Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2019 7:17:42 PM EDT
I just picked up this KS7 from my ffl. I found a seller with 5 on GB with a Buy It Now price of $499, plus $30 shipping. It feels very well made. It’s real light and the action is smooth. I cycled some A-Zoom snap caps through a bunch of times and it seems to work fine. I hope to get to break it in this weekend, along with a Tac-13, but I may not be able to until the following weekend. So far, it feels great and I see no issues. I thought I might not like the carry handle, but I do.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Looking forward to your review.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome. Looking forward to your review.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it thrraded for chokes? I really want to pht a salvo on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it thrraded for chokes? I really want to pht a salvo on it.
View Quote
If it's like the KSG it's not, but you can get an adapter for the muzzle that will let it take choke tubes and the Salvo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Take that carry handle off and put on a picatinny rail with a micro red dot optic!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take that carry handle off and put on a picatinny rail with a micro red dot optic!
View Quote
I'll be honest: I like the carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
You will then need something to cover the back of the barrel to prevent putting your cheek directly on the barrel. The KSG heat shield supposedly works. Im hoping Keltec comes out with a longer pic rail.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks cool as is.

Curious about the recoil.  The other double tube KSG kicks like a mad mule.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm excited to see how the KS7 performs.

I really like the carry handle / integral sighting plane design. Never warmed up to optics or irons for shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It looks cool as is.

View Quote
If the heavier KSG kicks like a mad mule the lighter KS7 should be worse.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Got one as well from my LGS, the one and only that they received. Can’t wait to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks cool as is.

K so I'm prob a  pussy but fwiw ...I  shot one the other day with Walmart target load Winchester, had to put that mother down ... Kick is an understatement  sweet gun but too much kick for me, friend of mine who bought it also couldn't get mini shells to run through it either( kept trying to double chamber ) don't know what would be different on that part from a regular ksg, mine runs mini shells fine , but again it feels and  looks great (OD green and all) till you fire it ... I thought he had 3" magnum shells in it  damn.. also friend says he's parting ways with it this weekend
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Initial Impressions
It’s light and will probably kick hard. It’s also typical Kel-tec in that it feels cheaply made. Will see how long it holds up. Fortunately got it from Davidson’s with a warranty to supplement the Kel Tec warranty.

Chamber and bore were rough with some black parkerization in the chamber. I got it out with a flex hone.

Added a spare Vang  comp stainless mag follower and Benelli mag spring retainer to prevent the mag spring from popping out whenever I remove the barrel. Also a swivel stud for a sling was added to the mag cap.

Also added the pic rail, KSG heat shield, ext butt pad and made a crude kydex receiver cover. I may add a rubber pad over the kydex later.

Will try it to shoot it in a few wks. Not sure if I like it better than my Shockwave SBS yet.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I am getting double feeds with snap caps and live ammo. Looks like the  chisel shaped cartridge release is a hair too short and allows two rounds through. This is going back to Keltec. Very disappointing but not unexpected in this first generation release.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Got to handle one a few days ago at LGS (479.00)

Few thoughts handling it

Pro's

1. Points well. -
2. light
3. Carry handle sight is pretty decent - Still would want to drop a RDS on a pic rail but the carry handle was much better than I expected
4. Cycles easy - just as easy as an 870 or 500
5. trigger was light enough

Con's

1. Damn loud - probably the loudest cycling shotgun I have ever handled - I am talking annoyingly loud.  I racked the action and everyone in the damn store looked at me.  - (Joe Biden approved loud shotgun )
2. Buttpad seems super thin and made out of substandard material - needs a limbsaver style pad - I bet it kicks like a mule
3. no chokes - obvious but would be nice if it came with some
4. barrel length - I would have liked to see a 20"-22" barrel.  The extra ~2" + choke would be nice (totally subjective and opinion).

Overall I was impressed.  Still felt like a cheap gun but the features make it highly tempting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Initial Impressions
It’s light and will probably kick hard. It’s also typical Kel-tec in that it feels cheaply made. Will see how long it holds up. Fortunately got it from Davidson’s with a warranty to supplement the Kel Tec warranty.

Chamber and bore were rough with some black parkerization in the chamber. I got it out with a flex hone.

Added a spare Vang  comp stainless mag follower and Benelli mag spring retainer to prevent the mag spring from popping out whenever I remove the barrel. Also a swivel stud for a sling was added to the mag cap.

Also added the pic rail, KSG heat shield, ext butt pad and made a crude kydex receiver cover. I may add a rubber pad over the kydex later.

Will try it to shoot it in a few wks. Not sure if I like it better than my Shockwave SBS yet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52218/B3705F1C-BB61-4F08-BA7A-A91DCFEBAC3F_jpeg-896635.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52218/2E801254-C591-440D-83BD-0B62D0750F06_jpeg-896637.JPG
View Quote
I'm noticing a theme with Kel Tec's recent offerings;
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Prices are coming down to about what I had hoped.  I got one at the local shop a couple days ago for the asking price of $409.   What the heck.  Even a KelTec is worth a try at $409.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Initial Impressions
It's light and will probably kick hard. It's also typical Kel-tec in that it feels cheaply made. Will see how long it holds up. Fortunately got it from Davidson's with a warranty to supplement the Kel Tec warranty.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52218/B3705F1C-BB61-4F08-BA7A-A91DCFEBAC3F_jpeg-896635.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52218/2E801254-C591-440D-83BD-0B62D0750F06_jpeg-896637.JPG
View Quote
Where did you get the top rail?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
 From Kel-Tec; uses same rail as the KSG.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you have to get screws or did the ones from the handle work?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You use the original screws. The rail does not include mounting screws.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one of those, a choke adapter, and the 6 lug wrench to take the barrel nut off in a cart but wasn't sure if there was something else I needed.  Then I decided the KS7 hasn't even been delivered yet.  I'm going to wait before I start trying to change it.    I still want the choke tubes though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Picked up mine tonight at the gun show. $425
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://i.imgtc.ws/o15TKXG.jpg
Picked up mine tonight at the gun show. $425
View Quote
Anyone got a picture looking down the rail w/ the sights?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
So I hit up the indoor range one night this week and ran 90 slugs through the shotty. My shoulder is in pain for sure lol

I shot 10 mini shell slugs (Federal brand) with no issues

I shot 5 federal 2 3/4" slugs and 75 challenger low recoil 2 3/4" slugs (the ones you can buy by the can).

Recoil wasn't too bad once I started using the push-pull method of shooting, but if I could get my hands on one of those KSG extended recoil pads I'd be pretty happy. I would not even think about shooting a 3" slug out of this thing.

I was having a few failure to extracts, and twice I had some rounds shoot out of the tube as I was racking it. All of the malfunctions appear to be going away the more I shoot it. If I put a couple hundred bird shot through it at some point I wouldnt be surprised if it breaks in and it works reliably. I suspect the failure to extract is the same issue the KSGs had where the chamber was rough, and need to either be broken in or polished. I'll probably polish mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The sights are probably some of the worst for slug shooting. I was shooting at 50yds and could not figure out for the life of me where my POI was relative to my POA. I suspect its because there is no rear sight to line up with the front sight, so it makes you shoot +/- 2 feet lol. I was trying quite hard, and most of the slugs missed the target entirely. I actually shot the string holding up the targets twice by accident which was rather embarrassing.

I am going to have to add a rail and some aftermarket sights on this thing. Something I was not planning to do. It is sufficient for wilderness defense, but I like to be able to shoot a ragged hole at 50 or 100m so Ill probably add some BUIS on a rail once they are available. One thing that annoys me about this shotgun is that unlike the KSG there is no sling loop at the front of it so I have to buy some silly M-Lok attachment to put one on...

Overall I am very impressed with this shotgun. It has some minor issues that I suspect are break in issues based on what I am seeing, and the sight in the carry handle is meh at best, but if you are only shooting this thing inside 20 yards theres nothing to worry about. I just like to push my firearms and my skills to their limits.

I would say if you are interested in one, and patient enough for a <250rd break in, get it. Its a sweet little shotgun!

Something I would like to add as well is that if I push and slightly torque the handle to one side, the whole barrel assembly appears to twist independant of the rear steel cheek plate. Does anyone else's do this? Just want to make sure its a normal thing.

C'mon! Do you apes wanna live forever!
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Slowly working the bugs out of mine. Had to send back to Kel-Tec as the Left cartridge release would release 2-3 shells at a time. I also sl shortened the R sided cartridge release to work more reliably with mini shells and make it easier to load. Also added a Mcarbo trigger and a modified Mcarbo Sherman tank brake. Replacing the trigger took hours as it’s quite a challenge to get all the parts back together once apart.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I've now run my snap caps through the shotty at least a couple hundred times, probably a few hundred, and the mag tube issue where it would not let one out after I racked it now appears to be gone. Will have to hit the range and destroy my shoulder again to confirm. Still loving this thing. Its the dream self defense firearm, particularly for wilderness defense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone who thinks the KSG or KS7 feels light and shoddy, they should handle and fire the UTAS UTS-15.

The Keltecs will feel quite solid after that.
View Quote
I remember poking one literally poking the side of a UTAS that was at the bull pup shoot in Kentucky 2014 maybe? Anyways the ventilated plastic on the side bent in with one finger pressure. Sure it went straight back afterwards once pressure was released but holy crap my nerf guns as a kid felt more solid. Any and all interest in that thing or desire to shoot it vanished after that poke.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
OST. I'm interested in the KS7 but have no interest in dropping $400+ on a future paperweight.
How much does the extended buttpad help w/perceived recoil and does it make LOP too long? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Slowly working the bugs out of mine. Had to send back to Kel-Tec as the Left cartridge release would release 2-3 shells at a time. I also sl shortened the R sided cartridge release to work more reliably with mini shells and make it easier to load. Also added a Mcarbo trigger and a modified Mcarbo Sherman tank brake. Replacing the trigger took hours as it’s quite a challenge to get all the parts back together once apart.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52218/A0043CC6-E337-417F-A3DB-3C219921B018_jpeg-1074530.JPG
View Quote
What's your opinion of the mcarbo sherman tank muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
So has anyone not had problems with their KS7? I handled one at a gun shop and was ready to buy, but after doing some reading... Not good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Picked one up..looking forward to trying it out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top