attached File

Hand loading/single shot

Attachment Attached File

All of the brass carnage I picked up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Would you be able to pull the bolt, disassemble the extractor and ejector and post pictures?
View Quote
@maleante

I'm not feeling the motivation or fine motor skills required to disassemble reassemble the whole bolt assembly tonight (when I got home I may have had a glass or two of Kentucky's finest) but after a quick look I don't see any *visible* damage or issues. Tension on the extractor seems fine but I'm no expert:

Attachment Attached File

At this point I've owned the gun a bit less than four months, it's seen something like 1350 rounds (I'll update my autism-level spreadsheet whenever I get the motivation to download the mags I used and count them), and all ammunition has been Winchester M193.

I will say that it's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong, and these issues are no fault of the firearm itself. That said, until I figure out which element of the human/firearm system is failing, I won't be relying on this thing for anything other than looking cool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks like possible short stroking. Did you try the gas on the severe setting? I would also try another brand of full power 5.56 just to remove that as a variable
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That looks like possible short stroking. Did you try the gas on the severe setting? I would also try another brand of full power 5.56 just to remove that as a variable
View Quote
That or he is having ejection issues.  Either the ejector spring is short/weak OR the extractor is losing the round during cycling.  Those rounds should be POPPING out of that gun.

What ammo again, op?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Is your forearm pressing against the side of the magazine while shooting? I ask this because last weekend I had 1 failure to eject with the next round hanging up. I was experimenting with how I hold the rifle and knew I was pressing against the magazine more than normal on that particular shot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Win M193 per OP.

I thought mil ammo was strong, full 556 power.

OP, have you done the bolt lock back for a couple weeks?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Garbage under the extractor?
Broken or chipped extractor?
Ejector seizing?

AJ
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Send it in to Steyr and they will fix it
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Win M193 per OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Win M193 per OP.

Yes, all (or pretty much all) Winchester M193. Few rounds of Wolf Gold may have slipped in there but that was a while back. No, I haven't done the bolt lock back thing; would it make any sense to try now? It ought to be "broken in" after over 1k rounds I'd think.

Quoted:
Garbage under the extractor?
Broken or chipped extractor?
Ejector seizing?

AJ
Nothing like that as far as I can see.

Quoted:
Was hoping to avoid that but I may just go ahead and do so. Wanted to have it in a couple weeks for a camping trip but it's no good to me there if it isn't running.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#44]
There are impact marks in front of the ejection port. It looks like the marks the casings usually leave rear of the ejection port.
Any ideas what is going on here?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are impact marks in front of the ejection port. It looks like the marks the casings usually leave rear of the ejection port.
View Quote
You know, it kind of does look like that. Close up:
Attachment Attached File

Vs behind ejection port:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The empty cases are just floating around in the action and sometimes the carrier or bolt face is just is kicking them out and ejecting them forward.

For some reason, during the ejection cycle, this gun is losing it's control of the empty case.  The case is then in "free fall" sometimes ejecting, sometimes not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Right now seems like a good time to have a spare parts kit to fix your problems before your camping trip. I'm betting steyr will fix your problem free or at low cost if any.

If the time frame doesn't work out with sending your gun into steyr, you could buy the small parts from Pete and have them before the weekend...

I'm still betting on the ejector and or extractor. Pulled out the manual tonight and took some pictures for you OP.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am with mad_mardigan and Jonathan....

this is either a real easy fix...or it is very, very subtle.....

Steyr, by all accounts, will get you squared away.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, just got off the phone with the Steyr folks. They suggested verifying the alignment of the gas rings in the piston; if that doesn't work, they're happy to take a look at it. I have full confidence that they'll handle anything if I can't fix it with my clumsy rat claws.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll keep you posted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top