Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2018 5:19:58 PM EDT
I can definitely appreciate Keltec's interchangeable parts.  I never did really like the fat, long handguard with a rail under it I'll never use.

Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat! I like that
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Can certainly appreciate that over the standard one.

Hell, it almost starts to resemble the RFB.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That has turned the RDB into a very visually pleasing rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If only they'd start selling the grip frame on its own so I can have a super lightweight bullpup with a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks great!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Now SBR it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now SBR it.
View Quote
Why?  The gains are outweighed by the restrictions and losses.  You don't gain much, if anything, SBR'ing a bullpup in the way you might when you turn an AR or AK into a runt gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I DO like the looks of the shorter, narrower handguard, but is it long enough to really feel good using your support arm?  I wish it had options for mounting a VFG.  
But then, I wish Manticore, Midwest Ind, or someone would make an m-lok one that was visually pleasing (the only aftermarket one I've seen doesn't blend with the trigger-guard at all) and functional.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry guys, I've been neglecting my own thread.  Thanks for the compliments.   As an update, they are now making the S handguard in black.

@eviljoe Personally, I am totally happy with how it feels.  If you're accustomed to a different style, such as a straighter support arm, then it might feel wrong.

But- That's an interesting point about bullpups.  They really preclude any alternate grip styles other than what they were designed for.  It would be hard to hold a PS90 or AUG in a way other than it was designed to be held.

An exception would be the RDB, with the original, long handguard.  So, there's a plus for even more versatility.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That has turned the RDB into a very visually pleasing rifle.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Are these available for sale someplace?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think they are advertised for sale anywhere.  I contacted Keltec directly via their site and was given a number to call for ordering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Price?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid $50 plus shipping.

Here's a slightly blurry photo of the black one:
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks sharp
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That looks sharp
View Quote
That's because the angle & lighting make the waffle-grid harder to see
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks more like the RFB now.

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Waffle in full glory:

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I wrapped my front handguard on my RFB in pebbled texture grip tape.  I like it much better than the original slick texture....

I've seen several people stipple the waffle blocks.

It looks like the texture on the RDB plastic is more matte than on the RFB.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Waffle in full glory:

https://i.imgur.com/KLMIh3f.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waffle in full glory:

https://i.imgur.com/KLMIh3f.jpg
I like that, almost MP5-ish on the front handguard.  Also, notice how much more difficult it looks to accidentally bump to toasty takedown pin (someone does need to make one with nylon tips, though)

We're not quite there yet, but it's a start;

Hmmmm....er, "pinnnnnnnnnng"
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want to avoid the ping, I know there are a few options for tine-flash hiders, but I cannot recommend WHITE SOUND DEFENSE's FOSSA-556 flash-hider enough.  NO flash, and no PIIIING.  There's even some slight recoil and muzzle-rise mitigation (we're talking 15-20%).
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote
X 2!!!  Much better looking.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks much better. If they got rid of the waffle patterns and screw holes everywhere it would be even more visually appealing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd be interested in what the RDB-C handguard would look like.  The -S seems too short.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in what the RDB-C handguard would look like.  The -S seems too short.
View Quote
I'd be curious myself.  It looks like the distance to the front pin is the same on all versions.  Eyeballing the length, the the C could extend out under or past the flash hider.

It would be nice if I could get my hands on a C handguard for a test fit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know if the RDB-S buttstock will fit on the standard RDB?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I called KelTec today to get an RDB-S handguard.  They said they couldn’t sell it to me.  They had a FEW they sold for $50, but they didn’t even have an official price yet, mich less extra parts.

Told me to go on Facebook and tell that guy that I want one since he can talk to the right people.

Worse news:
One guy said the new RDB tactical rail probably won’t fit on our old RDB’s.  He said that like with the gen2 SUB-2K, he thinks they may have changed things around.  I DO NOT want to have to pay $1300 for a “tactical” model.  Even a thicker, shorter (possibly more accurate) barrel and that handguard aren’t really worth $600 to me.  It wasn’t Sean, so I’m hoping this guy was wrong.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#29]
They probably don't make a lot of forearms earmarked for spare parts only, and never expected there to be a market for them.  That may be it for a while.

A member here PM'd me about who to call to order.  I asked them (at KT) who I should tell folks to call there to order, and was told that aren't really cleared for sale in general.  I was later told that folks were welcome to call, but (as eviljoe said) they are all sold out right now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's a slightly different take on this concept:

For you guys that own the unmodified RDBs....do you think that the bottom rail could simply be milled off of the bottom of the hand guard without overly compromising the strength?

I would really like to preserve the more rectangular appearance of the standard guard but have the smooth feel of the survival guard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's a slightly different take on this concept:

For you guys that own the unmodified RDBs....do you think that the bottom rail could simply be milled off of the bottom of the hand guard without overly compromising the strength?

I would really like to preserve the more rectangular appearance of the standard guard but have the smooth feel of the survival guard.
View Quote
It's a good idea, but the standard guard has a negative channel on the inside bottom.  If you milled the rail down smooth, I'm pretty sure it would cut through and there would be an open slot where the rail used to be.  The screws are staggered, so it may still be stiff enough without a bottom.  As a plus,  you'd have extra ventilation.

You could mill it off except for a few slots in the front and rear.  Then you could still attach something, and still probably have good strength.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's a good idea, but the standard guard has a negative channel on the inside bottom.  If you milled the rail down smooth, I'm pretty sure it would cut through and there would be an open slot where the rail used to be.  The screws are staggered, so it may still be stiff enough without a bottom.  As a plus,  you'd have extra ventilation.

You could mill it off except for a few slots in the front and rear.  Then you could still attach something, and still probably have good strength.
View Quote
OOH!  Thank you....that is good to know!!!!

I almost picked up one a couple of minutes ago....but just couldn't pull the trigger quite yet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I just called keltec. The dude said that they're not selling the rdp-s handguards anymore because so many people were returning them.

He said they won't fit a standard rdb. So how's the fit really?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#34]
It fits with precision.  It just seems they either don't have any, or don't want to sell them for some reason.

I just assume they don't make enough extra to sell them individually.  I'm not sure why they are still claiming it won't fit.  I know at least one person there knows it will.

My video- not sure if I posted here before:

https://youtu.be/Kz27dg9KNus
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I called and was able to purchase the RDB-C handguard. Fits like a glove. Thanks @Dustyattic !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Very nice! I'm really glad to see that.

Thank you for confirming that all 3 types will fit on the standard RDB!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I called and was able to purchase the RDB-C handguard. Fits like a glove. Thanks @Dustyattic !

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206592/72C4C238-87C9-41F4-941E-76FE4DEE0134_jpeg-760694.JPG
View Quote
DudE!  That's hot!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Also got the magwell, which helps with reload times. Only thing is that the magwells are 3D printed and the finish is pretty rough on top. A bit of sandpaper did the trick to smooth it out though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I randomly stumbled across Mac's video on this Rifle and it peaked my curiosity. Searching around I found a video from last year that KT posted giving a preview of the "RDB Tactical" with a really slick MLOK rail and a few other non standard features as pictured below.

Is this model available?

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I called in and purchased a black RDB-S handguard but they wanted $110 shipped for it.

I asked several times if it was indeed the RDB-S handguard with no rail and the lady confirmed twice.

Kind of wondering if I got the right thing or not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Starting to come together; if I can get ahold of one of those little survival handguards (and not for 100$, LOL) I think I'll be just about there

The skinny Faxon flash-hider really makes the front end look fat as hell , but it is like half the weight/size of the original.  Putting the 1X prism back on top in lieu of the 2.5X (which acquitted itself wonderfully out to ~250yds so far) also helped the weight a bit.  I really need to find a better sling solution; the factory clip thing is really tearing up the plastic/metal at the attachment loop.  The only real wear on the gun at this point

I think I'll ultimately turn a 'lock nut' thing that works like a Cherry Bomb mount, or something low profile like that.  Probably turn down the shoulder on the barrel, too (it's way bigger than needed...which it's not, because of the lock-nut).  It's nice not needing a brake because you can control the gas system properly & have plenty of travel to soak up the bolt velocity
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I really need to find a better sling solution; the factory clip thing is really tearing up the plastic/metal at the attachment loop.  The only real wear on the gun at this point
View Quote
https://www.blueforcegear.com/molded-uwl

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top