Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2019 3:41:59 PM EDT
I had an FDE SAR. It was sweet, but as a collector I wanted the SAR-IDF. I got one in a fair trade deal, and here she is. I then went full retard and bought the MX3 magnifier that fits the strange attachment method. Im happy. These guns are hard to come by.....

q0dXfBcoRoSKLtKu6OpnqA by Austin Scott, on Flickr

OnMOa3DBStqgRSe1LFbVYg by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of its siblings crappy magnifier and all. Just don’t have the little light module you have.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of its siblings crappy magnifier and all. Just don’t have the little light module you have.
View Quote
Yup. Its not about the quality, its about what it is. Lol. The Israelis love mediocre optics.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sexy rifle. Looking for one myself. I'm a lefty though, so that makes it a bit more of a search.
View Quote
Just get a righty and have iwi get you a lefty bolt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup. Its not about the quality, its about what it is. Lol. The Israelis love mediocre optics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah the m21 it magnifies is pretty mediocre too. I haven’t used any other Israeli optics though to see if that trend is across the board.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Yup. Its not about the quality, its about what it is. Lol. The Israelis love mediocre optics.
View Quote
I went all in a got a NIB IDF for the same reason... but I found out the hard way I couldn’t live with that optic, sold it and lost my shirt on it. Still can appreciate though, enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I greatly prefer the svelte lines of the IDF version myself.  I picked one up when they were first released through the bullpupforum group buy.  I understand the practical nature of rails, but it seems having all these rails makes all modern rifles look the same.  I prefer the classic look that showcases the unique lines of the Tavor.  The interesting thing about the Tavor is the body was designed first and then the operating system was mated to the chassis.  Now that the IDF version is discontinued, the value will continue to rise.  I would like to find a correct IDF sling to complete my setup.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's mine. Took me 8mths to convince IWI to convert it from a standard SAR to the IDF model, and I originally had a red laser MARS sight, then managed to source what is on the gun now.

Wouldn't mind getting the 3x magnifier at some point.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Some beautiful Tavors going here in this thread. So glad to see other folks interested in having these guns as originally designed in their proper, military form.

CFII--Congrats on getting a *real* Tavor. The pic rail version is overrated. The IDF version is way cooler. It looks better, balances better, and feels better. Plus, it allows you to stick it in the face of liberals worldwide because you have in your home a rifle that the Israeli military made and uses, and that Israel doesn't even allow its own free citizens to possess post-military service. We have the greatest freedoms and the greatest country in the world. The more modern military weapons We the People possess, the safer and freer our country will remain.

Geezah--I'm surprised you were able to source the parts needed from IWI to convert it to the IDF version. I've been trying to get them to sell the round handguards for the X95 and other IDF parts for these rifles for years to no avail. But kudos to you. I want to put a MARS optic on my IDF16 and chop down and pin the barrel like you have, but I'll be using the standard Tavor A2 with an extra washer to make up some distance. I want to keep it looking OEM overall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Kind of want
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Geezah--I'm surprised you were able to source the parts needed from IWI to convert it to the IDF version. I've been trying to get them to sell the round handguards for the X95 and other IDF parts for these rifles for years to no avail. But kudos to you. I want to put a MARS optic on my IDF16 and chop down and pin the barrel like you have, but I'll be using the standard Tavor A2 with an extra washer to make up some distance. I want to keep it looking OEM overall.
View Quote
It took 8mths of me being a hemorrhoid, and they would not sell me the parts. They would only consider it if they did the work.
I sent it in and I get an email from my contact telling me that they will not be able install the rear back up site, as it is hitting the red dot. I'm sitting at work, thinking what the hell are they doing. It then dawned on me, the gun smith was attempting to install the MARS site backwards. I made a call, offered up my advice. He puts me on hold, then comes back, apologizes, then said the smith is rather embarrassed.
I have buddies that have attempted to get the same work done and IWI keep on shooting them down. Itdoes concern me as I'm not sure that thwy have replacement parts anymore if something were to break.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's mine. Took me 8mths to convince IWI to convert it from a standard SAR to the IDF model, and I originally had a red laser MARS sight, then managed to source what is on the gun now.

https://i.imgur.com/5HL3JTK.jpg
View Quote
They don't do conversions anymore?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some beautiful Tavors going here in this thread. So glad to see other folks interested in having these guns as originally designed in their proper, military form.

CFII--Congrats on getting a *real* Tavor. The pic rail version is overrated. The IDF version is way cooler. It looks better, balances better, and feels better. Plus, it allows you to stick it in the face of liberals worldwide because you have in your home a rifle that the Israeli military made and uses, and that Israel doesn't even allow its own free citizens to possess post-military service. We have the greatest freedoms and the greatest country in the world. The more modern military weapons We the People possess, the safer and freer our country will remain.

View Quote
Thanks. I am much happier this way. I am a collector far more than I am a "shooter" anymore, I love the fact this rifle is really damn close to an issued IDF blaster. The magnifier was just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/5HL3JTK.jpg
They don’t keep lots of parts for the less popular stuff in stock. Plus they haven’t done the IDF sars for years at this point unless I’m mistaken. For example I got a 18” barrel with bayo lug for my x95. I called for a new hand guard with the bayo lug cut out. The gentleman who answered said he’d check but they usually didn’t keep much more than they needed of that part for production and it being an import part of it wasn’t it could be awhile but he’d check and call me back. Next day he called with the price and I ordered it. But given that stock method it doesn’t surprise me they aren’t into converting people’s rifles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks. I am much happier this way. I am a collector far more than I am a "shooter" anymore, I love the fact this rifle is really damn close to an issued IDF blaster. The magnifier was just icing on the cake.
View Quote
Definitely. It's my favorite rifle--always glad to see others who can appreciate it too. And indeed, the IDF version of the Tavor is highly collectible. Keep it in good condition, but by all means, shoot it and enjoy it. It's tough as nails--it was designed to be manhandled. And there's nothing wrong with the MX3. It does what it does just fine, and it's super easy to attach and detach. Much better than trying to flip the levers on a QD-mounted magnifier, and also better than having a flip to side version which just places the weight awkwardly off to the side. I keep my MX3 in a molle pouch on my range bag so I can toss it on there whenever I feel like it.

The only things mine is missing right now are the paracord sling loop and the MARS optic. The MARS sight has a pressure switch that fits right into that little hole in the Tavor's handguard (where there is currently a plastic button). The MARS sight was designed for the Tavor. The M21 is cool and looks great, but MARS is the way to go for the full IDF Tavor experience. The MX3 magnifier works with the MARS just like the M21, and you don't need a washout remover for the MARS.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They don’t keep lots of parts for the less popular stuff in stock. Plus they haven’t done the IDF sars for years at this point unless I’m mistaken. For example I got a 18” barrel with bayo lug for my x95. I called for a new hand guard with the bayo lug cut out. The gentleman who answered said he’d check but they usually didn’t keep much more than they needed of that part for production and it being an import part of it wasn’t it could be awhile but he’d check and call me back. Next day he called with the price and I ordered it. But given that stock method it doesn’t surprise me they aren’t into converting people’s rifles.
View Quote
Well that would all make sense. I damaged the gas block on my IDF SAR when I took the rifle apart for the first time (made the cardinal mistake of not removing the charging handle assembly before attempting to unlock the barrel), and it was difficult to get IWI to sell me a replacement. At first, they said they didn't have any in stock, so I asked about special ordering. It took some persistence and finally they decided to sell me one they actually did have in stock.

Makes you wonder... if IWI US ever goes under, we're really on our own with these rifles as far as parts are concerned. I'm just hoping that IWI US will grow and eventually keep more IDF parts in stock. I like that the IDF16 is collectible, but on the other hand, I wish the IDF parts were more easily available to people who want to convert without having to buy a whole new rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think as I was a constant pain, I must have got them one day when they were in a good mood, as they no longer appear interested or don't have the parts or possibly both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MX3 magnifier that fits the strange attachment method.
View Quote
May I ask where did you get it from and how much did you pay? My IDF Tavor NEEDS to know!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine from mako group. It’s a bit of a wait since I think they get shipped from Israel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

May I ask where did you get it from and how much did you pay? My IDF Tavor NEEDS to know!
View Quote
I got it on Amazon, and it shipped from Mckinzie's optics or something. It was like $350.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a IDF Tavor in the first batch in the USA thru the bullpup forums.

Still NIB.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got mine set up in the same configuration and love it. For years it was my HD gun. Frankly, I'm not too unhappy with the M21 + KX3 Magnifier - they're rugged and typical of the IDF. Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Went and shot it today. I have never shot a Tavor before today. I liked the handling, size, and feel. Nice minimal recoil. Trigger was pretty good.

The Bad? The M21 optics suck and the magnifier just amplifies the problem. The eye relief is so short I hit my glasses on recoil every shot.

I liked it
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Currently, I have a Midwest Industries replacement handguard with a light on my Tavor, but has anyone tried this?

https://youtu.be/Nm2PD8Hhknc
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Only sbr SAR was for LEO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top