Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2018 11:30:55 PM EDT
MI teased their new rail for the M1 AUG on FB today

Attachment Attached File

Not for me but maybe someone here would dig it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a sucker for the integrated optic, so I'm personally a no go. It's nice to see some more M1 aftermarket support rails wise.

I'm still waiting on the little quad rail Pete showed a few months back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good! I love people adding area for lights and lasers looks good
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
This right here is what I have been waiting for!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks beautiful, but the rail needs to be extended rearward to right in front of the ejection port ala Corvus / PJ extended rail.

That would make it perfect
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks beautiful, but the rail needs to be extended rearward to right in front of the ejection port ala Corvus / PJ extended rail.

That would make it perfect
View Quote
I agree, the rail should have been extended farther back. I like the Mlok sections and the utility of it.

But I gotta say, from a purely aesthetic standpoint. I think the rail looks butt-ugly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one more rearward than front bias to work with some of the aftermarket brass catchers.  It already has a light mount & sling mounts - dont see a need for another option for rails/mounts out front like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish they had extended the rail further to rear.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish they had extended the rail further to rear.
View Quote
I don't know WHY I did not see that this morning.   Puts me right back out of the game.

I also think the lower MLOK stuff is ugly...though a bit of lower run for the purpose of strength I would understand.

Dang it....so close.....yet so far away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The corvus one looks much better
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I really don't care what it looks like to a point. I think it looks as good as an A3 with the kind of useless extended rail it had.

I would really like this set up to be able to run a light or laser system for night vision.

With this said I would also love to see a complete rail system that is similar to the CQC but MLOK for the A3M1. It would help a lot with the heat generated when you put a few mags through it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Not my cup of tea but I think it's a good start to something many might be interested in.

Two changes I would like to see.
1. Extend the rail all the way to the ejection port
2. Looking closely, the picatinny rail is solid above and slightly rearward of the "hump". I'd like to see it continuously solid across the entire hump area. I wouldn't mind losing 7 slots if it means the rail won't break in half with a fall.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not my cup of tea but I think it's a good start to something many might be interested in.

Two changes I would like to see.
1. Extend the rail all the way to the ejection port
2. Looking closely, the picatinny rail is solid above and slightly rearward of the "hump". I'd like to see it continuously solid across the entire hump area. I wouldn't mind losing 7 slots if it means the rail won't break in half with a fall.
View Quote
Excellent assessment!  It does look like the M-Lock extension would abut against the gas block under bend to keep the rail from overflexing to the breaking point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a sucker for the integrated optic, so I'm personally a no go. It's nice to see some more M1 aftermarket support rails wise.

I'm still waiting on the little quad rail Pete showed a few months back.
View Quote
Didn’t see that one, where would one go about finding that ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I actually spoke with Pete about this. He said that he felt there was not enough interest in the rail system to produce it. I was pretty sad about that since I really liked it. I would love to have his system but in MLOK to make it a little more modular. If you guys want to start a pole on here or something to help show there is demand for such a thing that may get him to rethink his decision.

Also in case MI is looking at this at all I too am in the camp that would prefer this rail extend as far rearward as the Corvus or Steyr long rail. I also agree with the interruption in the top rail being unfortunate. I like basically everything else about it though. It doesn't look like it will get in the way of running a suppressor with a 16" barrel at least.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]
For those who want a longer rail, I suggest commenting on MI's FB:
https://www.facebook.com/173381586063668/photos/a.578080892260400/1756020227799788/?type=3&theater

Or, per MI's FB, the lead on the project is:
[email protected]

I sent them an email requesting a longer rail, if more do so, we're more likely to see one produced.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I emailed Pete and provided a link to the thread. Hopefully they listen to positive feedback.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the interest folks.
This handguard is being built with Steyr Arms Law Enforcement division to a spec they are requesting.
This product will be available to everyone once we have fulfilled the LE contract.

Thank you.
View Quote
Hi MI,

Thanks for commenting. Is it possible to produce the rail so that it extends to the ejection port?

This will allow the better use of iron sights, as well as improve use with short eye relief optics:

Extending the rail to the ejection port is also consistent with 'best practices' for all of the modern bullpup designs:

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh well, I'm going to stick with Pete's long rail in that case.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh well, I'm going to stick with Pete's long rail in that case.
View Quote
You should really consider the Corvus long rail as well

http://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/corvusdefensio/cd-receiverrailm1se.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the Corvus rail and its superb. Integral ACOG mount + really handy rearward sling swivels.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the Corvus rail and its superb. Integral ACOG mount + really handy rearward sling swivels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't really do anything for me, my rail is essentially the same size and I don't run an ACOG, correctly using a Gear Head Works takedown swivel mount.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the interest folks.
This handguard is being built with Steyr Arms Law Enforcement division to a spec they are requesting.
This product will be available to everyone once we have fulfilled the LE contract.

Thank you.
View Quote
MI, I am VERY glad to see someone responding to the need for a longer rail on the A3M1.  I would suggest taking a look at lengthening the rail to the ejection port, trying to fill in the sling swivel hump over-ride as much as is feasible and also creating an optional rail system without the M-Lock shroud but with a narrower "underfeature" feature that would prevent snagging and such of things like slings or seat belts.

Again, thank you for working on this issue!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
They need to have a bottom on it with pic rail.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They need to have a bottom on it with pic rail.
View Quote
How would you get the barrel out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top