Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 11:07:01 PM EDT
So I been shooting ARs with acog's for years and love the optics. However I got a x95 awhile ago and decided to put a Ta31 on top of it with the factory mount. I have to jam my face down on top of it to get a full sight picture. Is the AR higher from the stock to the optic then the tavor? Should I try a riser or something else?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems like everything needs to be one size higher. Like my lower-third mounts cowitness the irons, and cowitness height mounts actually sit fairly low. This is with a Tavor but the height is the same as an X-95. Look at its stock relative to the rail, and then compare it to an AR and you'll note that the AR's rail sits higher.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The answer seems to be get a new top rail for the Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Midwest IND makes a short riser for the Tavor for $50.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not 100% on if the height over bore is the same as on the Tavor SAR, but on my SAR it's 3.75 inches.

When I first got it I was going to get the Manticore Arms riser, full rail for it, because being used to an AR, I had a little trouble getting the full view through the scope. I kept forcing myself to learn to shoulder the rifle a little higher where I could see perfectly. After a month of that and ready up drills, I automatically shoulder it perfectly. I can close my eyes now and shoulder the rifle and then open them, and I'm lined up correctly.

The main reason I haven't added the rail, is that the optic height over bore is already so high. The Tavor is 3.75" with a scope in a correct height AR mount, like a PEPR or Larue.  An AR15 is generally 2.75" , so that's already an inch higher to begin with. Adding the rail brings it up another 1/2", so that's even more. The higher the sight over bore, the more important it is that your cheekweld and your rifle are consistent, and that your rifle is not canted, or your scope's reticle. If you're using a red dot type then it's not as big a deal on the cheek weld.

The key to shooting a Tavor well and getting a perfect sight picture is to keep your head as straight as possible and shoulder it high. Put the toe of the stock tight in the pocket of your shoulder, about an inch higher than you would have on your AR.

I still may get that rail though. Other shooters have problems with it at first.

I believe the Manticore is a far better rail. Also, a member here had his Tavor drop and fall down a rocky drop off while hiking in the mountains.  It had a MI fore end on it, and the fore end was destroyed. He was trying to figure out if he should try and get it repaired by MI, and most said with their experience, something like that wouldn't be covered.  

That mirrors my experience, when I had a swivel from MI fail. I had to take it back to PSA where they replaced it as MI wouldn't cover it. The replacement failed in a month, and I called, went through the same thing, and PSA took care of me, and let me opt for a refund, which I put on a different brand. And honestly , I wasn't abusing that gun at all.

The Manticore rep here saw the thread, and sent him one of their fore ends to replace the MI for free. When he got the Manticore fore end, he said how much sturdier it was built. Most that have had both have come to the same conclusion.

The rails are the same, the Manticore stuff is just really solid.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. After looking at an AR the tavor is indeed 1" higher then the AR. I wonder why IWI did this and what it's big disadvantage are. Mostly close up shooting I presume.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top