Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2019 10:44:43 PM EDT
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/04/idex-2019-steyr-aug-300-blk-and-stm556-from-austria/

Look at the stock on that thing.  It appears to be a NATO pattern, but with a bolt release.  Does this mean it will be available for the 5.56 models (or hopefully as a standalone part)?  I"m hoping this is the case, since why would you have a totally separate 300BLK gun, when all you need is a barrel swap?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
great
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/04/idex-2019-steyr-aug-300-blk-and-stm556-from-austria/

Look at the stock on that thing.  It appears to be a NATO pattern, but with a bolt release.  Does this mean it will be available for the 5.56 models (or hopefully as a standalone part)?  I"m hoping this is the case, since why would you have a totally separate 300BLK gun, when all you need is a barrel swap?
View Quote
I believe they are just demoing multiple things with one gun, as booth space is limited:

1. The new .300 BLK AUG barrel
2. Steyr's new and improved factory rail system
3. The new and improved NATO stock, which now features a bolt release
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I figured, but the giant 300BLK on the stock threw me off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
3 years ago there was this. For anything besides 9mm and 5.56 AUG's I'll believe it when I see it.

And about a decade ago there was a .22lr kit too.

Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3 years ago there was this. For anything besides 9mm and 5.56 AUG's I'll believe it when I see it.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/LfQYXKi_zpsanc2yxvy.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy331/2020precision/IMG_1458.jpg
View Quote
Man if that 7.62x39 AUG gave birth to a 6.5 Grendel AUG, we'd really be in business.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I just want the damn bolt release.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The new rail is interesting but I like the small rail where it is now. 300 BO set up would be awesome! Still jaded over lack of chrome lining in the US guns. The upgraded nato stock is a big bonus.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Still jaded over lack of chrome lining in the US guns.
View Quote
I think you're thinking of the HK416 US Civilian version.

AUG barrels are CHF and chrome lined by FN in the US.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not anymore, US barrels are now made by Steyr and they are now Nitrided rather than chrome lined.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not anymore, US barrels are now made by Steyr and they are now Nitrided rather than chrome lined.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, that is a new development then. As of even a few months ago they were chrome lined.

I'm kinda torn - chrome lining is a bit more durable, but nitride is reportedly more consistent accuracy wise, and also provides a much nicer exterior barrel coating vs the maganese phosphate used for chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both, there is no discernible accuracy difference between the two.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems nato stocks with bolt release (and .300) are fielded with austrian police:
https://www.spartanat.com/2019/03/enforce-tac-2019-das-neue-sturmgewehr-der-cobra/
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
They seem to be using the older A3 receivers then then current M1s they are making here in the States.

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They seem to be using the older A3 receivers then then current M1s they are making here in the States.

View Quote
So, Pete.  When will you have these in stock?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/LfQYXKi_zpsanc2yxvy.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy331/2020precision/IMG_1458.jpg
View Quote
Didn’t the .22lr also use anshultz magazines to make its price even more absurd as well?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't recall on the mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, this is a huge gas regulator/block.

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m worried they won’t be interchangeable with regular receivers
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like it’s got a groove so you could use the rim of a cartridge to adjust it if it’s hot. That’s nice and a new feature right?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.spartanat.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Steyr-AUG-300-4.jpg
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it will work on any Steyr AUG receiver.

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like it’s got a groove so you could use the rim of a cartridge to adjust it if it’s hot. That’s nice and a new feature right?
View Quote
For a cartridge (assuming that's what it's for), then it's sort of a new feature. The gas regulators today fit the buttstock sling pin for adjustment when too hot to handle.

Nope. Looks like it's always worked with a case.

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I could definitely get down with a 300BLK AUG.
I would definitely be interested in a 22 cal conversion kit too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish that AUG USA / aka Styer USA was better at marketing. Their pistols are top notch and the AUG could be very viable for police use.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It seems nato stocks with bolt release (and .300) are fielded with austrian police:
https://www.spartanat.com/2019/03/enforce-tac-2019-das-neue-sturmgewehr-der-cobra/
View Quote
What is the scope on this AUG?  I have a heavy 3.5x ACOG on mine, maybe it’s time to upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
hhhhh
Quoted:

What is the scope on this AUG?  I have a heavy 3.5x ACOG on mine, maybe it’s time to upgrade.
View Quote
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.spartanat.com/2018/05/review-makstorm-4x30-i-hd-combat-sight/&prev=search
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No one is going to comment on how that larger gas block doesnt appear to have a gas vent hole on it?

Methinks the Austrian engineers have been fiddling with that in more than just size
View Quote
Thats interesting. Do you think thats to enhance its suppressability by reducing the 'piston pop' of the previous gas vent?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#29]
A 300 blk AUG / barrel assembly? Who do I need to throw my wallet at to make this happen?

Edit - I mean, jeeze. A 16" barreled 300blk AUG, so it's already got a super clean burn with subsonics due to the long barrel though I'm not sure if it'll still be subsonic when it exits...it's still shorter than an 11.5" AR with the stock collapsed, which means it'll be maybe just a couple ticks bigger than say an MP5SD with a full length stock, with a can on the AUG. Depending on the length of the can.

...so why would anyone want a honey badger if they make this a reality?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any more pictures where this came from?

Like the A3 style rail with barrel stop & sling QD socket.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Any more pictures where this came from?

Like the A3 style rail with barrel stop & sling QD socket.
View Quote
The rail is from Corvus Defensio. https://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/corvus-defensio-a3-receiver-rail-moi-30-slots/
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Forget the 300 BLK, that STM556 looks cool!
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder why they haven't added a case deflector to any stock revision.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#34]
They won't win any large contracts with that gun...most .gov agencies now want ambi features...can't shot it left handed....fail....I know its the Nato stock so it cant...but still...Steyr should just buy Thales design...
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A 300 blk AUG / barrel assembly? Who do I need to throw my wallet at to make this happen?

Edit - I mean, jeeze. A 16" barreled 300blk AUG, so it's already got a super clean burn with subsonics due to the long barrel though I'm not sure if it'll still be subsonic when it exits...it's still shorter than an 11.5" AR with the stock collapsed, which means it'll be maybe just a couple ticks bigger than say an MP5SD with a full length stock, with a can on the AUG. Depending on the length of the can.

...so why would anyone want a honey badger if they make this a reality?
View Quote
Could probably cut the barrel down to ~14 inches and pin and weld your suppressor mount (depending on your can).
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Any news on that new NATO stock?

Here is a little bit more detail in pictures and text, but it's not new news and not US specific.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Steyr has a pretty shitty track record of bringing things they show off to market so who knows if it ever will.

Examples: 22lr conversion, 7.62/39 aug, CQB version that really only came about because of Pete after being shown in pictures and booths for years drawing interest, that AR looking rifle that uses the AUG gas system, and probably more I’m not even aware of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#38]
.300 BLK augs in action
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Steyr has a pretty shitty track record of bringing things they show off to market so who knows if it ever will.

Examples: 22lr conversion, 7.62/39 aug, CQB version that really only came about because of Pete after being shown in pictures and booths for years drawing interest, that AR looking rifle that uses the AUG gas system, and probably more I’m not even aware of.
View Quote
The lack of a 300BLK option on the AUG is one of the reasons I'm going with the X95.  Steyr has been talking about other calibers for the AUG for years, and nothing has come of it.

The 5.56-to-300BLK is the easiest, cheapest caliber conversion ever, esp on the AUG which already has an adjustable regulator as standard.  The fact that Steyr hasn't already done this years ago speaks very poorly of their commitment to the platform.  Maybe they are just milking the AUG dry now that its replacement (F90) is in production, and will just ride the AUG into the ground before killing it outright.  For that reason, I'm not convinced a 300BLK AUG will ever happen, at least for the US civilian.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The lack of a 300BLK option on the AUG is one of the reasons I'm going with the X95.  Steyr has been talking about other calibers for the AUG for years, and nothing has come of it.

The 5.56-to-300BLK is the easiest, cheapest caliber conversion ever, esp on the AUG which already has an adjustable regulator as standard.  The fact that Steyr hasn't already done this years ago speaks very poorly of their commitment to the platform.  Maybe they are just milking the AUG dry now that its replacement (F90) is in production, and will just ride the AUG into the ground before killing it outright.  For that reason, I'm not convinced a 300BLK AUG will ever happen, at least for the US civilian.
View Quote
The F90 is really only a Australian military thing ( I suppose someone else will adopt it too, somewhere). And that's a Lithgow thing, not Steyr.

Steyr is slow and I do wish we saw more things for the AUG. And more evolution, like the F90. But Steyr gets plenty of contracts, police and military with the AUG still.

I do hope we see the .300 Blkout barrels/AUGs here. Perhaps the lack of sales on other barrels is making Steyr be slow. Everyone whined for 24in., 20 in, 1/7 barrels. And when they did come out. They took FOREVER to sell a couple hundred barrels.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Everyone whined for 24in., 20 in, 1/7 barrels. And when they did come out. They took FOREVER to sell a couple hundred barrels.
View Quote
Exactly. And now I have people offering me crazy amounts of money to sell things that sat on the market for, in some cases, years and were heavily discounted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly. And now I have people offering me crazy amounts of money to sell things that sat on the market for, in some cases, years and were heavily discounted.
View Quote
My crime waa not buying an AUG earlier.

seriously though, someone with access to mill, lathe, and welder should experiment with 300BLK.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, I see that sometimes too.

I did my part. Love my 24in barrels. I do wish I bought a 1/7 or two barrels when I had the chance. :)
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Dammit.  Every time this thread gets bumped, I see it on my subscriptions and think IT'S FINALLY RELEASED.

Then I open it, and IT'S NOT RELEASED.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top