Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No one will respond to my post above asking what gen my E4's are but still interested.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one will respond to my post above asking what gen my E4's are but still interested.
View Quote
If it was produced after 2011, then it is most likely the final iteration of the stock.  Look at the holes where the 1913 rails would attack directly to the stock; if they have what look like coils imbedded in the stock then it is an original E4 stock.  If, on the other hand, they look like threaded metal lined holes (no plastic showing), and the stock has a pronounced lip running around where the left and right side are joined, then it is a last generation stock.

These are pictures of grip portion of a last generation E4 stock; note the pronounced seam line where the two halves are joined...MSAR claimed this was because "customers wanted it" and that it "made a better product", but the truth is that Steyr and Thales have been sanding the seam for decades and never had a problem - MSAR was just plain too cheap and too lazy to finish the stock properly.

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Late to the party but I'm definitely down for one and any other upgrades Manticore can push out
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in for 1 also....
Haven't had any problem......yet...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If it was produced after 2011, then it is most likely the final iteration of the stock.  Look at the holes where the 1913 rails would attack directly to the stock; if they have what look like coils imbedded in the stock then it is an original E4 stock.  If, on the other hand, they look like threaded metal lined holes (no plastic showing), and the stock has a pronounced lip running around where the left and right side are joined, then it is a last generation stock.

These are pictures of grip portion of a last generation E4 stock; note the pronounced seam line where the two halves are joined...MSAR claimed this was because "customers wanted it" and that it "made a better product", but the truth is that Steyr and Thales have been sanding the seam for decades and never had a problem - MSAR was just plain too cheap and too lazy to finish the stock properly.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa467/kfeltenberger/th_Grip-Front.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa467/kfeltenberger/th_Grip-Rear.jpg
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am looking for one too.
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I need 2 if these happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Any updates on when or if these are going to be made?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sevn,

Sorry if I came across as having a tone - that was not my intent. Thanks for at least considering this project.

rw66
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I hadn't heard of the deficiency in the mag catch until now.  On mine, the catch itself which interacts with the magazine is metal, but the release is plastic.  So the plastic release eventually breaks?

It is held in by a special Microtech screw.  They are available online.  Here, if actual stock is correct:

Switchbladekits.com
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have 2 E4's.

I don't need them now, but if available I'll take them because of this. ^^^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in for one too-same situation as OP-except I didn't think my was bad, till it went bad.
I have 2 E4's.

I don't need them now, but if available I'll take them because of this. ^^^^^
I'll need one since I have an msar mag stock and an ar mag stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hadn't heard of the deficiency in the mag catch until now.  On mine, the catch itself which interacts with the magazine is metal, but the release is plastic.  So the plastic release eventually breaks?

It is held in by a special Microtech screw.  They are available online.  Here, if actual stock is correct:

Switchbladekits.com
View Quote
No, the catch for the magazine warps between the pivot point and the catch area. The magazine then becomes nearly impossible to remove as even with the lock in the fully back/released position the locking surface will still be protruding in to the side of the magazine. The one on mine was replaced, so it went from can't remove the magazine to sheering off magazine lips and gouging cases because the catch is too long.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just waiting on the tool I ordered to show up so I can remove the ridiculous MSAR screw and start getting dimensions...
View Quote
Awww come on, you could just save a week and mill one.

1.2mm od post, at a 2.625mm center to center spacing in an equilateral triangle configuration. With the dome on the head of the screw 2.0mm seems to be long enough to get a reasonable amount of contact.....
I may have 3D printed one for a test fitting and just hadn't found time to sneak one in a mill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
any update on the mag fix?

@Manticore_Arms

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d need one as well, hoping a company can make short run on them
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If it helps I'll buy one to support the project.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Since this issue has not be resolved yet, I will try fix it myself.

The microtech Knife screw bits might works getting that 3 dot screw out. Here’s the rough dimensions of the diameter and distance between holes. Is everyone’s E4 screw similar dimensions? I may speak to a machinist about making the parts. It would be good to have pictures of the SS version, of anyonr one has them. If I was get these parts machined. It wouldnt be cheap though, so I would get just one big batch done if anyone else wants some, and post the schematics of the part for any other victims in the future with this issue in their rifle.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my E4 out after several years in the safe and low and behold a mag got stuck.  took some finesse to get it out but I'm now in for one please!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody have a pic of the new mag catch or the mag catch itself?

I have a friend that worked at MSAR and now owns his on machine shop that could possibly make them if Sven doesn't have time to do them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates on this?  I just sent a message to Manitcore asking for a place on the list for one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#25]
For $6 it is worth a try
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would be in for 2 as spares
View Quote
me too
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How many people are looking for these?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I have two E4's and shoot them both.  One has the metal mag catch and one has the original plastic catch.  The plastic one is still going strong but if I can purchase a metal one I would just to have it when I really need it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Count me in.  Currently have a magazine stuck.  What a pain in the ass.  The release does not even engage.  Otherwise, i am impressed with the E4 stock.  It has some solid design elements that are a major improvement over the AUG NATO stock.  How did MSAR go so far as to build a whole gun and then screw such small elements like the magazine release?  I do not understand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I found I could slide an ID card up the side of the magazine where the catch is located.  Dislodged the magazine a few times for me
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I need a new one and would like to order a spare.

I have been in contact with Wendel at Microtech, but have yet to get a mag catch from them even though they claim to have a bunch of them on hand but they aren't allowed to ship them.  Frustrating to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I finally gave up and decided to try and fit a NATO AUG stock to my E4.

There is a guy named Nick at Promoted Pawn, LLC that makes small parts for the MSAR.  We emailed back and forth for a few, but he says he made a batch of the new mag catches in both aluminum and reinforced polymer.  You might want to reach out to him to see if he has them ready for sale.

http://www.promotedpawn.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Promoted Pawn is a name I haven't heard for a bunch of years.

Hope you guys can get mag catches working for you. MSAR left you all in a bad state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone figured out yet what type of "spanner" wrench will get these two hole screws out?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK, looks like there are enough guys to justify doing a short run of them.

I gotta get finished up with some other more pressing projects (i.e. the stuff that pays the bills, LOL)  and then I can tackle this.  Hang tight guys, we will get to it as soon as we can to help get those NATO E4 stocks back in action

Sven

Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Manticore_Arms
would be interested in a fix for the mag issue on an MSAR rifle-
OK, looks like there are enough guys to justify doing a short run of them.

I gotta get finished up with some other more pressing projects (i.e. the stuff that pays the bills, LOL)  and then I can tackle this.  Hang tight guys, we will get to it as soon as we can to help get those NATO E4 stocks back in action

Sven

Manticore Arms
I'll take any upgrades for the E4.  Put me 9n a notification list please.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Please put me down on the list for any upgrades.

Can anyone ID my MSAR?  I got it in 2009, I think.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Got a mag release from promoted pawn today.  Obviously can't say if it will last long term, but seems very well made. I can actually use metal and msar e4 mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally gave up and decided to try and fit a NATO AUG stock to my E4.

There is a guy named Nick at Promoted Pawn, LLC that makes small parts for the MSAR.  We emailed back and forth for a few, but he says he made a batch of the new mag catches in both aluminum and reinforced polymer.  You might want to reach out to him to see if he has them ready for sale.

http://www.promotedpawn.com/
View Quote
I ordered one from Nick too today- when it gets in what kind of tool is needs- some kind of spanner wrench-and would this by normally available in a well stocked and competent gunsmith's work bench?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I need this part too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Promoted Pawn dose have a "Prototype E4 Mag Release" listed on their site now. But they are 3D printed, which should work.
http://www.promotedpawn.com/msarparts/e4-mag-release-prototype

Personally I am going to keep working on this project on my own. The one I took out is harden steel, and I don't like the idea or the rough 3d printed texture on bearing surfaces.
Recently I got around to building a custom bit to get the proprietary bolt out. Now I will see about getting some CAD made of the catch some time.

Edit: Replaced image with a smaller version of the same image, as the original was huge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the cad pretty well worked out, and have 3d Printed some test pieces to ensure they function. Image is from one of the first test prints.
That said my rifle had the brass case gouging issue and didn't have the issue before the magazine latch was replaced under the recall.
I am assuming the metal catch they put in is out of spec, and my guess is it would have the same issue in other peoples rifles.
Thus I am playing with the latch catch height attempting to get a consistent cartridge pick up and minimal gouging on the side wall of the next case in the process.
After I get that worked out I will probably get around to machining a metal one, but it is going to be a pain. I foresee some custom fixtures and bad words in the future for machining this.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm looking for two, for my two MSARs as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I just checked my stocks: stanag stock has the three hole screw but it looks like a piece of metal holding the mag on the side but my E4 stock has the plastic piece that holds the MSAR mag at the back and is held in place by an Allen headed bolt.

Anyone else have this?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top