Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 2:50:47 PM EDT
While I'm waiting for things to sell and such, I figured I might as well use the extra time to think of an optic and suggestions.

Which optic should I look at? Red dots are a no go, my eyes can't use them. Already looking into an ACOG or Browe Sport Optic, but are there others I should look into? I don't mind variables, just prefer to not have a lot to mess with. Budget is $600-$1,200 by the time I get around to getting another optic.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The ACOG TA44 is essentially a modernized version of the original AUG optic - 1.5x bright green donut of death reticle. Works perfectly at close range, while the 1.5 magnification makes 300 yard targets appear to be 200 yards away. That would be my suggestion if your are going with a fixed power setting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Got an ACOG TA31F-G on my Aug. Love it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ACOG TA44 is essentially a modernized version of the original AUG optic - 1.5x bright green donut of death reticle. Works perfectly at close range, while the 1.5 magnification makes 300 yard targets appear to be 200 yards away. That would be my suggestion if your are going with a fixed power setting.
View Quote
I was aiming to keep magnification at a minimum of 3. I'm not necessarily saying I'm not open to a variable, just prefer to not have extra stuff to mess with. The reason I was looking into an ACOG or the BSO is just not having to open any battery compartment.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I went for the 1-4 powered scope.

The 1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 scopes weren't on the market at the time when got the scope.

If I had the opportunity to switch out, the 1-6 would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have the A3 M1, the factory scopes are decent. I have both the 1.5x and 3x, both are good scopes. The 1.5x is surprisingly effective for fast shooting at multiple targets, yet can still shoot 2-3 MOA at 100 yards without much trouble. I'm also a huge fan of the ACOG TA33GH, going to slap one on the AUG after I get around to buying Petes new rail.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Vortex 3x spitfire on mine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm kind of partial to the factory scope.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried the factory optic and couldn't really get into liking it too much, so I ended up getting the new rail from Pete. Since it gives enough room for both a set of BUIS and any kind of optic I'd want, I figured I'd ask this question to get a better idea of what would be better.

With the new rail, what would be the height over bore compared to that of an AR with an ACOG?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was aiming to keep magnification at a minimum of 3. I'm not necessarily saying I'm not open to a variable, just prefer to not have extra stuff to mess with. The reason I was looking into an ACOG or the BSO is just not having to open any battery compartment.
View Quote
Well if you want another option without going 1-4x, then the ACOG TA33 with the horseshoe reticle is an awesome choice. Nearly the same eye relief as the TA44 - I was verrry close to going with this.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33G-H

However from a pure versatility standpoint, the Trijicon T24G Accupoint is terrific, and you can find them on the forum for around $600-$700.

Whatever you choose, if it's a Trijicon, get it with the Green reticle, much more visible then the red or amber.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Apexgunparts has NIB h&k g36 hensoldt 3.5X scopes $359 they fit on picantinny rails. Was thinking about one for my mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well if you want another option without going 1-4x, then the ACOG TA33 with the horseshoe reticle is an awesome choice. Nearly the same eye relief as the TA44 - I was verrry close to going with this.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33G-H

However from a pure versatility standpoint, the Trijicon T24G Accupoint is terrific, and you can find them on the forum for around $600-$700.

Whatever you choose, if it's a Trijicon, get it with the Green reticle, much more visible then the red or amber.
View Quote
How's the TA11 vs TA33? I noticed that TA11 has a bit more magnification with the same eye relief on the specs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How's the TA11 vs TA33? I noticed that TA11 has a bit more magnification with the same eye relief on the specs.
View Quote
Trijicons eye relief specs are way low for the TA33 and TA44 - they both have super long eye relief.

Here is a fantastic article on the ACOGS.

http://www.firearmreviews.net/acog-comparison/

Just make sure you don't buy the ACOG TA31, which is the Marine's 4x model - very short eye relief.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apexgunparts has NIB h&k g36 hensoldt 3.5X scopes $359 they fit on picantinny rails. Was thinking about one for my mine.
View Quote
You may want to read up on them first. The tubes are tiny and the reviews are awful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I was curious if this was part of the previous bad production batch a few years ago that had spots or flaking on the glass. I have an old hensoldt z24 cammed in 5.56 for my fnc and its glass is clear and crisp.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#15]
They're $30 worth of glass in a $330 case. Granted this is the 1.5x tube... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1198930.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#16]
TA33
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Over the years I've found that the AUG shines as a 0-200 yard carbine, making me an Aimpoint and mini ACOG guy all day long. Using a 3 or 4x fixed power optic up close is slow (training be damned) as takes the brain a split second to register/combine peripheral vision with the magnified image. I can even tell quite a difference in short range acquisition between the TA44 and the T1. As long as you're willing to give up speed at closer distances, you can't go wrong with any ACOG, but most are left unimpressed with the amber models. It will boil down to your preferences. The eye relief issues of 4x ACOGs is grossly overstated. The only issue is if you demand to mount a rear BUIS behind the ACOG.

The biggest PITA with mounting anything on an M1 is that every damned rail offered is a different height, so one needs to take careful measurements, research a lot, dig for manufacturer specs, and hopefully find a way to mount the desired optic at the proper height. If you're getting the new Pete rail, then your height over comb would be about the same as an AR, which makes your life MUCH simpler for mounting optics, and you can simply choose your preferred AR mounting height.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, just need one more thing to sell and I'll be on the look out for a used ACOG. I'm still thinking between the TA33 and TA11 for some magnification.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, anyone with experience with the Browe Sport Optic? The way its mounted to the rifle doesn't really instill a lot of confidence to be honest, not sure if I'm being too paranoid about it or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
As a guy with a TA31, it honestly sounds like a TA44 or TA33 is what you are looking for. I would decide whether I was interested in a little bit farther shooting (TA33) or not (TA44). I love my TA31 but I think that it works much better in a DMR type role.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm kind of partial to the factory scope.
View Quote
I couldn't wait to get rid of my factory AUG scope.  Horrible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I use the Primary Arms 3x with ACSS reticle I really like it on my Aug A3.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm likely going to go with a compact ACOG, but I'm also considering the Aimpoint Comp M4S. I like the idea of the ACOG better because it never needs batteries, and you can get them with a BDC reticle. I think a 2x or 3x compact ACOG is the perfect optic for the AUG. It's compact, lightweight, and extremely rugged.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
One has a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4, one has the Steyr M1 1.5x, one will be getting a Vortex SPARC II.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up choosing a TA33 with red (favorite color) horseshoe. Didn't feel like waiting for a TA11 to pop up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:0
I ended up choosing a TA33 with red (favorite color) horseshoe. Didn't feel like waiting for a TA11 to pop up.
View Quote
Great choice

You will be surprised at how small and light the TA33 is. Yet it is bombproof and the glass quality is outstanding. You made the right choice.

On a 5.56 carbine, TA33>TA11.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I think a Elcan would look great on an AUG. Or a ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#28]
A while back when one of the attacks happened across the pond, there was a pic of some Police with the Augs having Leupold CQT. I tried one and really like the set up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got a 1.5 factory m1 scope for the AUG look , diehard till death !
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Removed most of the paint on the ACOG and just put on the AUG. Felt and looked so  great it got me wanting to put one on the Galil Ace too. Always figured I'd get an ACOG for a 5.56 rifle, but never once thought I'd want to get another one for a .308!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
My A2 has a 20-year old ACOG TA31F I use whenever I mount the Steyr 24" HBAR barrel.  I removed the factory bipod from the barrel because it really spoiled the shot and caused lots of vertical stringing when it wasn't deployed.  With it removed, it's capable of astonishing accuracy way out to even 600 yards using match ammo.  I had the ACOG dialed in for Swiss GP90 ammo but have now got it set up for a lot of Black Hills 77gr OTM I laid my hands on a few years back around the same time I picked up a 1x7 16" barrel from PJS.

My ACOG has a flashkill gizmo banded in front of the objective lens.  It does reduce light gathering a little around dusk but it's fine in normal daylight.  I can see a little honeycombing if I focus my eyes on it.

Otherwise, I like the factory Swarovski 1.5x power telescope my A2 came with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My A2 has a 20-year old ACOG TA31F I use whenever I mount the Steyr 24" HBAR barrel.  I removed the factory bipod from the barrel because it really spoiled the shot and caused lots of vertical stringing when it wasn't deployed.  With it removed, it's capable of astonishing accuracy way out to even 600 yards using match ammo.  I had the ACOG dialed in for Swiss GP90 ammo but have now got it set up for a lot of Black Hills 77gr OTM I laid my hands on a few years back around the same time I picked up a 1x7 16" barrel from PJS.

My ACOG has a flashkill gizmo banded in front of the objective lens.  It does reduce light gathering a little around dusk but it's fine in normal daylight.  I can see a little honeycombing if I focus my eyes on it.

Otherwise, I like the factory Swarovski 1.5x power telescope my A2 came with.
View Quote
Have you shot out to 600 yards with the 24" barrel and 77gr? I'm curious if the 1/9 twist stabalizes them out to that range.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
My 24" HBAR barrel is a 1x7 twist.  It's a vintage Steyr barrel, not one of the recently US-made 24" barrels.

Our range has swinging plate steel IPSC-type targets every 100 yards past 300, going out to 900 yards.  If you put the ACOG's 600m stadia line on the 600 yard target it'll ring them most every time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
So after sighting in and getting used to the 1.5 factory optic , I find that it performs very well. I was skeptical at first because there are no crosshairs for precise aiming but hitting a 6" steel gong at 200 yards is easy. Kind of like using a rifle with a front globe sight, just center your target in the circle and pull the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top