BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wonder if the SG price was a blowout, or the new normal?
View Quote
Looks like theyre coming out with a gen2 version.

RDB Tactical
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My FFL said that my gun was less expensive than the dealer cost they paid for the one they were selling for $1000.
View Quote
The FFL I used had one on the shelf for $1100, lol.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Looks like theyre coming out with a gen2 version.

RDB Tactical
View Quote
I'll take the tactical mlok and a wood handguard please. Bolt handle is nice as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll take the tactical mlok and a wood handguard please. Bolt handle is nice as well.
View Quote
Even when I bought the RDB, I still had plans to get an X95. Now, I may hold off and get another RDB or RDB Tactical.

It really is renewing my interest in 5.56 as I really like shorter rifles and, warranted or not, I'm not a huge fan of 5.56 in barrels under 14.5".
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I REALLY hope the handfuard for the “tactical” version will retrofit to our guns.  Hopefully the charging handle too.

I’ve been wondering about compatibility since I saw these at SHOT SHOW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m not a fan of the aftermarket one since it kinda lets the trigger guard dangle down on its own.  They cover it up in the photo with the sling, but if you google it, you’ll see what I mean.  
The keltec version looks better (which is shocking, since they’re not good with aesthetics usually).
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m not a fan of the aftermarket one since it kinda lets the trigger guard dangle down on its own.  They cover it up in the photo with the sling, but if you google it, you’ll see what I mean.  
The keltec version looks better (which is shocking, since they’re not good with aesthetics usually).
View Quote
I see what you mean... That’s pretty damned  shady hiding that part of the rifle with the sling, if you ask me.

I like the “tactical” one for practicality, but the RDB-S smaller handguard is more aesthetically pleasing to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I checked out the aluminum handguard previously mentioned and I don't really like it. I would prefer a slimmer, M-LOK compatible handguard. The one on the supposed RDB Tactical looks quite nice and hopefully will work with the regular RDB if/when released.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Am I the only one that likes the looks and feel of the factory forearm? Finally, I won't have to spend extra money right away.

Basing that I like the feel on me fondling one at a LGS.

Mine should arrive at my FFL tomorrow...I hope he is quick to let me come pick it up.  First time with this guy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that likes the looks and feel of the factory forearm? Finally, I won't have to spend extra money right away.

Basing that I like the feel on me fondling one at a LGS.

Mine should arrive at my FFL tomorrow...I hope he is quick to let me come pick it up.  First time with this guy.
View Quote
I'm somewhat indifferent on the stock hand guard. Looks aren't that great, but it feels pretty good and I do enjoy the longer reach.

A little concerned about how it will retain heat too, but my main issue is where I'm going to strap a light to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Arrived today. I am VERY happy with my first firearm purchase from SG....also first time with this new FFL. Everything went smooth!

Now the important stuff about the gun.

Haven't shot it yet, will run pop a few informal rounds through it tomorrow if it isn't raining.

Love the gun. Threw a few things on it and I am ready roll.

I actually think the 40rd Pmags loom awesome in the gun. Gives it an optical illusion of looking even shorty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the looks of the vfg. I've been trying to decide what to put on mine. I still haven't shot it yet, it'll happen tomorrow or Friday for sure though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I never cared for vertical grips, but it actually does look pretty good in that picture.

The take down pin in the rail does get pretty warm after a few rounds.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Put about 120 rounds through it today. Was mostly function testing, did get it on the paper at 25. Was at the local range and every deer hunter from a 50 mile radius was there. Still fun. No offesne, but they shoot 2 rounds and then have to walk to the 200 yard target, rinse and repeat.

Very smooth running gun. The gun barely moves. Shot it on the factory gas setting. Ran some federal green tip stuff through it as well as some 55 grain FMJ home brew. All ran perfect. I had to upset the apple cart by trying some of my lower powered powder coated cast bullets. It ran a couple then hung up. I am sure they would be fine if I added more gas.

Overall very satisfied.

Was using a mixture of 40rd Pmags, 30rd pmags and lancer mags. No trouble. The mag release takes a little practice to use efficiently, but works well once you get the hang of it.

I need ro run lots more through it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very smooth running gun.
View Quote
Yes it is.

I know it has a huge brake in this video, but even still.

Kel-tec RDB rifle in action
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked mine up yesterday, very solid rifle. I recommend getting the mag well for it though, it was easy to install too. Can't wait to take it to the range!

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rdb-magwell
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is my new Kel-Tec RDB. It's a real steal at $712 as they were going for about $1500 when released a few years ago. I already added a Nikon optic and a angled grip. Very solid rifle and can't wait to take it to the range.

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
So the RDB 2.0 has;
-1" shorter barrel (meh)
-MLOK handguard (okay, folks have been waiting for one since the rollout demo a year+ ago)
-Buttstock can get 1.5" longer (the gun already has a fairly long LOP, folks really need it longer?  I suppose that explains the MSBS/Grot)

I get that they've been recouping investment vs. developing the product, but it's kind of lame to call that a new model.  RDB 'tactical' is as good a description as any since the MLOK rail *does* let you hang a ton of tacticool crap off the front --and that's all that differentiate's 'tactical' products from the others

A brass catcher would be about 2X as interesting, and would be bought by every last owner if under 50$
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone had trouble with a loose pic rail? The front of the rail is pretty solid but the rear has some movement. And I don’t mean barely any play but a fair amount with little pressure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has anyone had trouble with a loose pic rail? The front of the rail is pretty solid but the rear has some movement. And I don’t mean barely any play but a fair amount with little pressure.
View Quote
Not yet, and I have a fairly heavy PA Cyclops sitting on top of it. Only about 160 rounds though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Did a 40rd function test/rough sight in today with the place holder 3-9 Accupower, very consistent shooter! Worked fine with a Lancer and a Thermold 20rd mag.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not yet, and I have a fairly heavy PA Cyclops sitting on top of it. Only about 160 rounds though.
View Quote
It looks like a small amount of play is normal. Something to do with the barrel and rail area heating up and allowing for some minor expansion areas. The front of the rail is still solid. Hopefully it wont mess with POI at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Same concern was brought up with the RFB.

Rail connected to barrel in 2 places, far apart. Barrel gets super hot and expands, rail does not.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Same concern was brought up with the RFB.

Rail connected to barrel in 2 places, far apart. Barrel gets super hot and expands, rail does not.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kel-tec-rdb-m43-bullpup-rifle-disassembled-750x412.jpg

http://209.197.93.201/RFB-ExplodedView.jpg
View Quote
Could be why it's a 2-3moa rifle? I'm cool with that though. This is a house clearing/riding around looking for hogs gun for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
That would be my guess as well. Because there are parts attached to the barrel (including the gas piston) and it can't be free floated it would at most be a consistent 2-3 MOA gun. Which I am fine with really as it's plenty accurate enough as it is. In case anyone is wondering it would appear KT may have made some design changes to the pic rail since the original design. The rear screw has a small, round spacer and a wave type washer. KT customer support told me a little bit of play is normal but if I wanted no play I could tighten that screw completely, which does remove the play I noticed. However I did read online that the screw has to be 1/4 turn loose to allow that area of the rail to expand when the barrel begins to heat up. If it's completely tight the gun will start to string it's shots. So I took the screw out and added a dab of red loctite (seems to be what most are doing and also what KT CS recommended) and tightened it all the way, then backed it off 1/4 turn. It has the same amount of play as it did originally so I suspect that little bit of movement is intentional as confirmed by KT CS and some KTOG members.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Rail wobble isn't good...built in "expansion" seems odd, since this isn't an SR-71.
I'll definitely move my sight a tiny bit more forward (though if I wanted to use a prism/scope, this wouldn't be possible).  I'd like to be able to hit a 12" gong at 300Y with a 3X...don't need more than that.

I still want to know if the "tactical" mlok rail will fit on our RDBs...I REALLY hope so, and if so, that's an easy and fast $100 from a LOT of people before they even produce the rest of the gun.  I only care that my gun is over 26" (for VFG), so a 1" shorter barrel isn't a big deal (not that one inch longer has any noticeable difference in BDCs since it's such a small fps advantage--but faster is better).  I have NO USE for a longer LOP, but if the new gun went from 0.5" smaller to 2" longer, I'd want it for that half-inch less...if I didn't have to pay over $900 to get it (WITH the new rail).

I wonder if the shorter barrel means there's any truth to the idea of barrel whip in these guns (which I've seen mentioned a few times--comparing it to the MINI14's whip).
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rail wobble isn't good...built in "expansion" seems odd, since this isn't an SR-71.
I'll definitely move my sight a tiny bit more forward (though if I wanted to use a prism/scope, this wouldn't be possible).  I'd like to be able to hit a 12" gong at 300Y with a 3X...don't need more than that.

I still want to know if the "tactical" mlok rail will fit on our RDBs...I REALLY hope so, and if so, that's an easy and fast $100 from a LOT of people before they even produce the rest of the gun.  I only care that my gun is over 26" (for VFG), so a 1" shorter barrel isn't a big deal (not that one inch longer has any noticeable difference in BDCs since it's such a small fps advantage--but faster is better).  I have NO USE for a longer LOP, but if the new gun went from 0.5" smaller to 2" longer, I'd want it for that half-inch less...if I didn't have to pay over $900 to get it (WITH the new rail).

I wonder if the shorter barrel means there's any truth to the idea of barrel whip in these guns (which I've seen mentioned a few times--comparing it to the MINI14's whip).  
View Quote
Most likely because the rail is attached directly to the barrel/barrel supports. What I read was that if the rear screw on the rail is completely tightened, the heat expansion of the barrel affects the rail and causes the shots to veritcally string, but it's really hard to say if that is even accurate. I have also read that loading up the handguard could cause increased group sizes/POI shift, but once again I am not sure. I believe there is some truth to it but I don't know much much. Just too much stuff that directly touches the barrel it would seem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot another 90 rounds today to get my total to 250, and sure enough, the top rail screw backed out about 3 turns.

Got home and I did what people over on the kel-tec forums say to do:

Degreased the screw, put a drop of red locktite on the threads, tightened it down then backed it out 1/8 of a turn.

Other than that, I've enjoyed every one of the 250 rounds I've shot through the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Ready for my first range session:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I ordered one friday. It will arrive at my FFL tuesday. Cant wait to pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Only the purple ones fit.
View Quote
Da fuq?  

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
That was sarcasm, in response to a thread about purple lancers becoming available, lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are there two generations of RDB, and am I correct that the forends are not interchangeable between the two?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
There are 3 RDB's right now.
I believe the RDB and RDB-S handguards are interchangeable, not sure about the RDB-C

RDB (17")

RDB-C

RDB-S
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are there two generations of RDB, and am I correct that the forends are not interchangeable between the two?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That’s the type of question people ask you
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That’s the type of question people ask you
View Quote
Yeah, isn't Manticore supposed to buy like one of everything?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm hoping the RDB-Tactical handguard will fit, but the guy (not Sean) I talked to at KelTec said he didn't think it would.  He seemed to think the RDB tactical was more like the GEN2-SUB-2K, with a lot of changes. I'm really hoping he's wrong.  The only changes I KNOW about are a 1" shorter and likely thicker barrel, and the rail (though there were some rumblings about the possibility of a new mag-release).  I THINK the SHOT SHOW gun just had the new rail and maybe the shorter barrel.

These things have come down from $1400, to $1000-$1100, then $900 to $700.  
I'll pay $950 for a gun with an mlok handguard and a barrel that's a bit more accurate, but no more than $250 over what I paid for my current RDB.  I wish I liked the one aftermarket handguard more, but the aesthetics just don't do it for me (not that keltecs are known for great aesthetics).  I think I may design my own buttstock, since it's just a matter of two screws holding it on.  I'd like one something like 3/4" shorter and a 1" thinner with a different shape on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm hoping the RDB-Tactical handguard will fit, but the guy (not Sean) I talked to at KelTec said he didn't think it would.  He seemed to think the RDB tactical was more like the GEN2-SUB-2K, with a lot of changes. I'm really hoping he's wrong.  The only changes I KNOW about are a 1" shorter and likely thicker barrel, and the rail (though there were some rumblings about the possibility of a new mag-release).  I THINK the SHOT SHOW gun just had the new rail and maybe the shorter barrel.

These things have come down from $1400, to $1000-$1100, then $900 to $700.  
I'll pay $950 for a gun with an mlok handguard and a barrel that's a bit more accurate, but no more than $250 over what I paid for my current RDB.  I wish I liked the one aftermarket handguard more, but the aesthetics just don't do it for me (not that keltecs are known for great aesthetics).  I think I may design my own buttstock, since it's just a matter of two screws holding it on.  I'd like one something like 3/4" shorter and a 1" thinner with a different shape on the shoulder.
View Quote
Did he give any idea when the Tactical would be released?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Picked up mine from my FFL sunday!

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Where are people getting those short plastic handguards from?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where are people getting those short plastic handguards from?
View Quote
KelTec, from the RDB-S variant
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I hope PSA blows these things out for like 650 on black friday.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hope PSA blows these things out for like 650 on black friday.
View Quote
If they do, I will buy another.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If they do, I will buy another.
View Quote
Shoot I might snag one at this price if the election goes south.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#47]
RDB $712 @ sportsman's guide
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I got mine today and it doesn’t work...

Out of the box I noticed the hammer wouldn’t fall and sometimes it wouldn’t let me manually cycle the bolt. Some genius at keltec didn’t put the C clip on the left side rear sling attachment point. If either of those sling points falls inward it will completely stop this gun from working.

What a stupid QC mistake.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Also does anyone have issues inserting gen 3 pmags? Mine won’t let gen 3 pmags insert if the hammer is down.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Kind of want, The Keltec part makes me want it less.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top