Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 10:01:00 PM EDT
I'm going to try this out since my RDS is just a comma shaped red thing..
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have an astigmatism, the RMR will be the same way. Even worse if it's a bigger dot. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Will I have to aim at a point beyond the 50 feet to my back fence for it to get all squiggly?

Oh well, I already had the RMR so no money gone lately.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe with the RMR there are two different models, one that uses an LED dot and the other that uses the tritium.

I've never looked through one of the battery powered models but I had one with tritium and astigmatism didn't affect the appearance. If that's what you have you should be fine. Or not...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks CJ.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
maleante, I have the battery-free model, if that helps.

If I can get back home I will pull out an RDS and check it out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
maleante, I have the battery-free model, if that helps.
View Quote
If it works like an Acog, you should be good! I have an astigmatism and it affects all common red dots like T1, rds, Deltapoint, etc. I just recently got 2 optics with 8 moa dots and they're even worse. They're so bad, I thought the sights were bad until I took pics of the dots with a camera and the dots are perfect.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a reflex red dot/triangle. I hope to get to the range on Friday if it isn't flooded. I will test them both and report back.

I'm stuck though, all cash goes to UH right now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If it works like an Acog, you should be good! I have an astigmatism and it affects all common red dots like T1, rds, Deltapoint, etc. I just recently got 2 optics with 8 moa dots and they're even worse. They're so bad, I thought the sights were bad until I took pics of the dots with a camera and the dots are perfect.
View Quote
Same thing happened to me a while back when I bought one of the first EOTECHs.  I use Aimpoints instead, kind of blurry dot without my glasses but doable in an emergency.  Use my glasses at the range so no issue.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For people with astigmatism, there are only a few options
1) You could wear prescription shooting glasses to correct the astigmatism
Then you can use any red dot
2) You can look through a pinhole at the dot
(Usually that means the small aperture of back up iron sights)
So you have to install an iron peep site between your eye and the red dot
3) Or you can use prism style red dot sights
These have an adjustable ocular eyepiece that you set to correct your astigmatism
They do not offer unlimited eyes relief, so it has to be 3 inches in front of your Eye
4)you can use magnified optics that have an adjustable ocular eyepiece
5)You can have LASIK surgery
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For people with astigmatism, there are only a few options
1) You could wear prescription shooting glasses to correct the astigmatism
Then you can use any red dot
2) You can look through a pinhole at the dot
(Usually that means the small aperture of back up iron sights)
So you have to install an iron peep site between your eye and the red dot
3) Or you can use prism style red dot sights
These have an adjustable ocular eyepiece that you set to correct your astigmatism
They do not offer unlimited eyes relief, so it has to be 3 inches in front of your Eye
4)you can use magnified optics that have an adjustable ocular eyepiece
5)You can have LASIK surgery
View Quote
Thanks for the above! Questions and comments:
1) Would glasses fix the astigmatism at all viewing angles? Like head tipped down looking thru the top edges of the glasses?
2) I don't like this idea as it defeats the ability to view the dot anywhere in the window, one of their main advantages.
3) How does one identify these? Can you give some examples?
4) Does this mean a typical scope?
5) This is my preference and I hope to get it when finances allow. I don't even know how expensive it is.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My RMR works great, no sqiggleys. It's the battery free model.

I guess I will putting up my rd sights up for sale soon.

A few posts up someone said if your vision is corrected you should have no troubles but my vision is corrected and I get squiggles at 50 yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top