Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 6:03:14 PM EDT
Anyone know when the new Atrax F90 will be available?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like it's going to be a while. Do It Rite interviewed a rep about it at Shot Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COu_hvz-RU
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Per an interview at shot show, 200 are on their way over. Should see them "in a couple months".

"two weeks"
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm anxiously waiting.

Supposedly, Lithgow just got approval from Uncle Sugar and they should be available "in a couple months". I swear I saw somewhere that the initial lot was only 200 rifles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DJh4vlRGac
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Per an interview at shot show, 200 are on their way over. Should see them "in a couple months".

"two weeks"
View Quote

Beat me. That's what I get for wandering off for a few minutes.

I really want a 20 inch model. Course, I like a little variety. I'd love it in the weird green/pinkish tan they are issuing with the EF88.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it really 2 weeks or really 2 months?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm trying to stay off the card so I'll be able to jump in quickly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My happiness-boner could power four mid-sized cities right now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Sven is right. No one knows.

One video the Lithgow USA guy said "a couple months"(the one I posted). But considering I also saw a video(the other posted here) where he permits were just finished up. Then parts had to be made in the US and Australia then assembly. Testing had to be done, etc. I'd be surprised if they showed up in 6 months or this year even.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it really 2 weeks or really 2 months?
View Quote

Two more weeks...
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My opinion, completely based off of gut instinct, it won't be out till the end of this year or even next year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still very interested in getting one with a 16 inch barrel. Waiting 6 months just means that I have to be disciplined and not spend the money on something else!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
It will be like 2-3 years before you see anything for sale. If they even start a company here
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It will be like 2-3 years before you see anything for sale. If they even start a company here
View Quote

Probably see it by the end of the third quarter, I'm betting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm still very interested in getting one with a 16 inch barrel. Waiting 6 months just means that I have to be disciplined and not spend the money on something else!
View Quote

Copy that!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
So - does the F90 take AUG mags or proprietary mags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I happened across the sales guy who had a couple at the LGS here in Phoenix and that was quite a while ago.

If they are never sold here I would not be surprised.  I had always wondered why pre-ban guns were so rare, why didn't more people buy them back in the 80s.  But the last decade has taught me people want ARs, more ARs and then an extra AR.

I think the only foreign weapon design to sell in any substantial quantity over the last decade has been the Tavors.  And I think that is mostly due to the Israeli Army Man love that alot of US shooters exhibit.  If the Israeli army uses it, OMG it must be the best thing evar...

Have the gen 3 Augs hit over 5k in sales yet?  Does anyone know?  If this Lithgow gun comes over, it might hit 2k in sales over the first couple years and then it will drop off way after that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So - does the F90 take AUG mags or proprietary mags?
View Quote
AUG mags. It was designed with the PMAG AUG mags. But it also uses the standard AUG mags as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have the gen 3 Augs hit over 5k in sales yet?  Does anyone know?  If this Lithgow gun comes over, it might hit 2k in sales over the first couple years and then it will drop off way after that.
View Quote
The last I knew the combined numbers of the A3 and M1 were in the 13,000's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think the only foreign weapon design to sell in any substantial quantity over the last decade has been the Tavors.  And I think that is mostly due to the Israeli Army Man love that alot of US shooters exhibit.  If the Israeli army uses it, OMG it must be the best thing evar...
View Quote
The AK-47/74 and HK roller lock series all say hello. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of milsurp foreign rifles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I happened across the sales guy who had a couple at the LGS here in Phoenix and that was quite a while ago.

If they are never sold here I would not be surprised.  I had always wondered why pre-ban guns were so rare, why didn't more people buy them back in the 80s.  But the last decade has taught me people want ARs, more ARs and then an extra AR.

View Quote
You're not wrong, for some reason many folks would rather have 7 AR's and 5 Glocks rather then a diverse selection of rifles and pistols.

If we really want a cautionary tale, look at the failure of the FS2000- released at a time when it was the only bullpup on the market, solved the ejection complaint, well known company- and sells so poorly the don't even bother importing it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of it comes down to price. There's a line somewhere above $1600 that suddenly turns off a lot of the market outside diehard collectors.  Some of that was even propped up by the impending doom of the previous administration.

The high end niche market is relatively small. The true believer purchaser will spend whatever it takes to get the new hotness, but an average buyer is going to need a lot of enticement to go from a commoditized AR at $500 to another $2000+ 5.56mm that does a lot of things the same as a previous $2000+ design except for being kinda-sorta from Australia.

I was a buyer for the FS2000 when it launched due to FN's name/quality, and since it was pretty much the only game in town for a new bullpup at the time. Thales is going to face an even more challenging battle. It's essentially an AUG but they deleted some of the "cool factor" AUG design points (for valid Aussie military reasons) that will hurt in competing with the what's on the market. I presume a few thousand will buy it because of the niche appeal, but the market is going to contract beyond that.

I like the unique niche market stuff now, but I'm even cooled off on the F90. There's part of me that would like one, but is it worth it when I already have a nice smattering of bullpups and other modern-generation carbines?  The Aussies have been a valuable player in the war on terror, but their service rifle doesn't have the same media cachet as the Tavor.  I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug on the whole operation given the market this year, unless they suddenly start competing in the <$1500 range. Going to be a tough sell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It had serious fleas.
View Quote

I guess that's gross?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A lot of it comes down to price. There's a line somewhere above $1600 that suddenly turns off a lot of the market outside diehard collectors.  Some of that was even propped up by the impending doom of the previous administration.

The high end niche market is relatively small. The true believer purchaser will spend whatever it takes to get the new hotness, but an average buyer is going to need a lot of enticement to go from a commoditized AR at $500 to another $2000+ 5.56mm that does a lot of things the same as a previous $2000+ design except for being kinda-sorta from Australia.

I was a buyer for the FS2000 when it launched due to FN's name/quality, and since it was pretty much the only game in town for a new bullpup at the time. Thales is going to face an even more challenging battle. It's essentially an AUG but they deleted some of the "cool factor" AUG design points (for valid Aussie military reasons) that will hurt in competing with the what's on the market. I presume a few thousand will buy it because of the niche appeal, but the market is going to contract beyond that.

I like the unique niche market stuff now, but I'm even cooled off on the F90. There's part of me that would like one, but is it worth it when I already have a nice smattering of bullpups and other modern-generation carbines?  The Aussies have been a valuable player in the war on terror, but their service rifle doesn't have the same media cachet as the Tavor.  I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug on the whole operation given the market this year, unless they suddenly start competing in the <$1500 range. Going to be a tough sell.
View Quote
I think the people who would have bought it will for the most part still buy it. Most of the people who want it want it because they appreciate variety and collect. Practicality isn't part of the equation. The panic buying crowd isn't the target.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The AK-47/74 and HK roller lock series all say hello. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of milsurp foreign rifles.
View Quote
ha, I think I forgot about AK because its been around so long and in so many forms, it doesn't feel foreign anymore.  At this point I'd called it an endemic design of planet Earth.

I don't think that many HK roller lockers are really sold until maybe with the recent availability of MP5 derivations, but that is kind of its own a niche.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ha, I think I forgot about AK because its been around so long and in so many forms, it doesn't feel foreign anymore.  At this point I'd called it an endemic design of planet Earth.

I don't think that many HK roller lockers are really sold until maybe with the recent availability of MP5 derivations, but that is kind of its own a niche.
View Quote
PTR says hello. So does Century.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd guess there are more G3 clones than mp5 ones in circulation ptr has been selling them for many years at a lower price point. I think my first one was only $799 or something close to that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah if we're talking clones, the G3 / CETME type are the most common roller delayed blockbacks in the US and world market (G3 for world). Add MG42/MG3 for world also.

Probably MP5 types would be next. Safe bet that's true in the US now.
HK33 types would follow.

So back to the F90...
Is it available yet in the US for government sales?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It is if you want it to work without problems.
View Quote
How does a gun get fleas?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is if you want it to work without problems.
I bought some M14 mags years ago on the EE. They had fleas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I bought some M14 mags years ago on the EE. They had fleas.
View Quote
Clear case for negative feedback if I ever saw one
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like the F90 is still being rolled out in Australia, which would help explain the delay.

However, it looks like the Aussies will be fielding arguably the best "standard issue" service rifle system in the world.

-31" bullpup w/ 20" barrel for full velocity
-Elcan Spectre 1/4 for both CQB and distance engagements
-Grip Pod for improved stability for precision shots
-Optional grenade launcher with separate micro red dot with 40mm elevation and ranging.

That's about as close to the perfect "do all" 5.56 rifle setup as possible, especially when you compare it the standard issue of other western forces.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like the F90 is still being rolled out in Australia, which would help explain the delay.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/image1.jpg

However, it looks like the Aussies will be fielding arguably the best "standard issue" service rifle system in the world.

-31" bullpup w/ 20" barrel for full velocity
-Elcan Spectre 1/4 for both CQB and distance engagements
-Grip Pod for improved stability for precision shots
-Optional grenade launcher with separate micro red dot with 40mm elevation and ranging.

That's about as close to the perfect "do all" 5.56 rifle setup as possible, especially when you compare it the standard issue of other western forces.
View Quote
Cool you found that. You'll note, that under the "mounted" section. They have a carbine variant. I'm sure it obviously for mechanized infantry/cavalry/etc. The standard 20 inch rifles would work. But it helps even more to be 4 or so inches shorter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cool you found that. You'll note, that under the "mounted" section. They have a carbine variant. I'm sure it obviously for mechanized infantry/cavalry/etc. The standard 20 inch rifles would work. But it helps even more to be 4 or so inches shorter.
View Quote
Yeah, at least from my experience with the AUG, the 16" barrel is a bit handier. Also, with a short suppressor, it ends up being as long as the 20"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top