Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2019 5:26:49 AM EDT
I've been offered a STG-556, 20" OD Green. Serial in the 9700 range, which I think is later gen 4. Has 50 rounds downrange and is otherwise new, offered by the original owner. I know the reliability can be sketchy but the Gen 4 or E4 seems to be the best.

My questions are basically;
1- Should I bother? I have seen many have success with Gen 4's
2- Do Magpul Pmags for the AUG or factory Steyr AUG mags fit the Gen 4?
3- What AUG accessories will work? Charging handle, aftermarket fore-grips or rails?
4- What does Ratworx do or offer for the gun, their website doesn't say, and most of the info I see is from years ago so I am curious what they STILL do.
5- I don't see any barrels available so does anyone know of any I'll effects of cutting and re-threading a 20" to a 16"?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Many here will say stay away as there is no factory or aftermarket support.
I bought one when they were still in business, was actually on the wait list, and it has worked for me for about 5krnds so far.
I have 2 spare parts kits I got directly from microtech, the steel mag catch done by ratworx and it's a ar mag model.
If you really want it, go for it, but it's slim pickings with parts and support.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
1: Unless it’s offered real cheap and you really want it I’d pass. I had one that I liked and it ran well but once they went to shit I sold it while the selling was good given the STG-556s proprietary mags that some people had success with using AUG mags I didn’t want to have to play around with something as basic as magazine procurement.

2: mag compatibility maybe on a per mag basis

3: rails are definitely not interchangeable with AUG ones different attachments.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1: Unless it’s offered real cheap and you really want it I’d pass. I had one that I liked and it ran well but once they went to shit I sold it while the selling was good given the STG-556s proprietary mags that some people had success with using AUG mags I didn’t want to have to play around with something as basic as magazine procurement.

2: mag compatibility maybe on a per mag basis

3: rails are definitely not interchangeable with AUG ones different attachments.
View Quote
As a former Gen4 owner, I'd say the same.

I sold mine years ago when it became apparent the company was folding up (gen after gen after gen in a short period of time).

I took a loss, but it beats being stuck with a paperweight when it breaks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
As said above: if it's cheap enough then get it.

I have and STG rifle with forward assist and square bolt fix and an AR type stock as well. I took both to the range a couple of weeks ago and put a couple of mags through each and all was good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If CZ was no longer in business and if it was dang near impossible to get replacement parts for CZ's, then I would probably avoid purchasing a CZ.

Maybe the CZ works perfectly, maybe it doesn't. One thing though, the CZ slide stops are known to break. Am I willing to take the chance that a slide stop may break, thus leaving me with an expensive paperweight?

Maybe I should buy the EAA instead to avoid unforeseen potentialities.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Pass.  Do your homework. Lots of issues that only got worse as things progressed.  All kinds of questionable manufacturing & assembly techniques.  My serial # was 81XX range.  My bolt & bolt sleeve started chewing into the receiver & that was after my factory scope shit the bed (a scope that could no longer be repaired or replaced — they were still in buisness at this time when they told me that.). Yours is later when they were just randomly throwing them together to dump them to distributors.

Buy a real Steyr Aug.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
No, save money and buy the real deal. It cost me a lot learning this lesson by buying a defective one and having to sell it at heavy loss
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I just clicked this thread to see if anyone said “yes”, thankfully most are sensibility saying “no”.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you guy for your insight and for not calling me an idiot. I was googling as much as I could but info was spotty and contradictory at best. I think I am going to pass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been enjoying my 20” Gen4 STG-556 with spares.

It’s not a Steyr but if you can get one for a good price...get it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a sub-100 serial number OD STG556. It has given me zero problems and has been an absolute champ. I don't shoot it much because I know that if something breaks I may not get the gun back up and running. Unless you are willing to take that risk and score a killer deal on one, I'd suggest getting yourself a real AUG. And if you need something really different the Kel-Tecs looks interesting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If it was $400 I would buy it. Otherwise, no way. A3 and A3M1 Steyr AUGs are reasonably priced. In fact there’s a NATO stocked m1 on GB right now for $1500.

MSAR has a very spotty history. Not worth the headache when Steyr is available.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I rolled the dice on the MSAR STG 556 and lost years ago. I should've just saved up a bit more and got the AUG.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You’re a brave man to be buying an MSAR in 2019. It was a poor enough decision back when they existed. Especially given that we have the real deal readily available now. There’s never been a better time to be looking for an AUG.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned three MSAR bullpups over the years. Never had a problem with any

of them. Traded one off, gave one to my brother in law and kept one for myself. I also

purchased an Aug a couple of years ago. The only thing that worries me about the

MSAR, would be a major failure. I would not hesitate to grab it in an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#16]
My Gen 4 STG-556 runs just fine...it is not a Steyr...100% but it fills my need for an AUG type weapon...for me...an AUG type weapon is classified as a "fun gun" even if it was a Steyr...for me...my go-to platforms are Tavors, SCARs or AR-based weapon.

Now there were two "issues" I addressed with mine...which...even Steyrs can exhibit overtime. It was that tolerances loosen up...my barrel had slight left-right movement (no movement forward and back)...solved it by removing the front QD sling mount and used a set screw to take out any barrel movement like the 20/20 Precision Loose Barrel Fix...set screw costs me $.50

The stock and receiver had again slight left-right movement (think of a mil-spec AR15 receiver fitment slop)...the receiver and the stock locks up extremely tight so no forward and back movement...but it was annoying....I like my weapons "tight-ish"...therefore I used some plastibond to bed the stock....worked great.

Now I know some will say...but thehun06...you just lost the barrel's QD capability by using the barrel set screw...sure...yeah...but really...do you carry a spare barrel on your chest rig/bug out kit....doubt it...with the STG556/AUG having ample room in the stock for spare parts...I carry the appropriate allen wrench for the set screw, spare bolt, spare bolt sleeve, spare cocking piece and will be sourcing a spare firing pin (which AUG firing pins do work...new Steyr pins do need a slight emory cloth passing as they are a little thicker than before).

My factory STG-556 trigger is suberb...muuuuuuuuch better than a factory Tavor. What I enjoy the most is the 20" 1/8 barrel...with it...it is still shorter than a typical 16" AR.

I invested in a ratworx hybrid bolt and bolt sleeve and that is whats install in my STG-556...the OEM bolt and sleeve is my back up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Another option, You should be able to get a Tavor for around $1100-1300 if shop carefully (in EE).  The spare parts are currently available as well and will interchange with 95.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another option, You should be able to get a Tavor for around $1100-1300 if shop carefully (in EE).  The spare parts are currently available as well and will interchange with 95.
View Quote
I second that idea. Tavor is awesome. I prefer the SAR but either would do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Snip.

Now there were two "issues" I addressed with mine...which...even Steyrs can exhibit overtime. It was that tolerances loosen up...my barrel had slight left-right movement (no movement forward and back)...solved it by removing the front QD sling mount and used a set screw to take out any barrel movement like the 20/20 Precision Loose Barrel Fix...set screw costs me $.50

The stock and receiver had again slight left-right movement (think of a mil-spec AR15 receiver fitment slop)...the receiver and the stock locks up extremely tight so no forward and back movement...but it was annoying....I like my weapons "tight-ish"...therefore I used some plastibond to bed the stock....worked great.

Snip.
View Quote
No. Those two things you describe don't occur on a genuine Steyr AUG. I've never seen it and I've never heard of it happening on a Steyr product as a function of tolerances loosening over time.

I know of some brand new guns where the barrel pin lockup has slight play - which steyr will fix, but the stock thing is bunk on a steyr.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No. Those two things you describe don't occur on a genuine Steyr AUG. I've never seen it and I've never heard of it happening on a Steyr product as a function of tolerances loosening over time.

I know of some brand new guns where the barrel pin lockup has slight play - which steyr will fix, but the stock thing is bunk on a steyr.
View Quote
Just because you haven’t heard about it, doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. I was at a LGS several years back and they had an older AUG with receiver to stock play...kept me from buying it and went with a DD rifle instead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just because you haven’t heard about it, doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. I was at a LGS several years back and they had an older AUG with receiver to stock play...kept me from buying it and went with a DD rifle instead.
View Quote
Sample size 1.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought my MSAR right before they went under and got it cheap (under $900 with 10 mags). Unless you can get it cheaper than that, get a Steyr.  You can get parts as needed with a real AUG  and it doesn't have a hit or miss reputation. Therefore you can get most of your money out of it if you sell it.

I actually made money on my MSAR, but only because I traded it towards a motorcycle. My MSAR was problem free, but I still worried about replacement parts. So it mainly Sat in the safe. Where as my Suzuki DR650gets ridden regularly, although I am about to trade it for something new.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sample size 1.
View Quote
Maybe. Maybe not my friend. Just because you haven’t heard or read about it. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened to others.

Steyr’s quality is waaay better than MSAR ever had...Just saying I’ve seen a sloppy AUG before.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]
For the record Magpul Aug mags will work ,b it you need to shave the locking tab just a bit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Save up more and get a true AUG. I’ve had an A3 from when they first reentered the US market and it’s my favorite rifle. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got my AUG M1 with 3 mags for $1375 on the EE. Looks infired.

Buy the real deal.

Link Posted: 4/11/2019 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not my friend. Just because you haven’t heard or read about it. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened to others.

Steyr’s quality is waaay better than MSAR ever had...Just saying I’ve seen a sloppy AUG before.
View Quote
Please describe the sloppiness you've seen in a Steyr?  US or Austria?

Fwiw, I had a well used 903SAxxx gun that was running too fast. Semi Auto only rifle. Opened up a port then worked fine.  Overall this gun felt tight over all.

thx for the info.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I’d just get a Steyr and spare parts just in case . I got 2 !
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#29]
A MSAR with a 9700 serial number would be a pretty safe bet.  I would pick it up if the price was good.  They made lot more good rifles than some of the guys here would have you believe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
nope nope nope nope nope nope
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top