Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate the looks of the keltec and refuse to buy something that I can't stand to look at  i would rather have another Aug  or x95 I hope keltec comes out with a v2  rdb that looks way better I love the idea but I can't get over how ugly it is
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Function over form unless you are an urban tacticool ninja....

Looks is for range toys...if the gun can't be trusted...what good is it? I am not talking about just the MDR...
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the looks of the keltec and refuse to buy something that I can't stand to look at  i would rather have another Aug  or x95 I hope keltec comes out with a v2  rdb that looks way better I love the idea but I can't get over how ugly it is
View Quote
Fair enough, I suppose.  Buy a KelTec and spend the extra $1500 on making it look cool enough for you... figure your budget is actually RFB and another $3000+ since we've got MDR owners looking to spend $1500 to get theirs to run.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fair enough, I suppose.  Buy a KelTec and spend the extra $1500 on making it look cool enough for you... figure your budget is actually RFB and another $3000+ since we've got MDR owners looking to spend $1500 to get theirs to run.
View Quote
1500? All the upgrades are a free service including the new extractor setup.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The K&M M17s is the answer for anyone except lefties who don't want to learn to shooty righty.  It is an outstanding rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The K&M M17s is the answer for anyone except lefties who don't want to learn to shooty righty.  It is an outstanding rifle.
View Quote
Tell me about it (a lefty)
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s referring to people having custom one off parts made to get there’s running I believe like the tungsten oprod guy or the guy talking about trying to use a different barrel with a custom made longstroke gas piston instead. It’s not like DT was fast with this stuff they basically waited until inrange and garand thumb tore them a new asshole to seriously work on coming up with a fix. At least that’s how it looks from the ouside.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He’s referring to people having custom one off parts made to get there’s running I believe like the tungsten oprod guy or the guy talking about trying to use a different barrel with a custom made longstroke gas piston instead. It’s not like DT was fast with this stuff they basically waited until inrange and garand thumb tore them a new asshole to seriously work on coming up with a fix. At least that’s how it looks from the ouside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and it's still an open question if Delphi Tech's latest "fix" actually *IS* the fix...
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I sold mine but I completely agree. When it comes to 308 bull pups it's the best.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure, though it's pretty basic. (OP/Mods, lemme know if this is off-topic or whatever)
-A little longer than AK length piston, shorter than PSL
-Piston head is the usual diameter
-Piston head is longer, with the extra, larger gas ring
-Hole drilled in face of piston intersects cross-hole in that ring
-Right-angle gas block (not slant-drilled) port aligns with the cross-drilled gas ring when in full battery

The cup the piston fits into is the regulator, which has different port sizes that line up with the gas block; I don't know if the MDR would work well with that scheme, or if some other adjustment/blow-off scheme would work better instead.

I will say the M76 was designed to work with a QD suppressor; I'm sure it was a very leaky low-backpressure type, but considering how sensitive AKs usually are to backpressure changes, it's encouraging.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2q06qlc.jpg

I will also say, the system seems sensitive to changes in "starting volume" (gas volume in the gas block/piston when in full battery) since making the end-bore larger really drops the operating power.  A regulator that simply threads in/out to take up space could be an effective, non-venting/non-obstructing way of controlling piston impulse (of course, there is some risk involved if you can make the gun run too hard)
View Quote
could you get the weight of the bcg
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
InRange TV shooting a suppressed 5.56 MDR with a new sideplate instead of forward ejection:

https://www.facebook.com/inrangetv/videos/2210547419208327/
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
InRange TV shooting a suppressed 5.56 MDR with a new sideplate instead of forward ejection:

https://www.facebook.com/inrangetv/videos/2210547419208327/
View Quote
I'm not sure what it is, but I am fairly certain that it is not an MDR in any form as it is produced today.  The charging handle is too far forward and the ejection port is likewise, a bit forward from where it is on the MDR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Gen 2 prototype?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Are we sure that’s an MDR? Because it doesn’t look like one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I too don't think it's an MDR after watching the video a few times, that Bullpup actually functions reliably.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gen 2 prototype?
View Quote
I honestly think this may be what it takes to salvage the rifle. I REALLY wanted one years ago. If they could unfuck themselves, I’d still be open to it. Honestly I doubt I’d buy regardless given the Tavor 7 (hopefully) nearing release, but many would. But there will be a LOT of buyers turned off from buying an MDR in any circumstance other than an entire Gen 2 rerelease. At this point the MDR needs a mulligan. If they could take everything they learned from this fiasco and roll it up into a nice neat ball on (re)launch, it might be salvageable.

I think I’m pretty much permanently turned off from this rifle by now, but more guns is always a good thing. More options and competition is always a good thing for the consumer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If it's from DT, then they must've decided to make a dedicated 5.56 rifle, which seems like a fantastic idea with how chunky the 5.56 MDR was said to be. It'd also be good since it seems they are aiming for a more conventional bullpup setup that'll likely be more reliable across the board. Even if scaled up for .308

Other than that, it seems to be a decent looking gun. Can understand the ejection port hood, but just wanna know who's making it. I'd almost laugh if it was somehow a new Steyr.

I wonder if it's a Standard Manufacturing gun, seems like a logical step for them to take after the DP-12 and the SKO-BULL that I don't think has shown itself yet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It's an MDR, look at the lower above his hand, same mag release, same selector, same fencing around it; maybe an integrally suppressed upper?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's an MDR, look at the lower above his hand, same mag release, same selector, same fencing around it; maybe an integrally suppressed upper?
View Quote
Compare it to pictures of an MDR and you'll see that is the only thing that is remotely similar.  The charging handle is too high and too far forward, the ejection port is also too far forward compared to the MDR.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Kinda looks like a customized QBZ-97 by the mag well and contour of the buttplate.

Rail is different from what I’ve seen on flat top versions of it though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
@CowboyWubWub "It's Saint Patty's Day and you'll need the Luck of the Irish to get your MDR to run!" or maybe something about tax day?

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Came across this gem while cleaning up some files.

Enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL, about as funny as no indication of anymore 223 MDRs shipping since the pre-SHOT handful that were shipped for DT to be able to tell attendees "yeah the 223 is shipping".  Also weren't the chutes meant to be out by now? You would think they could have at least machined a handful for the ones already out there. Didn't they do something like that for the 308 ones to keep up with "demand" while they were having "vendor" issues? Been a circus since day one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Just like a circus...people still buying the show...

#mdrfail
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Same old DT. The rifle was such a neat concept, butpoorly executed, and by an even poorer company for the task. At least new iterations seem to be faring better, another couple years and it they may cobble together something half functional.

IV8888 liked his, but all that means is the check cleared. InRange liked their newest one, and I generally trust and value their opinion. GarandThumb said he’s going to be looking at it again too, and I trust and value his opinion as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least new iterations seem to be fading better.
View Quote
Tru Dat. A handful 233 released then poof, gone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least new iterations seem to be fading better.
Faring*. Unintentionally accurate typo. That was exactly what they did with the original. Released like 7 so they can claim “NOW SHIPPING”!
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone care about the MDR anymore?

Seems that both this thread and BPF has been completely dead the last month or so....along with the people that have tried DIY mods...just checking in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#29]
People have lives outside of "the boards".  Also, why swim in a shark infested pool?  The forums are beyond toxic negativity.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Well. Lack of forum talks (good, bad or the ugly) usually is a sign of a dead platform...or soon to be one.

No hype. No sales. No sales. No more firearms....
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People have lives outside of "the boards".  Also, why swim in a shark infested pool?  The forums are beyond toxic negativity.
View Quote
And thank the Lord they do, if they had lives only inside the "MDR boards" they too may have died.

On a serious note, as you seem to have the inside track at DT any word on more 223 MDRs being shipped since the one and only pre-SHOT initial dozen or so? What about the chutes? They flooding the market like Nebraska yet?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can’t imagine why anyone would have a bad word to say about DT or the MDR.

It seems like they’ve changed a lot about the rifle, some parts multiple times. They really hurt their brand with how they handled the release, and the MDR reputation with all the issues getting to this point. I think they’d almost need to release an official MDR V2 or something for most to give it another look.

I’m out on the MDR either way, but I do hope it one day shakes out to what it’s supposed to have been. I’ll hold out for the “objectively inferior” IWI competitor. At least they’re busy beta testing their rifles in house instead of releasing it now and expecting me to do it for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah DT seems to have implemented some good updates. Figured people would be jumping up and down...

Still no word on .223 and their chutes. They are over due.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The simple fact is if you want to command upper echelon prices, you need to provide upper echelon quality.

You can't be Century Arms without Century Arms prices.

You can only get away with it if you sell them cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I still care about the MDR. To be honest the only time I see any discussion in the forums is when new info is released.  And from there if the info is bad such as delays there is a lot of talk.  On the other hand when the info is more positive there is less talk. I don’t think you will find much more talk until other people buys the rifle and shares there experience. Or unless other people come up with user end accessories.

Most everything about the MDR has been discussed.   Right now my rifle is back to DT for the upgrades (fixes really).  When it returns I have no idea.  I understand there are things people dislike about the rifle and wish was different. At the same time it’s nice to see they are making changes. Changes that are much needed for the product to survive.

Thehun, Is there anything you like to know more about the MDR that has not been discussed?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I’d like to know what is going on with the 5.56...and the chutes DT promised by Feb...they are two months behind already with zero updates on the chutes and .223.

I mean they only shipped like 12 right before Shot Show...which I think was just a cover to claim they shipped the 5.56.

I hope the 2019 fixes work. Still have doubts about the overgassed settings and all...time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’d like to know what is going on with the 5.56...and the chutes DT promised by Feb...they are two months behind already with zero updates on the chutes and .223.

I mean they only shipped like 12 right before Shot Show...which I think was just a cover to claim they shipped the 5.56.

I hope the 2019 fixes work. Still have doubts about the overgassed settings and all...time will tell.
View Quote
Call them and ask.  I did.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked at SHOT and was told they were shipping...
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I asked at SHOT and was told they were shipping...
View Quote
Pony Express?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#40]
DT was going to offer longer barrels for the MDT. Is that no longer an option?

I'd prefer something longer than 16" for a .308.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember they listed it as a option in there promotional pamphlet. Beyond that I never seen a order option for a longer barrel, just a planned option down the road.  With that said ES Tactical sells longer barrels and different chambering barrels.

As it is now Desert Tech still has plenty of tweaks and fixes that need done to the .308 MDR. As for the 5.56, there hasn’t been much word going on about any in the wild. So no idea if these rifles are also flawed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish the MDR the best...
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I remember they listed it as a option in there promotional pamphlet. Beyond that I never seen a order option for a longer barrel, just a planned option down the road.  With that said ES Tactical sells longer barrels and different chambering barrels.
View Quote
I seem to recall reading that a bit of what was in that pamphlet was "artistic license" on behalf of the marketing department.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#44]
BS artists like the entire company?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I seem to recall reading that a bit of what was in that pamphlet was "artistic license" on behalf of the marketing department.
View Quote
So DT lies for sales? Or DT is so poorly managed that one department promises what another department never planned to make? I don’t know which of these is better or worse.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So DT lies for sales? Or DT is so poorly managed that one department promises what another department never planned to make? I don’t know which of these is better or worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think whatever you want.  IIRC, one of the comments was that they were concepts or something like that; it's been a couple years and a hell of a lot of events in my life since I read/heard their comments about it, so you're going to have to deal with a partial memory.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C'mon, dealing with all the issues requires resources; if things had gone "according to plan" they'd have likely rolled out some new options like this years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Think whatever you want.  IIRC, one of the comments was that they were concepts or something like that; it's been a couple years and a hell of a lot of events in my life since I read/heard their comments about it, so you're going to have to deal with a partial memory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So HK won't be making the XM8 PDW, is what you're saying?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kind of like reliability and accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and sub-MOA...
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top