Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 12:24:19 AM EDT
I've liked augs since i seen the one in diehard but my only grip with them is none of the new ones have a new production type optic for it so it would look like a traditional aug, that i favor greatly over a huge long rail. Now the tavor is also on the scene. Now I'm interested in both, either way i'm gonna have to wait awhile to buy.   So what one should i get after waiting? New school tavor or old school aug? I cannot get both, if they had a factory looking optic come out for the aug i'd be all over it but if i were to be tacticool and new the tavor seems more built for that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the exact same question.

I opted to get the AUG NATO.

I also have the FS2000 which is a great bullpup.

the AUG is available now

Tavor? who really knows.

AUG totally proven.

Tavor still a big ?

Get the AUG before the AWB.

Get the AUG before the rush in case of an AWB.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
In true ARF style, get both!

Since the Tavor isn't available yet, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. I'd throw in the FS2000, if you want a 5.56 bullpup.

Personally, if I had to choose between the Tavor or AUG, I'd pick the Tavor, assuming the early reviews are correct. In my case, I already own an MSAR, so I'd just want a new bullpup platform.
Really, you can't go wrong with either gun. Or the FS2000.

And if you want the old school AUG look with the scope, get an MSAR. The older ones have the scope. Mine does.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go AUG for now.  Its a proven gun.  The tavor, in the US made form has yet to earn that and who knows how long it will be until that is the case.  I am not too fond of dropping $2k to be a beta tester.  Plus who know what will happen in the interim with an AWB.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Plus, the Tavor will be pushed to $3k+ by the early rush to be the 1st kid on the block with one....this combined with crazy dealer mark-up and limited supply will just make a repeat of all the previous "hot" gun releases....
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
If you really want the old school look why not just buy a old one with the integral optic?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with an AUG with a rail and make it YOURS with whatever optic you want.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
1977 called; it wants it's soda straw scope back!

In all seriousness, the optic you desire would be a huge step backwards in the modern time. The 1.5x original AUG scope has a very narrow field of view, a reticle that doesn't lend itself to low light scenarios, and worst of all, you're left with no option to do anything about it. The A3 Picatinny rail really is the ideal solution considering the infinite choices for modern optics. It lets the end user choose what is best, and let's face it, we've got tons of better optics choices now than we did in the late 70s.

I chose to pay homage to the original 1.5x concept and went with the Trijicon TA44SG-10. It has a few drawbacks, but overall I LOVE IT. If it weren't for that optic, I'd probably run a T1 on it and call it a day, although lately I'm appreciating the little bit of magnification at 100 yards+.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going with the Tavor, since there's a shitload of AUGs still in the states, but very few Tavors. If they cancel the Tavor line due to exigent circumstances, I'd like to be able to own one. If they canceled the AUG line tomorrow, I could still buy an AUG for less than $3k, due to the numbers already in the states.

I couldn't do that with the Tavor after only a year or so of production. That's the way I look at it.

I want both eventually, but I'm getting the Tavor first.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd definitely recommend the Tavor. It has much better ergonomics than the Aug's I've handled. The big thing for me is that there is a handstop, vertical grip, and afg style grip all built into the handguard. I can grip the vertical section and rest on my hip for service rifle, but stretch right out for recoil control on el presidente drills.

Also, while the US Tavor's remain unproven: the Israeli one's have seen plenty of combat, and are about to see some more.

http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/2b9651a81ca311e2b2c322000a1f9804_7.jpg
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That barrel looks too long.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

1977 called; it wants it's soda straw scope back!

In all seriousness, the optic you desire would be a huge step backwards in the modern time. The 1.5x original AUG scope has a very narrow field of view, a reticle that doesn't lend itself to low light scenarios, and worst of all, you're left with no option to do anything about it. The A3 Picatinny rail really is the ideal solution considering the infinite choices for modern optics. It lets the end user choose what is best, and let's face it, we've got tons of better optics choices now than we did in the late 70s.

I chose to pay homage to the original 1.5x concept and went with the Trijicon TA44SG-10. It has a few drawbacks, but overall I LOVE IT. If it weren't for that optic, I'd probably run a T1 on it and call it a day, although lately I'm appreciating the little bit of magnification at 100 yards+.

FOV isnt really an issue with the original if you keep both eyes open like youre supposed to

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go with an AUG with a rail and make it YOURS with whatever optic you want.

This. Bird in the hand and all that...
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
i have an A3 and will be getting a Tavor if they come available.
I love my A3 and am not convinced that the Tavor is superior to the Aug

IMHO the Aug is a reliable, fantastic, battle proven rifle that already has many of the modern features that the newer rifles all claim to have to be revolutionary such as: quick change out barrel, polymer frame, piston system, ambidextrous, tool less breakdown, etc..  
When compared to the Tavor, one could argue that the Tavor offers more real estate as far as the rail space goes....and,  I do like the way the way your scope/buis mounts directly on to the barrel etc..so as to ensure to hold zero ;. however, we currently do not have access
to them and when/if they are ever made available in the U.S. your going to have to wait at least a 1/2 a year for the prices to drop. Plus, we have way more spare Aug parts floating around if TSHTF

I highly recommend the  new A3 and worry about getting the Tavor when they come availible
I am not quite sure about what your refering to about the look of the new augs but you can get a new production Aug scope for it http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/A3SCOPE.htmlhttp://www.pjs-steyraug.com/A3SCOPE.html
Or... if you want the ultimate in cool you could opt for the new  cqc Aug  http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/USAUG.html

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Question: How do you find shoulder transitions with the Aug?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never had a problem.  I've never bought into the "nose to charging handle, scrunch up on the stock" thinking, and tend to shoot with my head further back on the stock, where it's a little more natural and comfortable while eliminating the need to look over my glasses.  Ideally, the AUG stock would have molded in case deflectors, but I can get buy using my hand or just dealing with it for one or two shots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top