Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2018 8:56:31 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting in the suppressor game in the next few months. I know an AUG isn't exactly the greatest thing to suppress. I'd like to get something universal but the AUG would probably be one of it's main hosts. Something in .30 cal and QD? I've read that works best with an AUG anyways (.30 cal). Throw some suggestions at me as I really have no first hand knowledge on anything Suppressor related. What are you guys using? Help me!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have ran a SDN6 for a few years on my Augs and it works great. It is not the quietest can but works well on the Aug system.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have ran a SDN6 for a few years on my Augs and it works great. It is not the quietest can but works well on the Aug system.
View Quote
Did you use the (for suppressor) gas plug?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting my paperwork in order for a Griffin Armament RSTA which is a .30 cal reflex suppressor. I really like the idea of a Reflex can on a bullpup, and the Griffin looks to be a good alternative to the few reflex cans on the market.

I would've like to get the Allen Engineering AEM5-30 or a similar can, but I don't want to get the barrel re-profiled for the collar.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope I just ran the standard plug that came with rifle. I would like to try out the new plug they are making sometime.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm getting my paperwork in order for a Griffin Armament RSTA which is a .30 cal reflex suppressor. I really like the idea of a Reflex can on a bullpup, and the Griffin looks to be a good alternative to the few reflex cans on the market.

I would've like to get the Allen Engineering AEM5-30 or a similar can, but I don't want to get the barrel re-profiled for the collar.
View Quote
The Griffin RSTA is on my short list. I'm curious how it works compared to others. It's WI made too!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope I just ran the standard plug that came with rifle. I would like to try out the new plug they are making sometime.
View Quote
Yeah, from what I've gathered if using a low back pressure and/or a .30 cal can, the different gas plug is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You can Efile and build your own can and get it approved in a faction of time of a form 4
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can Efile and build your own can and get it approved in a faction of time of a form 4
View Quote
My own can building capabilities would be quite rudimentary at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My own can building capabilities would be quite rudimentary at the moment.
View Quote
You can get by with a drill press, maybe a dremel if you are steady handed. If not, I’d recommend a Can with less back pressure as the AUG us already over gassed
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can get by with a drill press, maybe a dremel if you are steady handed. If not, I'd recommend a Can with less back pressure as the AUG us already over gassed
View Quote
Yeah I'm aware it should be a can with less back pressure. I guess I'm not sure which ones are low or less back pressure
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
All reflex cans and something like the OSS cans will either reduce or negate back pressure.

Allen Engineering makes reflex cans, Griffin used to but I only see the RSTAs which are their .30 cal reflex cans.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I’d recommend talking with Ratworx. Years ago, I purchased their AUG specific can that has a special attachment to the gas system which prevents the gas port “Pop.” With this set up its almost as quiet as my AR w/ M42000.

At first I had cycle issues, I wasn’t very good about responding to Ratworx and it took a while, but their customer service was excellent and they invested the time to make this work with my gun and loads (full power 5.56). It’s now one of my favorite set-ups.

What I appreciate most is the stellar customer service they have - they went out of their way, time after time, to make me happy.

I guess it also depends on what you’re looking for - the Ratworx can is 8” and weighs 26 oz. If you’re looking for enough suppression to take the edge off and want a super light can for CQB - this might not be for you. I’ll see if I can get a video posted here in the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd recommend talking with Ratworx. Years ago, I purchased their AUG specific can that has a special attachment to the gas system which prevents the gas port "Pop." With this set up its almost as quiet as my AR w/ M42000.

At first I had cycle issues, I wasn't very good about responding to Ratworx and it took a while, but their customer service was excellent and they invested the time to make this work with my gun and loads (full power 5.56). It's now one of my favorite set-ups.

What I appreciate most is the stellar customer service they have - they went out of their way, time after time, to make me happy.

I guess it also depends on what you're looking for - the Ratworx can is 8" and weighs 26 oz. If you're looking for enough suppression to take the edge off and want a super light can for CQB - this might not be for you. I'll see if I can get a video posted here in the next few days.
View Quote
Yeah I've read about it. I've never found one for sale and was unsure it ever really went into "mass production". It's a neat concept but I was hoping to keep the can somewhat universal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The issue with universal will be a mount to fit the LH threads. You might consider a 1/2x28 adapter and get a “mini” can like Surefire mini, AAC Mini-4 or Saker 556K.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The issue with universal will be a mount to fit the LH threads. You might consider a 1/2x28 adapter and get a "mini" can like Surefire mini, AAC Mini-4 or Saker 556K.
View Quote
Yeah Ratworx has an adapter. $30. I planned on picking one up regardless
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not wait and see how the one Steyr is coming out with turns out?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not wait and see how the one Steyr is coming out with turns out?
View Quote
That was my intial plan. What's the ETA on that anyway? I was looking for info on it this morning and couldn't find shit. I just don't want to sit around waiting for years
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The issue with universal will be a mount to fit the LH threads. You might consider a 1/2x28 adapter and get a “mini” can like Surefire mini, AAC Mini-4 or Saker 556K.
View Quote
My 556k with keymo doesn't sound as well as my sandman L. In fact I'm underwhelmed with their performance on the AUG, even with the suppressor gas regulator.

Steyr said they'll be selling the AUG specific UMS in 2019. I'll be a buyer the minute it's put up for sale.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Myself and others have been begging Steyr for either A. 1/2x28 RH threaded barrels or B. unthreaded barrels so we can at least start off with something to work with rather than dick around with combining metric threads and standard threaded muzzle devices.

10 years since the AUG is back in the USA. It's time to step up Steyr.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Myself and others have been begging Steyr for either A. 1/2x28 RH threaded barrels or B. unthreaded barrels so we can at least start off with something to work with rather than dick around with combining metric threads and standard threaded muzzle devices.

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:08:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
the good thing about the Steyr can is that it's supposed to attach to the standard AUG muzzle device
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I've run a Saker 762 and currently run a SAS M47 on mine.  Like has been mentioned the barrel threads are a PIA.  I used a AAC mount for the Saker (CRAP, at least with SiCo's 51t adapter).  Tim made me a correctly threaded mount for the M47 and that's what I run now.  Would love to have one of the old reflex cans that used the FH.

Also, ADCO will put new threads on your muzzle in 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed, I don't know why they still roll with the 13x1 L thread other than nostalgia. I'll probably put in for the Steyr UMS eventually, but I'm not the type of guy to be the first on the block to buy anything new. So for now I'd like something universal to use on my ARs (10s/15s), bolt gun, etc as well as my AUG.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've run a Saker 762 and currently run a SAS M47 on mine.  Like has been mentioned the barrel threads are a PIA.  I used a AAC mount for the Saker (CRAP, at least with SiCo's 51t adapter).  Tim made me a correctly threaded mount for the M47 and that's what I run now.  Would love to have one of the old reflex cans that used the FH.

Also, ADCO will put new threads on your muzzle in 1/2x28.
View Quote
Do you run the suppressor gas plug? Was there a big difference in back pressure from a .30 to a .223 can? I'm pondering a YHM Resonator for cost purposes at the moment but I'm concerned about getting as low of back pressure can as I can. I can't find much data or information on this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a suppressor plug, and it helps for sure.  The AUG is pretty well sealed up, most of the gas leakage comes out the butt pad and leaves nice carbon deposits on your shirt.  Not much difference between the Saker and the M47, they are roughly the same size with the exception of the exit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a suppressor plug, and it helps for sure.  The AUG is pretty well sealed up, most of the gas leakage comes out the butt pad and leaves nice carbon deposits on your shirt.  Not much difference between the Saker and the M47, they are roughly the same size with the exception of the exit.
View Quote
Noted. Thanks. I wonder if anyone has tried a Relex and Std can back to back, if eliminated some of that rearward gas?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Yankee Hill ULT on one, SDN6 on another. Because those are the only two companies that have made 13x1 LH muzzle devices readily available.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I think Tuukka from Ase stated the AUG simply does not suppress well at all.

I use a 30 cal Surefire can, not known for great suppression but also low back pressure. It's not as quiet as an AR but it certainly is a lot better than no can at all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I use a Surefire Micro on my MSAR E4

As other's have said, this platform isn't the quietest, but it's a whale of a difference with/without a can.  Plus the SF can's have such low backpressure that I've not had any issues with cycyling.  I just use the factor gas plug and it runs fine on or off.

I have a SF Micro that I use with the MSAR.  It's only 4 ish inches long, so it keeps the system as short package as it was meant to be.  Cuts down the muzzle blast to reasonable amounts, and since you're so close to the muzzle on a bullpup, that's a nice advantage.

I think SF makes (occasionally) a left handed flash hider for the AUG, so that, plus one of their Mini cans would be a drop in package, without having to fool with different gas plugs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an AAC 240 SD .308 suppressor that I use on all of my rifles from .308 down to 5.56. I have changed all of the flash hiders out to the AAC Blackout 51T flash hider/sound suppressor Quick Detach unit. That way I simply and quickly screw on/off the suppressor onto the Blackout flash hider, no matter whether it's a 5.56 or .308 rifle. AAC makes the Blackout Flash hider/QD suppressor mount for most rifle threads. They even make one to fit the standard Steyr Aug barrel left hand threads. No shim is needed either. I have one on my Steyr Aug A3, but, don't have access to a shooting range where I can try it out for sound reduction.

AAC Blackout
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm currently running a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 mini and the supressor gas plug.

Runs great with this combo, not super quiet but it works.

Helps that surefire has an AUG mount.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm currently running a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 mini and the supressor gas plug.

Runs great with this combo, not super quiet but it works.

Helps that surefire has an AUG mount.
View Quote
Did you still notice any significant increase in carbon build up? Do you get the buttplate carbon ring on your shirt? Is there a noticeable increase in gas by your face?

Add: Those questions are directed at all respondents.

At the moment I'm going back and forth between an OSS HX QD 7.62 and a YHM Resonator. This can will likely spend most of its life on my AUG but I'd like the option to move it to other platforms should need arise. I'm not made of money so the Resonator seems like a great option with YHM also making a direct mount for the AUG. But if a Baffle style can (even with a suppressor plug) is going to cause a significant increase in the items listed on top, I'll suck it up and get the OSS and a thread adaptor (They have 2 free muzzle devices with can purchase till the end of the year).
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#34]
OSS HelixQD
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OSS HelixQD
View Quote
And how did it perform on your AUG?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OSS HelixQD
View Quote
Go on.......
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I went with the YHM Resonator. The mounting system and value were too much to pass up
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Let us know how it performs. Can you use it in jail?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let us know how it performs. Can you use it in jail?
View Quote
I'll definitely give a report when I get it. Jail time use is unlikely. Unfortunately we are still waiting on the Form 3 to go through to even really start the process. Damn .gov shutdown! It's gonna be awhile
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I decided to take off my Form 1 suppressor and had my barrel cut and tapered for my new full Nelson suppressor

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top