Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2019 3:01:43 PM EDT
Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it actually ever an issue? Or did people have unrealistic expectations?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Being it is smaller than my 10.5" SBR with the stock in a (short) shooting position, I compare the accuracy of the X95 to the 10.5", although the 16" x95 has the benefit of additional velocity which is critical to M193.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It was definitely an issue with my two.  Mine would shoot around 4+ moa.  Loved everything else about it but just couldn’t justify that kind of accuracy especially with my AUG shooting 1.5 moa. Now that Steyr is going to nitrated bbls I figured it’s time to check in again with IWI. I was hoping they fixed the random flyer issues.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
They explained their delay of the Tavor 7 as needing more precision than their 'Israeli' standard.

I think they're happy with the X95 accuracy from their standpoint.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I was hoping they fixed the random flyer issues.
View Quote
I’ve heard this many times before, but can’t comprehend how it’s even possible or what would cause it. Can someone explain it to me to point to a link with info?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone considered the possibility of bullet deformation from cycling as a factot?

I posted about this a while back, but I was using some soft points in my x95 and noticed that it REALLY messed up the tip of the bullet when it cycled.

When I am able (I broke my arm last Saturday) I may do a side by side accuracy test firing normally and then single loading each round.
I am VERY curious to see if this makes a difference.
ETA here is a picture of the bullet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch.

I still believe that the SAR variant is the best Tavor made...
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anyone considered the possibility of bullet deformation from cycling as a factot?

I posted about this a while back, but I was using some soft points in my x95 and noticed that it REALLY messed up the tip of the bullet when it cycled.

When I am able (I broke my arm last Saturday) I may do a side by side accuracy test firing normally and then single loading each round.
I am VERY curious to see if this makes a difference.
ETA here is a picture of the bullet.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77588/20190131_204455_jpg-855344.JPG
View Quote
I'm interested to see what you find out.  I was surprised to see that the barrel extension on the x95 has a little "fang" right at 6:00 where the round is coming up and over into the chamber.  It sort of looks like they had to put lugs wherever they could fit them to allow a single barrel to support left or right ejection.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My Savage MSR Recon shot excellent groups when compared to my other 5.56 rifles. It would be interesting to see if accuracy could be improved by adopting the MSRs profile: 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber, melonite barrel and 5R rifling..
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Any news?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing scientific and no pics to prove it but I took out a new x95 this past weekend to sight in with an Aimpoint T2.  It's easily a 3 moa rifle so no complaints from me.  Could probably do better with some magnification.  The trigger is great which I think didn't hurt the accuracy any.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
With match ammo and a fine magnified optic, I wouldn't be surprised if you cut that in half. Just based on common experience with other guns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Like the way my X95 shoots
Flaws are accuracy of 3MOA w ball ammo that my AR shoots under 1.5 moa
No forward assist
No bolt release

AUG doesn’t have any of these issues
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With match ammo and a fine magnified optic, I wouldn't be surprised if you cut that in half. Just based on common experience with other guns.
View Quote
No matter what ammo u use it’s in accurate
Match ammo in my at will get u sub MOA or MOA at most
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No forward assist
No bolt release

View Quote
The new charging handle does act as a forward assist.  There is a bolt release, more conveniently located than that on the AUG.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Replaced my x95 with an AUG......issue fixed
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No forward assist
No bolt release

View Quote
Already have an AUG, but wouldn’t buy another because they quit selling them with CLB.  If it wasn’t for the accuracy issues with the X95 I would pick up another was hoping it was just issue with the early guns like the one I have.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No forward assist
No bolt release

View Quote
The x95 has a bolt release.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No forward assist
No bolt release

And a better trigger, and better mag release, and better mounting options.

Granted the new AUG NATO does have a bolt release, but at this point the only thing the AUG has on the X95 is quick change barrels and accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Granted the new AUG NATO does have a bolt release, but at this point the only thing the AUG has on the X95 is quick change barrels and accuracy.
View Quote
Only accuracy, eh?  

Forrest
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Love mine. It shoots great.
No “flyers” unless l do it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Only accuracy, eh?  

Forrest
View Quote
Depends what the purpose of the gun is.

Punching holes in paper, or punching holes in badguys. 3moa is perfectly acceptable for the latter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The A3, not the NATO, has the bolt release/open
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They showed a different updated nato stock with one on their .300blk out one. But they have hinted other stuff that never come out before so who knows.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They showed a different updated nato stock with one on their .300blk out one. But they have hinted other stuff that never come out before so who knows.
View Quote
Which is why I mentioned A3, and not the new/unreleased 300blk
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Punching holes in paper, or punching holes in badguys. 3moa is perfectly acceptable for the latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only accuracy, eh?  

Forrest

My 3moa groups were with a T2 on a windy cold as heck day.  I have no doubt I could shrink those down using some glass and not freezing my ass off and fighting the wind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
My 4.5 MOA groups were with a Schmidt Bender 5-25 and 6 types of match ammo.   I did find a 62 grain ammo that eventually got me down to 3.5 moa.

I took my gun apart and did everything I could to see what the deal is - no joy.  Retorqued and loctited everything.   This was some time ago so I don't remember the exact details.

The Bren 805 however shot great lol.   So did the Radian Model 1 that I have instead of either of those.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is a fairly consistent 2-3 moa even with garbage ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mine is a fairly consistent 2-3 moa even with garbage ammunition.
View Quote
Same. I’ve never had complaints with accuracy on the X95. But my expectations are realistic.

For what it’s worth, I have an easier time making consistent offhand hits with both my original Tavor and X95 than many of my ARs. Plus there is no comparison in the lack of fatigue of keeping the X95 up to the shoulder for long durations vs other rifles.

That said I do like my AUG though and am getting ready to buy another. It’s great in its own way. No plans on getting rid of any of them. What do I know though. I like my FS2000 also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody notice that all the big dealers seem to be clearing out their X95 stock with advertised sales?

That usually indicates a new generation being released.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#31]
There never was an accuracy issue. They never made a precision x95 firearm. Only a military grade weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There never was an accuracy issue. They never made a precision x95 firearm. Only a military grade weapon.
View Quote
Hard to justify that when I’m shooting it side by side with my AUG. Both are military grade but one shoots 1.5-2” the other 4”+. I figure if IWI can make an AK accurate they can do the same with the x95.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hard to justify that when I’m shooting it side by side with my AUG. Both are military grade but one shoots 1.5-2” the other 4”+. I figure if IWI can make an AK accurate they can do the same with the x95.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sure they could have made it more accurate. Instead, they made it to spec. That’s more important, especially if exceeding that spec for no particular reason adds cost, complexity, or weight. Then they sold the existing rifle (with minimal mods to make it legal) to the civilian market, the problem is the civilian market didn’t spec the rifle and gets peepee hurt when it doesn’t make them look good when they shoot it from the bench @ 100.

IWI is perfectly capable of producing a precise rifle if that’s the requirement, they’ve produced the DAN for years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats not true at all.

The X95 was less accurate then the previous generation Tavor SAR, as well as less accurate then the Galil ACE - all made by the same company for military use.

That's an accuracy issue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’m sure they could have made it more accurate. Instead, they made it to spec. That’s more important, especially if exceeding that spec for no particular reason adds cost, complexity, or weight. Then they sold the existing rifle (with minimal mods to make it legal) to the civilian market, the problem is the civilian market didn’t spec the rifle and gets peepee hurt when it doesn’t make them look good when they shoot it from the bench @ 100.

IWI is perfectly capable of producing a precise rifle if that’s the requirement, they’ve produced the DAN for years.
View Quote
Accuracy wise, the x95 is a step backwards from that of the SAR

The ergonomics and balance drove me away from the x95 and SAR

Should have tried the AUG years ago
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Already have an AUG, but wouldn’t buy another because they quit selling them with CLB.  If it wasn’t for the accuracy issues with the X95 I would pick up another was hoping it was just issue with the early guns like the one I have.
View Quote
Wait, when did Steyr stop chrome lining their barrels? Are the newer barrels inferior in accuracy now? I was tempted to buy a new Steyr AUG later in 2019.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wait, when did Steyr stop chrome lining their barrels? Are the newer barrels inferior in accuracy now? I was tempted to buy a new Steyr AUG later in 2019.
View Quote
Newer production models have US manufactured barrels, they are melonite treated, As far as over all quality, Id chose a Steyr made barrel over a FN?

The Steyr manufactured barrels were of a better quality. The melonite finished barrels SHOULD be a better better if it were manufactured as well as the Steyr
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new barrels are being manufactured in house by Steyr, whereas before they were contract made by FN.

They are still Cold Hamer Forged, but are nitrided instead of chrome lined. Pretty similar to the CHF+Nitride barrels made by LWRC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, as said earlier they are nitrided now.  The FN bbls had about a 5k life before the accuracy and chrome started to give way. I have a nitrided bbl I’ve been beating on for the last 3 mo. The accuracy was the same as the FN bbl at the start but opened up from 2” to 3-3.5”at 3500rds after a particularly abusive range trip. (4 or 5 mag dumps in a row). Honestly the FN bbls were not that great as of late. The new Steyr bbls are better bbls I believe. They are Austrian blanks finished by Steyr USA but the nitride/Mannox is no substitute for chrome especially if you are going to get it hot. My bbl is a sample of one so take it as such.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top