Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2018 2:59:02 AM EDT
Looking to get a bullpup. Already own a KSG and love it. Walked into the local gun shop and they had a PS90 on the shelf. Never handled one before. After holding it I was very much intrigued!

Been looking at Kal-Tec RDB, Tavor x95, and now the PS90.

What do you all think of the PS90? What about compared to the x95 and RDB. Not so much interested in 5.7 vs 225/5.56. More looking for all the other aspects.

- Looking for a fun range gun
- Looking for a home defense weapon
- Looking for a car gun
- Looking for something light weight, compact, etc
- Looking for something my wife will fall in love with and "need to get her own" LOL
- Would rather spend less money then more

Here is a really general run down of kind of the pro's and cons.

--RDB--
P: Great price, at around $1,000
P: Downward ejecting (I'm left handed)
P: Suppress really good I've heard
P: Uses standard 223/5.56 ammo
C: Kind of ugly hand guard, but it can be swapped out

--X95--
P: Looks pretty awesome
P: Maybe I'm just weird, but I like that its an Israeli firearm.
P: Uses standard 223/5.56 ammo
C: Kind of spend at $1,700 ish
C: Gas in face?
C: Brass in face? (I'm left handed)

--PS90--
P: Ok price at $1,400
P: Downward ejecting (I'm left handed)
P: Looks pretty awesome
P: Love the SBR look, even the 16" is not bad. SG-1 baby!!!
P: Very compact, Light weight, comfortable to hold
P: 50rds of ammo at about 1lb is pretty nice. Especially vs 30rd 5.56 at 1lb+
P: Caliber, better then 9mm, still pretty deadly, but not as much over penetration as 223
C: 5.7x28 is adding an additional caliber to my collection
C: Ammo cots more then cheap 223

What say you???????
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the x95 has an ambi ejection port, though don’t quote me on this.

ETA personally I would get a Tavor (unless you really want to stock another caliber, plus you can use your existing mags) I want one myself and I’ve seen them go for the 1400 range in the EE here

Asthetically I think the x95 is more pleasing, not a fan of how far the barrel sticks out on a ps90, though SBR’d ones are sexy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
what is EE?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what is EE?
View Quote
EE = equipment exchange, the buy / sell / trade section of the site here
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Non-SBRed PS90s are ghey. Get a left hand X95! Yes, they sell them that way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
For your stated purposes the PS90 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't the answer here, always, yes??
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
1) Get the PS90
2) Get the aluminum Gen1/2 hammer for the better trigger pull and longer life.
3) SBR that SOB
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got a ps90 as a fun gun. Ammo is really the Achilles heel of this firearm. It's expensive, and apparently made in runs so you have to jump on it when it's available otherwise availability goes down and price goes up. That's where we are right now and I'm waiting and hoping that when another run comes through I'll be able to stock up at relatively cheap prices. I've also been considering reloading, but it does seem that this is a fairly delicate and time intensive cartridge to reload.

In terms of the actual ballistic effectiveness of the cartridge there is a great deal of debate. There are some that say it's a glorified 22 Magnum, and others say that it is a cartridge in between pistol and rifle power in that it can penetrate some soft body armor. However to get the penetration you need to be using specialty expensive ammunition. The cheap stuff might penetrate level 2 but to get a consistent penetration on level 3A you need the really expensive specialty stuff. And if penetration is what you are looking for overall it is possible to get and reload 9mm that will do the same thing.

Overall it's a really fun gun. I've only run about a hundred rounds through it based on the above mentioned ammo availability issues. I didn't purchase this as a specific used tool but more as a fun gun. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any situation where a PCC would be useful. The compact size, light weight and high magazine capacity are all nice. Eventually I'm going to SBR this because that's the whole reason I got it.

If you're looking for a good bullpup rifle the X95, Aug, or RDB might be a better choice as these are chambered in actual rifle calibers. If you're looking for a lightweight, light recoiling, pistol caliber bullpup then the ps90 would be fine. Just be aware that ammunition is both expensive and rare at times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
View Quote
"and longer life."  <------ Explain please?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at a PS90 as well had one for $1000 with case,  used. Ammo though is what gets me because I like to shoot a lot and they are opening a range 6 miles from my house.
The RDB can be switched to left hand when you first take it apart to clean, lube and inspect it. It shoots very well suppressed with it's adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The ps90 is pretty neat and would make an awesome range toy. If I were considering one, ammo availability and costs would weigh heavily on my descision to buy it.
If you are going to stamp it and turn it into an SBR..definitely get it.  (I've never shot one, or even seen one in use)

As for the X-95 the cons you mention are easily remedied and you can get a left handed model straight from the factory. Midwest Industries makes a few parts for them, one of them is a plate that replaces the polymer ejector port cover which seems to leak gasses into peoples face when suppressed.  The price: you will spend $$ but if you take into account ammo costs and accesories like magazines you might just end up saving some money.
The X-95 is a solid and kind of chunky feeling, nothing rattles or feels “cheap” about it, mine has been excellent so far.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Does it matter what ammo ps90 uses? Federal has some for 35/rd ish when its available. Any problem with using both FN and federal ammo with a ps90?

Yes i would sbr the ps90.

In good arf fashion i should buy them all. Lol which i will probably do eventually. I just dont want to plop down 4k on guns right now .

Cant the x95 be changed back and fourth between left and right at will? Any left handed people shoot the x95 right handed?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does it matter what ammo ps90 uses? Federal has some for 35/rd ish when its available. Any problem with using both FN and federal ammo with a ps90?

Yes i would sbr the ps90.

In good arf fashion i should buy them all. Lol which i will probably do eventually. I just dont want to plop down 4k on guns right now .

Cant the x95 be changed back and fourth between left and right at will? Any left handed people shoot the x95 right handed?
View Quote
You can change it back and fourth but it’s not something you’d do say mid mag. You have to change the bolt out and move the port cover from one side to the other. If you want to change the charging handle you need to pop off the fore end. You will have to send it in to get the opposite side ejection bolt from IWI they won’t sell you one without checking the new bolts headspace from what I understand. I haven’t bothered shooting mine weakside since I’ve just had fun plinking it nothing serious but it has a shell deflector so in a pinch for temporary heat of the moment shoulder changes at worst you should just get a little bop on the face from a ejected casing. Or you could use the AUG cup hand technique if need be.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
What is better for a PS90 SBR...

Have some one cut down a stock SP90 Barrel?
or get a CMMG barrel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would definitely have Mark McWillis of TROS cut down the factory barrel.
View Quote
Yep, what he said.  My original FN barrel was freakishly accurate so I wanted to stick with that, TROS did a killer job.  He has now done three thread/adapter jobs (two SMG 22 conversions and the PS90 barrel) for me over the years and all were impeccable.  Functioned EXACTLY as it did originally (barrel still is able to rotate as designed w/o resistance), no baffle strikes and the accuracy remained unchanged.  He does take forever and communication can be spotty, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I say HOLD ONE!

It might "look" cool, but until you've felt how the whole thing feels in your hands, you can never truly guarantee that you will enjoy playing with that toy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
If they had a factory SBR PS90 I'd consider it.  16" barrel just ruins the look.  Well that and the whole issue of finding full pressure ammo loads.

If you ever visit a PS90-only board, the posters just obsess over the types of ammo, finding ammo, gel tests of various ammo, etc.  You don't want to be that guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]
- Looking for a fun range gun
- Looking for a home defense weapon
- Looking for a car gun
- Looking for something light weight, compact, etc
- Looking for something my wife will fall in love with and "need to get her own" LOL

PS90 to all of that. I never owned a Kel tec and never will. I have owned an X95 and sold it after it sat for over a year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#24]
PS90s are definitely fun to shoot, they are pretty quite also. I miss mine.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#25]
That's cool looking. :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]
My form 4 is approved. I need to pick mine up soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1) Get the PS90
3) SBR that SOB
Quoted:"and longer life."  <------ Explain please?
Quoted:That I don’t get!
Better trigger pull, yes. Longer life, I sincerely doubt it as a stock trigger pack is good for north of 80,000 rounds.
Quoted:"and longer life."  <------ Explain please?
I was somewhat at a loss for what to say about why one may want to get a Gen1/Gen2 trigger for a PS90 but I'm sure you remember what the First Rule of Fight Club is, right?
There are some things you don't talk about in regard to the PS90 and Gen1/Gen2 hammers.  Let's just leave it at that.  It won't do anything evil if you don't do anything dumb. If you really want to do something dumb then just file off the tip of the firing pin and 'git some'.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone explain the SBR process that's actually done it?

I think this is the process if I do it myself????
1) drill the shroud & tap out the pin
2) take off the shroud
3) detach the barrel
4) buy a cmmg barrel or send the stock barrel off to be cut
5) install the barrel

Anyone know the pro's and cons of getting a cmmg barrel vs getting trosusa or some one else to chop it?

Is there any advantage to a cmmg barrel over the stock barrel or vis versa?

Are there any extra expenses or hidden things I should know about ahead of time before doing that whole process?

Drilling the shroud will obviously destroy it. I don't ever see my self selling the gun. But is there any reason I would need to keep the stock barrel and shroud?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone explain the SBR process that's actually done it?

I think this is the process if I do it myself????
1) drill the shroud & tap out the pin
2) take off the shroud
3) detach the barrel
4) buy a cmmg barrel or send the stock barrel off to be cut
5) install the barrel

Anyone know the pro's and cons of getting a cmmg barrel vs getting trosusa or some one else to chop it?

Is there any advantage to a cmmg barrel over the stock barrel or vis versa?

Are there any extra expenses or hidden things I should know about ahead of time before doing that whole process?

Drilling the shroud will obviously destroy it. I don't ever see my self selling the gun. But is there any reason I would need to keep the stock barrel and shroud?
View Quote
I finished my PS90 SBR early this year and can answer some of your questions.

You can drill and tap out the pin and remove the stock shroud but in my case I was sending the stock FN barrel out to have it cut/threaded, so I took a portable band saw and cut the barrel flush behind the pin. I then removed the leftover shroud and barrel from the receiver. I had no intentions of trying to save the stock shroud. I sent my barrel to Class III Machining (eastTXhunter here on ARFCOM, he does excellent work) and had the barrel cut to the stock P90 length (10.39" IIRC) and threaded M12x1.0 LH (this is the factory FN thread pitch). I purchased the CMMG thread adapter which you will need because the finished barrel threads into this adapter like a nut. The adapter is also threaded 1/2x28 so you can attach your favorite muzzle device. In my case I mounted an AAC brake for use with an M4-2000 suppressor. Alternatively, you can buy the stock P90 flash hider/adapter from Midwest Gun Works if you want to keep the factory P90 look.

So for extra cost items the only thing I can think of would be the CMMG thread adapter (was around 50-60$?) or the P90 thread adapter/flash hider and I also bought a 15mm open end wrench and ground the wrench down to fit the chamber end of the barrel. The barrel has 2 flats on the chamber end that you put a wrench on to remove the barrel from the shroud (if you save the shroud) and to tighten it into the adapter. There isn't a whole lot of room between the flats and the receiver so I just ground the wrench down until it fit.

As for the barrel you can definitely use the CMMG barrel but I wanted to reuse the original FN barrel. It was a fun project and quite happy with the end result. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the really great info! It appears that once you start the SBR process there is no going back. You would have to keep the stock barrel and try and use the old shroud (with a hole in it). I cant find factory shrouds anywhere.

Have few basic questions. Thanks for your time!

- What is the Class III Machining website?

- How much did Class III Machining charge?

- What reason did you have for going with Class III Machining instead of trosusa.com?

- Did you use some sort of barrel block to hold the barrel while you were taking it all apart?
Like the one pictured in this thread.
https://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12

- cmmg Thread Adapter, PS90
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/thread-adapter-ps90/
So the barrel attached to the receiver, then you can optionally attach the cmmg thread adapter to give it a 1/2"-28 thread for suppressors?

OR

- cmmg Flash Hider, FNH P90 Style, M12 x 1 LH
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/flash-hider-fnh-p90-style-m12-x-1-lh/
Use this instead of of the cmmg thread adapter. The cmmg flash hider would attach directly to the barrel? It does not attach to the thread adapter right?

- So its either use the thread adapter or the flash hider (for the stock p90 look)?

- Something like this FNH PS90 flash hider would just be an alternative to the cmmg flash hider?
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F811650030

- Is there a certain poundage you need to tighten the barrel to?

- Using the stock barrel might be a little cheaper then buying a cmmg barrel. But then your gun will never be going back to the full length gun. Everything I have read said that both the cmmg barrel the the chopped FN factory barrel work good. So no real advantage either way there other then it might be cheaper to chop the factory barrel. And it would be hard to get a new factory barrel / shroud.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Seconding TROS as a barrel chop.

Once your form 1 is approved, hacksaw off the shroud and send it in! (I did mine in my bathroom)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Seconding TROS as a barrel chop.

Once your form 1 is approved, hacksaw off the shroud and send it in! (I did mine in my bathroom)
View Quote

lol nothing like hacksawing a ps90 barrel in the bathroom!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the really great info! It appears that once you start the SBR process there is no going back. You would have to keep the stock barrel and try and use the old shroud (with a hole in it). I cant find factory shrouds anywhere.

Have few basic questions. Thanks for your time!

*snip*
View Quote
I was charged $75.00 for the work at the time, which was a great deal. He cuts the barrel to the P90 length, threads it 12mmx1.0 LH, and crowns it.

I went with Class III Machining (http://www.class3machining.com) because he is an industry partner here and he had done 3 or 4 thread jobs for me at this point that I was happy with. His turn around time is also very quick. I shipped it out and had it back in less than a week. He also has done a bunch of PS90 barrels and he does threading jobs for other companies/shops as well as machines a bunch of different muzzle devices for other companies. Check out his website and his thread here on ARFCOM in the Services and Customization section of the EE. He posts lots of photographs all his work, including PS90 barrels that he has done. I have no financial interest with C3 Machining and I don’t get anything for free. I am only explaining my positive experiences with his shop with nothing in return. He has many happy customers here.

I wrapped my vise in a microfiber towel and clamped the receiver in the vise. No marks or scratches were made on the receiver while taking the barrel/shroud out or installing the new barrel.

The barrel doesn’t really attach to the receiver. It sits inside the receiver and “free floats” if you will. There should be some forward and backward play in the barrel when installed, and some side to side play (it slightly turns) – this is normal. The barrel actually acts as a bolt and screws into the muzzle device which acts as a nut, and they tighten together. Hard to explain but you will see what I mean when you remove yours or check Youtube as I believe there is a video on there. I went with the CMMG adapter so I could attach a 1/2x28 muzzle device.

The second device you listed works the same as the first device, it’s just a flash hider instead of a threaded portion. Same with the third device, which is an updated/more modern P90 flash hider. Makes no difference which you choose, it’s personal preference. If you ever want to add a can to the gun, go with the first 1/2x28 threaded adapter.

The P90 armorer’s manual calls for 40-50 Nm for torque on the barrel/barrel nut. They also have a special tool which performs this. I didn’t have this special tool so I tightened the barrel to where I felt it was close to 40-50 Nm. If you wanted to make sure it was properly torqued, you could buy a 15mm crows’ foot and use a torque wrench on it that way but I didn’t bother. As long as the barrel is sufficiently tight and still has a little play as mentioned before you will be good to go.

If you decide to SBR the PS90, it’s a pretty firm decision. If you think you may sell it down the road then I wouldn’t bother going through the hassle especially since you will need to engrave the receiver with your information. But since I plan to keep mine forever I didn’t have any concern for the stock shroud so I disposed of it. I also wanted to retain the original FN chrome lined barrel. Sending it to C3 Machining was the best option for me.

It's a very cool toy. My advice is definitely to SBR it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I was getting ready to post a thread about sbr'ing my ps90 and all my questions were pretty mu h answered in this thread. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Extremely helpful information. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Love mine

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#37]
If you plan on making it an SBR, a ps90 is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Since you mentioned defensive use, my local SO SWAT used to use the P90. After some lead-on-meat deployments, they binned them in favor of 5.56.

As a range toy, that means nothing. But for social purposes, I’m going with the deputy who gave me the background on the change.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Yea, the 6mm spherical projectiles just bounce right off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry, didn’t see your post.

Seminole County, Florida.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing brings out the BS like a discussion on pistol caliber effectiveness, especially when speaking about the 5.7x28. Being that this is a technical forum and all, I would encourage some evidence be provided to back up such claims. I do know that I would not want to get hit by a burst of 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nothing brings out the BS like a discussion on pistol caliber effectiveness, especially when speaking about the 5.7x28. Being that this is a technical forum and all, I would encourage some evidence be provided to back up such claims. I do know that I would not want to get hit by a burst of 5.7x28.
View Quote
I wouldn’t want to get hit with a burst of .22LR either.

At the end of the day, pistol, rifle, shotgun, the upshot is the same. Shoot until the threat stops. Could be 1 round, could be a bunch of rounds. So many factors go into terminal effect on a human target including shot placement, physiological state of the person, etc that these caliber wars become more of a mental masturbation exercise than anything useful.

I made my comment based on the fact that someone whose knowledge and experience I respect, who has actual first hand experience with the weapons system under discussion, related that info to me.  People can take or leave it as they choose.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#45]
This caliber and rifle were made by FN specifically for support crew in the rear.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#47]
10-4
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Great gun, FO immediately.

My wife has confiscated my SBR  and named it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top