Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2018 10:48:49 PM EDT
Looking at buying a new Tavor and Im a left handed shooter. Found a good deal on a LH SAR and then found a good deal on a RH X95 for the same price. Now I keep going back and fourth and can not decide. I would be done with the LH SAR or should I go for the newer x95 and change bolts later on. What say you guys and gals?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s really a feature question.  Do you want the original SAR or the X95?  Do the changes in the X95 (mag release, better trigger, railed handguard, and option to get a normal small triggerguard instead of the big open cutlass style) outweigh the added cost of getting a LH bolt for it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Handle both decide which feels better to you then buy it. They are close enough its just personal preference. I have both I like the x95 a bit more, though the handguard on the SAR is one comfy mofo and a lot of people who have fired both of mine prefer the SAR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Have two SAR Tavors and had X95, I guess that says it all for my preference.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah I really like both, now I see the 9mm version going for cheap too. Looking on IWI's web site and the LH conversion is only $139 and I still keep the RH BOLT  and also get a barrel wrench too. Oh brother....guess what I really need is a bunch more money! I think the 9mm Tavor can be converted for either hand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Handled both today and surprised I did like the SAR better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the 9mm Tavor can be converted for either hand.
View Quote
Can it?  Last I looked on their site there wasn't any mention of LH 9mm options.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I was never a fan of the first one--when they started selling them here, Israel had already stopped using them and moved on to the X95, so I felt like selling them in the US was just a scam to make money.  I was happy they brought out the X95, which I prefer by far; however, being left-handed needs to go into the equation.

NOTE:  IF this isn't a SHTF gun, but just HD and plinking, I'd highly recommend the $700-$750 KelTec RDB (and as a KT hater, I can't believe I'm saying that).  It's fully ambi out of the box, is softer, smoother, and has better trigger than any Tavor (out of the box).  While some have 10K rounds through them, I don't...but...the design is amazing (and I was always more of an AUG person).  It's my only bullpup at the moment, and I was getting an X95; however, I've decided to hold off until I see how this holds up in a few classes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can it?  Last I looked on their site there wasn't any mention of LH 9mm options.
View Quote
Yes, from what I have read about 9mm Tavors you can make it right or left hand eject with no bolt conversion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was never a fan of the first one--when they started selling them here, Israel had already stopped using them and moved on to the X95, so I felt like selling them in the US was just a scam to make money.  I was happy they brought out the X95, which I prefer by far; however, being left-handed needs to go into the equation.

NOTE:  IF this isn't a SHTF gun, but just HD and plinking, I'd highly recommend the $700-$750 KelTec RDB (and as a KT hater, I can't believe I'm saying that).  It's fully ambi out of the box, is softer, smoother, and has better trigger than any Tavor (out of the box).  While some have 10K rounds through them, I don't...but...the design is amazing (and I was always more of an AUG person).  It's my only bullpup at the moment, and I was getting an X95; however, I've decided to hold off until I see how this holds up in a few classes.
View Quote
I was considering the RDB too. I use to own an RFB and still have a KSG-NR that has been wonderful! I think I'm going to end up with a Tavor SAR though. I really did like the feel a tad better than the x95 Plus I like the mag release on the SAR too. Still a hard choice as I do like the x-95 as well. Plus they are stopping importing of the SAR soon so may become a bit of a collectors piece.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the SAR version.

Buddy of mine shooting my rifle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the sar. I have between 3000-4000rds through mine and it has been rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
Got both prefer the sar  and I'm a lefty also
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
When it was time for me to spend my hard earned cash on a Tavor I researched the SAR and X95 extensively and went with the original.  I'm very pleased with my choice.

The accuracy issues associated with some X95s is enough to scare me away.  Also, I don't see any of the X95 changes an "improvement" over the SAR.  I have read the trigger pull is better, but having owned AUGs in the past .... you accept bullpup triggers as sucking sour eggs and move on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my SAR.  The X95 would be nice to have with the built-in pic rails, though.

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Great pictures everyone! I bought the SAR in 5.56 and it’s being shipped soon.

I’m thinking of putting a Crossfire red dot on it (which I already have) or buying an Aimpoint pro. Can’t wait for it to come in!

If anyone knows of favorable ammo it likes let me know. I do not handload so only factory stuff would interest me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great pictures everyone! I bought the SAR in 5.56 and it's being shipped soon.

I'm thinking of putting a Crossfire red dot on it (which I already have) or buying an Aimpoint pro. Can't wait for it to come in!

If anyone knows of favorable ammo it likes let me know. I do not handload so only factory stuff would interest me.
View Quote
Congrats, I have both an X95 and SAR and was a bit shocked at how much more I like the SAR. I've grown fond of the magazine release and it just shoulders more naturally for me. I like the X95s slim look with the pistol grip though.

As far as ammo, my SAR isn't picky.. PMC 223, Federal XM193, Wolf Gold.. it will it eat it all without an issue. I also recommend our EE forum for optics sales from vendors and other members.. usually some good deals to be had! I've had a Mepro RDS on mine since 2014 (?).. it sits at the right height for the Tavor and FOV is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Congrats, I have both an X95 and SAR and was a bit shocked at how much more I like the SAR. I've grown fond of the magazine release and it just shoulders more naturally for me. I like the X95s slim look with the pistol grip though.

As far as ammo, my SAR isn't picky.. PMC 223, Federal XM193, Wolf Gold.. it will it eat it all without an issue. I also recommend our EE forum for optics sales from vendors and other members.. usually some good deals to be had! I've had a Mepro RDS on mine since 2014 (?).. it sits at the right height for the Tavor and FOV is excellent.
View Quote
Yes that would be another great red dot too! the Mepro RDS

Also what are you guys  seeing for accuracy? I'm expecting 2"-3" at 100 on a good day...sound about right for this firearm?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#18]
2-3 MOA with .223, M193, or M855 is about the norm for me. I can get it to 1.5 or below using 69gr or 77gr ammo depending on how patient I'm feeling

Don't forget the SAR has a heavier trigger than the X95 so that could be a potential mod for you in the future as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
My sar has ate every type of ammo and never had a failure. Pmc bronze, pmc xtac, federal, xm193,xm855, fiocchi, wolf, tula, winchester whitebox, win q3131, perfecta, radway. Have fun it's a bad ass rifle everyone that shoots it will leave with a smile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top