Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder how this will stack up against the X-95. The forward ejecting mechanism does sound nice if it works.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I know where my tax refund/ two week paid vacation (cashed in) is going.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The OSS suppressor is one of those things that people either hate or love, deride it as snake oil or praise it for it's ability, and usually don't have a clue what they're talking about or have researched it rather well.  I'm with you, I want an OSS can for my MDR when I get one. The OSS can offers things that others can't, and while it may not be as quiet as some, it gives me other benefits to compensate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been waiting for the release forever now. I hope they put out some videos for reliability, accuracy ect. I am also wanting the OSS suppressor version they showed last SHOT show, but showed nothing since. If this thing runs reliably I think it will be a game changer in this industry.

The OSS suppressor is one of those things that people either hate or love, deride it as snake oil or praise it for it's ability, and usually don't have a clue what they're talking about or have researched it rather well.  I'm with you, I want an OSS can for my MDR when I get one. The OSS can offers things that others can't, and while it may not be as quiet as some, it gives me other benefits to compensate.

Mm, I thought the OSS can was a nifty bit of kit until one that belonged to a friend of mine cracked.

The guy is an arfcommer but I am not sure how open he is to talking about what happened.

As for the MDR this rifle is literally my ideal 308 or even 223 caliber rifle. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I might even be an early adopter. And I don't buy the first version of anything that costs more than $35. Heck, I have even had a very fun dream involving this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
For those that were on the GB for the tavor, how does that price compare to the current price, if you're allowed to disclose that?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For those that were on the GB for the tavor, how does that price compare to the current price, if you're allowed to disclose that?
View Quote

They're cheaper today (online) than our price was, BUT the difference was insignificant considering the overall cost and the ability to have it before everyone else.

The price was fair, the group buy was run extremely well, and I don't regret being part of it or the fact that two years later I could have bought one online for about $100 less.

There's no indication that this go around will be the same or different though. I say go for it if you want to be an early adopter.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I spoke to a DT sales guy 3 weeks ago and he said Feb for a release date, I also set up a Try it out shoot with the TX rep for the SRS.  Yesterday when we got together one of the topics that came up was the MDR and he said that they were planning on rolling it out to the public at SHOT show.  That is the latest I've heard on the MDR release, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spoke to a DT sales guy 3 weeks ago and he said Feb for a release date, I also set up a Try it out shoot with the TX rep for the SRS.  Yesterday when we got together one of the topics that came up was the MDR and he said that they were planning on rolling it out to the public at SHOT show.  That is the latest I've heard on the MDR release, YMMV.
View Quote

Well that's good info i'll be standing by eagerly
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Pictures from their latest updates since I haven't seen them posted here.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Silly question here-

Desert Tech is basically a custom shop.  Sure, they build a lot more than a one man custom gunsmith could, but still relatively small.  The potential market for the MDR is huge in comparison with their bread and butter bolt action rifles.

Have they made appropriate preparations to meet potential demand?  Are they set up to go into true volume production without a significant loss of quality?  Have they been training new front office staff (admin and CS) to deal with the increase in customers (and change in customer demographic)?

It should be interesting to see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]

This was the picture that I questioned DT about and received the answer that they're going to be releasing videos of testing and such in the near future.  My question was whether I was seeing things correctly; was that chipped paint around the mag well?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw that last pic the other day...i love the rifle but the guy looks like something out of the latest COD game
View All Quotes

Looks like downhill mountain biking gear on steroids. They are welcome to come to Florida and wear that a few minutes...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I started wondering.... the brass ejects from the right and forward.  Is the shooter going to be catching brass in his right hand?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I started wondering.... the brass ejects from the right and forward.  Is the shooter going to be catching brass in his right hand?
View Quote

No.  If you look at the video that Tim posted on MAC, you'll see it pretty much flies over and forward of the hand on the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Overpriced
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Overpriced
View Quote

Costs less than the rifle in your avatar.....and it's a bullpup 308 (if you want).

I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh good! I thought it would be more. I've already saved enough for it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Costs less than the rifle in your avatar.....and it's a bullpup 308 (if you want).

I don't see a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

Mehh I just don't see the cost involved in a lot of the newer guns. Scar 16, beretta are etc.  I could see paying 12-1500.  Not 2k
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mehh I just don't see the cost involved in a lot of the newer guns. Scar 16, beretta are etc.  I could see paying 12-1500.  Not 2k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

I guess it's all relative in terms of desire. Some people are excited it's priced so low, and some think it's overpriced. I was hoping it would be between 2k and 2.5k, considering their bullpup bolt guns are north of 5k, this is turning out pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I guess it's all relative in terms of desire. Some people are excited it's priced so low, and some think it's overpriced. I was hoping it would be between 2k and 2.5k, considering their bullpup bolt guns are north of 5k, this is turning out pretty awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

If it lives up to the marketing (and it stands a good chance of making that bar), it will be a good value.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

Holy monkey I just looked up their bull puppy line.  I could have a proof barreled defiance action for less than that!!  No doubt their stuff is cool though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
The price is fine with me, I expected quite a bit higher.  I just wish they'd let us buy them already for crying out loud!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Street price should come  around $300 lower.  If they are scarce enough to end up on GunBroker. ... Add $ 500
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Street price should come  around $300 lower.  If they are scarce enough to end up on GunBroker. ... Add $ 500
View Quote

I think your second number is a little low.  If they're scare, I think they'll be in the neighborhood of $3k or so.  Or more.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't see how DT has the production capacity to meet demand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't see how DT has the production capacity to meet demand.
View Quote
They had problems with this for a few years with the SRS.  hopefully they learned from that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think your second number is a little low.  If they're scare, I think they'll be in the neighborhood of $3k or so.  Or more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are probably closer to the mark. Anything over 2k will be past my limit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

Indeed.  A typical .223 bullpup capable of >2 MOA is about $1500-$2000.   For me, the mission requirement for .308 rifle means more precision based shooting over longer ranges.  Which means it needs to be 1 MOA capable (with tuned handloads is fine) and dead nuts reliable.  If it achieves that requirement, coupled with the heavier construction needed for .308, I consider their MSRP of $2225 an amazing bargain, in comparison to a current 5.56 offerings.  

If it's yet another 2-3MOA bullpup, my interest wanes.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Agreed, if it can hit those two points, ~MOA accuracy and reliability, it will be a steal for their asking price.

As for the price of an SRS, you cannot get a defiant action and proof barrel in a bullpup for that much, and you cannot hot-swap barrels and calibers anywhere near as easily as you can with the SRS.  Also, considering they are 1/2 MOA guns, I'm not sure what you'd gain by going the other route...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Indeed.  A typical .223 bullpup capable of >2 MOA is about $1500-$2000.   For me, the mission requirement for .308 rifle means more precision based shooting over longer ranges.  Which means it needs to be 1 MOA capable (with tuned handloads is fine) and dead nuts reliable.  If it achieves that requirement, coupled with the heavier construction needed for .308, I consider their MSRP of $2225 an amazing bargain, in comparison to a current 5.56 offerings.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

Just a guess, but since it's coming from Desert Tech I bet accuracy is definitely on their check list.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overpriced

I don't see a problem.

It's worth it to me as it is a 10.5" bullpup 5.56 with adjustable gas, etc. The fact it can quickly/easily convert to a bullpup 7.62 is just icing on the cake. This has the potential to outdo both my Mk18 and Scar 17 within the same firearm, which is really pretty remarkable. That is, if this isn't the ACR fiasco 2.0 or something. I too hope it can achieve great accuracy. Given their pedigree I'm assuming that's high on their priorities lest it damage a reputation that is in no small part based on guaranteed 1/2 MOA bolt guns. I don't expect .5MOA. I do expect the accuracy to reflect its maker.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Got one on backorder mdr 308 for $2239 from eurooptic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why don't you  just get on the group buy on bullpupforum?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#36]
So will this be produced in house or will we be seeing a Bushmaster produced MDR? Worked out well for the Masada/ACR
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So will this be produced in house or will we be seeing a Bushmaster produced MDR? Worked out well for the Masada/ACR
View Quote

Huh? Bushmaster bought the rights from magpul...the MDR is by desert tech a completely different company.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the black one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]

shipping date announced yet or after shot? The price is copacetic. I don't want a cheapo gun and that's what you would get if it costs less. Desert tech doesn't have the production capacity to produce huge quantities.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

shipping date announced yet or after shot? The price is copacetic. I don't want a cheapo gun and that's what you would get if it costs less. Desert tech doesn't have the production capacity to produce huge quantities.
View Quote

I suspect the current demand already far exceeds their production capacity
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:15:26 AM EDT
[#41]
They are now saying that more information on how to obtain one is coming out next week.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:21:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They are now saying that more information on how to obtain one is coming out next week.
View Quote

I really don't understand what they mean by that. Is there a quest we have to go on and ask the wise wizard for permission to cross the valley of crows to pass through a maze to find the MDR? Or do we just find it online and pay with our credit cards like every other gun?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I really don't understand what they mean by that. Is there a quest we have to go on and ask the wise wizard for permission to cross the valley of crows to pass through a maze to find the MDR? Or do we just find it online and pay with our credit cards like every other gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They dont have any answers or semi-real EToR. If that isnt a bullshit  response only meant to keep interest stoked... i dont know what is. I figured it would be released and dealers would be real quick to advertise , put one almost instantly on gunbroker... real easy anouncement. and purchasing instructions... send money.. we send gun.

If they give simple instructions..like send money here..we send gun. I will very gladly eat crow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#44]
If they were ready they would probably be posting online teaser youtube videos with all the cool tactical talking heads bragging about, first off the factory floor gun ect.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If they were ready they would probably be posting online teaser youtube videos with all the cool tactical talking heads bragging about, first off the factory floor gun ect.
View Quote

My suspicion is that the MDR is in the hands of reviewers but DT has them on a very short leash with a mandated embargo on reviews and comments.  Once that embargo is lifted, I think you'll see most of the reasonable reviewers, or at least those who were invited to the shoot last fall, start posting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Now offering MIL/LE pricing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I now appreciate magpul's stance of not releasing information in a slow trickle. I guess in a constant "status update" world, desert tech's slow trickle of "updates" will appease the masses, but it's not for me. The stay tuned for more info is getting old when nothing substantial is given.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I now appreciate magpul's stance of not releasing information in a slow trickle. I guess in a constant "status update" world, desert tech's slow trickle of "updates" will appease the masses, but it's not for me. The stay tuned for more info is getting old when nothing substantial is given.
View Quote

As someone who does technology development in another industry, I can tell you developers always greatly underestimate how much time and effort it takes to finally have an assembly line and production.  The idea and initial drawings are by far the easiest part, though that's where all the glory is.  The rough prototype is 10-100 times more expensive and difficult.  The pilot production line is 10 -100 times moreso then that.  And the final actual production is 10-100 times moreso, than the pilot program.  The physical construction activity is only a portion of the work that needs to be done.  The last 1% of being 99% DONE, will equal all the 99% before it in time and expense, to everyone's amazement.

Still standing by for those new Magpul AUG magazines, that were announced 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now offering MIL/LE pricing.
View Quote

Wha, details?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded.  
I don't disagree with lazyengineer's post as the 'last 10% of a project' can often take 90% or more of the time, but this is also something well known and understood by those who have actually released products before...while it seems likely DT has known for some time they weren't going to hit a 2015 releasee date, they chose to let their 'marketing' arm keep spewing away.  There's a point at which some simple facts and less fluff and BS are appreciated by potential customers.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top