Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 11:54:02 PM EDT
I'm fairly new to the Tavor world (just bought one).  I'm thinking about buying a TLR-2 G + tape switch for it.  Has anyone run a TLR-2 of any variety on a Tavor?

Any other suggestions for running a light + a green laser on a Tavor?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Friend of mine runs a TLR2 Green on his Tavor...good results.
Great light but I am on the fence about the laser... I can see pros and cons
The light is quality through and through.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The TLR series is hard to beat.  I am not a fan of lasers, but if you really wanted it, what rail would you mount it on?  The factory side rail is a little too flimsy for a laser, but a light would be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The TLR series is hard to beat.  I am not a fan of lasers, but if you really wanted it, what rail would you mount it on?  The factory side rail is a little too flimsy for a laser, but a light would be just fine.

View Quote

I'm thinking about running it on the top rail along with an Aimpoint PRO (haven't tried either yet).

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The TLR-2 with its laser will probably block too much of your sight picture.  I have tried a TLR-1 in front of my Aimpoint, and it works, but I prefer an internal setup.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the TLR1-HL on my Steyr and Tavor...no laser.  I mount it on the 45-degree rail without a remote switch.  The proximity to the handguard and finger is so close I haven't found the need for a remote at this point.  With the crazy intensity of the "HL" at 630 lumens or so, I don't find any significant shadowing or illumination quality.  I can see this as an issue with lower power lights, but the HL is a freakin' spotlight.  I live in the country, and my dog often alerts to all kinds of wildlife coming around the house at night.  I switch between the AUG and Tavor being stashed by the back door for handy access to check out what the dog has stirred up.  My night shooting with the light and red dots on both rifles has improved greatly due to these little night time safaris...LOL!  Before, I always grabbed the Mossberg 500 pump 20 ga. and fumbled with a small handheld spotlight.  This HL and bullpup action with this light and red dot is a lot more fun.  After working with a light this bright, I couldn't stand to go to something weaker.  It did make me think that perhaps it was too bright for the unlikely situation where I might have to use it in the house.  A couple of experiments proved it was just fine even for close up work.  In fact my wife gave me some grief for having near-retina-damaging blindness by being on the other end of this HL...LOL!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the poor photos, but here is what it looks like with and without a TLR-1 mounted on the top rail in front of an Aimpoint.  A TLR-2 will cover up even more of the sight picture.

With TLR-1

Without TLR-1

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry for the poor photos, but here is what it looks like with and without a TLR-1 mounted on the top rail in front of an Aimpoint.  A TLR-2 will cover up even more of the sight picture.

With TLR-1

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/W-TLR.JPG

Without TLR-1

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/WO-TLR.JPG

View Quote

Wow.  I guess I can try one of the aftermarket handguards and mount a TLR-2 to it.  I would like the laser to be in vertical alignment with the bore so I don't have the dot varying between left of and right of target at various distances.  

Surely someone has done a comparison of aftermarket handguards.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the MI handguard and it is nice.  Of course, I don't have a laser on it, but it would be solid enough to handle one, as would the offerings from Manticore Arms and Gear Head Works.

If you wanted to stick with the TLR-2, you could mount it on top of the handguard with a little rail.  Nothing would interfere with the sight picture.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have the MI handguard and it is nice.  Of course, I don't have a laser on it, but it would be solid enough to handle one, as would the offerings from Manticore Arms and Gear Head Works.

If you wanted to stick with the TLR-2, you could mount it on top of the handguard with a little rail.  Nothing would interfere with the sight picture.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Button_4.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FDE_Tavor_6a.jpg

View Quote

I should point out that I have a 16" Tavor.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The Midwest Industries extended handguard for the 16" Tavor should have enough space to put a small rail on the top portion and then you could mount the TLR-2.  If not, then put it on the bottom.  The same applies for the longer handguard from Manticore Arms.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Button_4.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FDE_Tavor_6a.jpg

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I do like the fact that the MI extended handguard is available in FDE and that it has that top rail section.  I wouldn't know whether to get it in KeyMod or M-lok.  Is either standard "winning the war" at the moment?

Also, has anyone weighed the factory handguard to see how much weight these aftermarket parts add to the muzzle of the weapon?  I ask because I have a chronic injury in my off-side shoulder (this is were the bullpups shine for me).  I am trying to add the functionality I want for as little additional weight as possible.

Thank you to everyone helping me out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]

I did read that a Streamlight TLR2 with battery is weighing in at about 5 oz....

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do like the fact that the MI extended handguard is available in FDE and that it has that top rail section.  I wouldn't know whether to get it in KeyMod or M-lok.  Is either standard "winning the war" at the moment?

Also, has anyone weighed the factory handguard to see how much weight these aftermarket parts add to the muzzle of the weapon?  I ask because I have a chronic injury in my off-side shoulder (this is were the bullpups shine for me).  I am trying to add the functionality I want for as little additional weight as possible.

Thank you to everyone helping me out.
View Quote

I think you're wise to ask about any weight difference.  I think the MI stuff on the front of a Tavor looks badass, but the reason I got into bullpups is that they are short and their weight is mainly close to your body for easier handling...until you hang a bunch of stuff on the front of it.  So knowing any weigh penalty is worth it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
For my 18" that is pictured above, the handguard and light mounted up front puts the balance point right at the web of the shooting hand.  Tavors are back-heavy to begin with, so I added the items to balance it out.

It still handles just like all other bullpups do, and it is much nicer to handle than an AR with similar attachments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top