User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/17/2016 5:49:31 PM EDT
Available now.

Left to right: new extended rail, long rail, short rail

--------------------------------

It was mentioned earlier that Pete is making a rail for the M1 that will extend back to the ejection port.

Here's a question that needs to be answered:

Do you want it the same height as the A3 rail or do you want it the height as the A3 "military high rail" (which is the same height as the M1 long rail).

I've seen the drawing of the high rail but unless Pete gives the ok won't post anything yet, but the A3 height should look very similar to the CL rail minus flip up sights.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Poll has no choice for both, but both might be available in the future.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted the A3 commercial height because it worked for me when using mounts for AR optics. That said, I have not had a chance to mess with the long rail (my A3M1 has a short rail), so I won't object to that. I'd just be happy to have something with the length like the pictured CL rail.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the difference in height? My only experience is with the high rail.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
From the top (comb) of the stock to the top of the rail:

A3 commercial rail: 0.590"

A3 military high rail / M1 long rail: 0.905"

AR15: 0.530"
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Easy button: just release the CL rail to the civilian market.
As a potential buyer, length (to me) trumps height.
It's a recurring complaint across multiple boards.
There's a plethora of mount options already available to address optic height.
Nothing out there corrects the lack of real estate on the gun.
Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but the CL rail is a "shut up and take my money" proposition.
ETA: so I guess the short answer is A3 commercial height.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
A3 commercial to take advantage of the endless amount of AR optic mounts.

No brainer for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No brainer for me.
View Quote

This. Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the top (comb) of the stock to the top of the rail:

A3 commercial rail: 0.590"

A3 military high rail / M1 long rail: 0.905"

AR15: 0.530"
View Quote

Thanks, I'd say commercial in that case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Commercial.  No brainer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw a prototype today that was just anodized and installed on an M1. It looks really good, I'm excited for this, going to replace some factory "long rails" with this.

I think a lot of people here will be very happy with the product. As of now, the rail is actually lighter than the Steyr rail.

When Pete lets me, I'll post more. Should be soon though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Very encouraging to hear the rail project is that far along. I've been holding off buying an optic for my short rail A3M1 because I wanted to see if this rail came to fruition. If it does I can hopefully go with a better set up than what I had planned with the short rail.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I was surprised it came about this quickly. I actually thought it would take longer to get to this point.

When you see the rail you'll be amazed at how good it looks. This really is the rail that should have been standard on the M1 all along.

Wish I could put a picture up, but this isn't my project so I'll wait for the go ahead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]
hopefully it will have lightening cuts to reduce weight and aid in heat dissipation (the long A3 rail desperately needed this)
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Maleante,

Any idea on availability? Weeks, months? I'm torn between ordering an M1 optic or just waiting on Pete's rail (I have an ACOG I am dying to mount on the M1). The high rail is just too damned high to mount an acog on.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maleante,

Any idea on availability? Weeks, months? I'm torn between ordering an M1 optic or just waiting on Pete's rail (I have an ACOG I am dying to mount on the M1). The high rail is just too damned high to mount an acog on.
View Quote

I honestly have no idea, that's one thing I haven't talked to him about. Your best bet would be contact Pete directly.

To be clear, I have no interest, financial or otherwise in these rails beside the fact that I hope to be one of the first paying customers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This. Absolutely this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No brainer for me.

This. Absolutely this.

Yup.
Poll is at 80% for the A3 comm rail.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
A3 commercial for me as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Version 2 went on a diet and now fits the 9mm AUG stocks.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
So I guess I didn't need to blur out the earlier picture...

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME about these rails, I am NOT selling them and have no financial interest (or otherwise) in the outcome of this rail (beside myself being a paying customer).

If you want one, call Pete like anyone would normally do for AUG parts. He has them for $135 now.

Hope you all like the pictures. There's a couple little aesthetic tweaks I would do to it, but they're not economical and add weight (and this isn't my project), beside that I really like the design and am excited to get my hands on one.

25 Slots I believe, maybe T-numbered on top (not sure), same height over comb as the A3, same height over bore as Colt M4 carbine, 3.4 ounces (0.5 ounce lighter than the 3.9 ounce factory long rail), will work with the 9mm AUG kits, and only fits the AUG A3 M1 model.

Will not work with Larue mounts, but AUG, Tavor and other split channel rail owners already know this. Bobro, ADM, Geiselle, and any other optic mount with a full width cross bolt will be perfect for this rail.

Both options are going to be available. This rail will work with all scope mounts.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice, I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
That's exactly what I've been looking for!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]
This just made my day. Email already sent to Pete. Just fantastic.

EDIT:

Why the split rail? Why not just normal pic rail? So we can use our Larue mounts?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This just made my day. Email already sent to Pete. Just fantastic.

EDIT:

Why the split rail? Why not just normal pic rail? So we can use our Larue mounts?
View Quote

Weight savings. I think part of the goal here was to keep it as light as possible, being lighter than the factory rail is a big plus.

Of course you could use your Larue mount but it will eventually damage the rail and/or mount.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Why could you not use a larue mount?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If you knocked about 1/4" off the back of the rail on the end near the ejection port and angled it like the front of the rail is and the older A3 rail it would look much better aesthetically.

Payment ready for this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you knocked about 1/4" off the back of the rail on the end near the ejection port and angled it like the front of the rail is and the older A3 rail it would look much better aesthetically.
View Quote

+1

I could live with two less rail slots. I will be using a TA33 or Aimpoint, so BUIS are pointless for me. Otherwise, I love it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I would pay $200 for this rail with full pic rails and angled/shorted by 1/4" like the last post. So it looks like the A3 rail. Was super excited and now kinda bummed as I almost exclusively use Larue mounts.

Pete, can you make me one like this?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why could you not use a larue mount?
View Quote

You can but eventually the mount and the rail are going to eat each other up. Larue won't warranty this damage.

Not my picture:

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Great news, thanks for keeping us updated maleante. I'm really excited for this, and surprised at how soon it's coming out.

Got an email in to Pete myself. This rail solution makes the A3M1 nigh on perfection, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Payment ready for this.
View Quote

+1 for the redesign.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks good to me.Granted it's not "perfect" for me. But you can't make everyone happy with everything. Since I prefer a taller/longer rail of the A3 military rail.

But I see Pete did it the way he did to, 1. make it as long as possible without being ridiculous (ala the rail that Gabe Suarez came up with). And 2, the back angle as it is to allow the use of the 9mm stock, which is what I'm gonna get the rail for.

I appreciate the longer rail (compared to the dumb "long rail" from the M1) for BUIS use. But yeah, the profile is perfectly fine for me, but I could probably live without the 2 extra slots in the back.

I fit a pair of BUIS and a micro Aimpoint on the M1 "long rail". But it was stupid short for BUIS use.

I don't use any Laure mounts. So the slotted rails don't bother me at all.

Good job Pete.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Just talked with Pete this morning. The rail is still 4 weeks or so out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#34]
If Pete had online ordering, I would spend SOOOOO much more with him.... probably snag one of these anyway, even though I really like the factory 3X optic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1 for the redesign.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Payment ready for this.

+1 for the redesign.

I was thinking either this or the opposite and run it back a bit further but with the last couple of inches smooth like the old SI rail I was looking at earlier.  You could add a few pic notches and also create a smooth cheek index for a tactile indexing point for a repeatable cheek weld.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just talked with Pete this morning. The rail is still 4 weeks or so out.
View Quote

Not quite ready then yet. I haven't talked to him about it yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If Pete had online ordering, I would spend SOOOOO much more with him.... probably snag one of these anyway, even though I really like the factory 3X optic.
View Quote

Online ordering would be nice.

But I haven't had too much problem, if at all, with calling/emailing him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Will it fit the MSAR AUG?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given that the MSAR and AUG rails never to my knowledge interchanged in any generation, I'm going to say that a rail which only fits the newest model AUG and none of the earlier ones is also not going to fit the MSAR....
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, none of the AUG rails or optics will fit the MSAR STGs.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Will this rail allow the use of an original AUG A1 stock? (The nub at the top front of the stock prevented unmodified A1 stocks from fitting the A3)
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Small update: Pete plans on selling both split rails and full lug rails. If you have a larue mount, you can use it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#43]
That's great news!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm guessing us with nubs need to sand it down.  Is there any structural significance to that nub?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm guessing us with nubs need to sand it down.  Is there any structural significance to that nub?
View Quote

Nub?

Sorry, not following what you mean.

ETA the stock bump, probably so. It just takes a second to do. I think the only stocks with the bump now are NATO stocks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Small update: Pete plans on selling both split rails and full lug rails. If you have a larue mount, you can use it.
View Quote

Well isn't that just fantastic news!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Commercial A3 height. I love my m1 with 3x optic but my plan for the next AUG I was going to purchase was to try and find a used A3 because I like the longer rail situation a lot better. This new rail from Pete changes all of that though. Long rail + qd swivel = win.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Just so I have everything straight. This new rail is regular A3 commercial height. Slightly shorter(height wise) than the A3 military rail. I'm asking because my only experience is with the long/high military rail of the A3. So on Pete's new rail. Normal BUIS and mounts/risers for optics like Aimpoint micros will work perfectly.

How does the height (I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but can't remember) compare to the "long rail" of the A3 M1?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just so I have everything straight. This new rail is regular A3 commercial height. Slightly shorter(height wise) than the A3 military rail. I'm asking because my only experience is with the long/high military rail of the A3. So on Pete's new rail. Normal BUIS and mounts/risers for optics like Aimpoint micros will work perfectly.

How does the height (I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but can't remember) compare to the "long rail" of the A3 M1?
View Quote

The new rail from Pete is the commercial height, which is virtually identical to height over comb as the AR15. The military high rail on the A3 is the same height over comb as the new M1 "long rail". Most people are happy using AR height optic mounts on the A3 rail, but myself personally, I find the HK height or absolute cowitness height to be a better choice than lower 1/3 cowitness mounts. The shape of the AUG stock vs the AR is what affects those changes in my opinion. But yes, AR stuff will work great.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The new rail from Pete is the commercial height, which is virtually identical to height over comb as the AR15. The military high rail on the A3 is the same height over comb as the new M1 "long rail". Most people are happy using AR height optic mounts on the A3 rail, but myself personally, I find the HK height or absolute cowitness height to be a better choice than lower 1/3 cowitness mounts. The shape of the AUG stock vs the AR is what affects those changes in my opinion. But yes, AR stuff will work great.
View Quote

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

I know some folks tend to think that absolute cowitness to be "too busy". But I tend to prefer it as well. I had been using some spare sights from CZ Scorpion with an Aimpoint  micro cowitnessing on my 9mm AUG. But since I wanna get a Pete rail and it being lower than the M1 long rail.. I'll need need new BUIS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top