Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 7:36:34 PM EDT
Which would you Buy?

I know some of U's have both.

I'm think about parts and availability?

thinking about HD for it.

I have an MSAR E4 with FNH barrel. I'm afraid to shoot it.

Neva bin dun be fo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an AUG guy after getting to shoot a few examples of each. I much prefer the ergonomics of the AUG over the SAR and X-95, and it balances better in my hands.

For parts and all that, AUG guys have Pete Athens to help source out any and all parts they need. I haven't heard of anyone outside of IWI themselves pulling that off for the Tavor series of rifles yet.

For HD, they should both work just fine. Proven rifles and all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm an AUG guy after getting to shoot a few examples of each. I much prefer the ergonomics of the AUG over the SAR and X-95, and it balances better in my hands.

For parts and all that, AUG guys have Pete Athens to help source out any and all parts they need. I haven't heard of anyone outside of IWI themselves pulling that off for the Tavor series of rifles yet.

For HD, they should both work just fine. Proven rifles and all.
View Quote
Yes, Pete has been around this a while. Thanks for reminding me of him.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both (AUG A3 and Tavor SAR) and have shot both at our local shoot and move rifle match.

My take on the two rifles is that both have advantages and disadvantages.

The Tavor is very carefully designed to be simpler than an AK while being very fast to reload. With practice it's the fastest rifle to reload I've shot. The controls are big and chunky yet aren't easy to accidentally activate. It's also completely configurable to LH work if needed.

The downside is that changing things like barrels or calibers is a armorer level task. You remove loktited screws and need tools. If this isn't something that you plan on doing it won't be a problem.

The AUG is the universal rifle. It allows barrel swaps in seconds to change roles and a LH to RH or caliber change by field stripping and reassembly with the right components.

That flexibility comes at the cost of complexity. The AUG has more parts and is a more complex design. OTOH, more parts of the AUG are user serviceable and don't require any tools.

Both are well built rifles that will outlast the owner.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
As has been said above, both are great rifles but different rifles. I also have an MSAR and have shot it several times.

PM inbound OP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Aug, parts are expensive but they are there. Recently got more aftermarket offerings.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
AUG
I'm really looking forward to the F90. Buy that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate to admit it, but the X95 is the better gun.  Better safety, better mag release, much better ability to mount lights, longer rail for optics, takes standard AR mags unless you get an AUG with the NATO stock, and most of all Geisselle trigger and Lightning Bow.

I really wanted to like the AUG over the X95, but after shooting both, I have to admit it’s no longer the king of the bullpups. The one thing I do like about the A3 AUG over the X95 is it’s much more svelte design plus it’s just such an iconic rifle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to make the choice last year and ended up buying an AUG
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate to admit it, but the X95 is the better gun.  Better safety, better mag release, much better ability to mount lights, longer rail for optics, takes standard AR mags unless you get an AUG with the NATO stock, and most of all Geisselle trigger and Lightning Bow.

I really wanted to like the AUG over the X95, but after shooting both, I have to admit it's no longer the king of the bullpups. The one thing I do like about the A3 AUG over the X95 is it's much more svelte design plus it's just such an iconic rifle.
View Quote
man, those sound awesome.  do they make the X95 able to shoot better than an AUG with a stock trigger pack?  I'm serious.  I don't recall seeing anyone post before/after pics of X95 groups w/trigger upgrades installed

MEN M193

RUAG HC (SS109)

GECO .223

ADI 69gr SMK

AUG-A1, 1.5x
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm seriously considering getting the RATWORX upgrades for my MSAR and shooting it some.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering getting the RATWORX upgrades for my MSAR and shooting it some.
View Quote
No offense but shoot the damn thing what’s the point of having it if you want shoot it? I doubt MSARs will be considered a valuable collectible we’ll probably ever. go see if you like it before throwing more $$$ at it .

Then if you hate it money saved sell it and use that towards what you want.

As for AUG / Tavor debate. It’s pretty personal preference. Both are fine rifles adopted by multiple countries across the globe. Both work. Some different design philosophies on them as has been pointed out but at the end of the day both work. If you can I’d shoot both. Personally I own 2 tavors I like the ergos better. But I still would like a AUG someday to compliment it and I love the engineering on the AUG. If only an evil genius would hybridize the two lol.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Sell the MSAR unfired & put the $$$ into a AUG
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Just to add to my opinion above: shoot both if you can. The AUG just fits me better and I shoot it better because I’m just more comfortable shooting it. The Tavor never just feels quite as good.

AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top