Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2012 7:31:14 PM EDT
Went to the gun store today trying to see if they could order a FAL receiver through them.  That fell through but they did have a new steyr aug A3 which ive been looking around for.  Needless to say it followed me home.
Neat gun, very short with pretty good balance. As a new owner of an AUG and this being my first bullpup to own or even fire Is there anything i should know?
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Stlkid,

Prepare yourself for a brand new love affair!
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stlkid,

Couldn't have said it better!

Some quick info:
-don't mess with the regulator, set it on the normal setting and leave it there unless you are short stroking or really really really dirty.
-it will literally run and run and run without being cleaned, lube it, but you don't need to clean it like and AR. AUG's function very clean. Also, don't lube the piston, etc.
-take a look at manticore arms, they should have some neat things for the AUG soon.
-Steyr might have a good black friday sale if you are interested in loading up on magazines.
-ENJOY YOUR NEW AUG
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are some obligatory pics of the AUG

Here she is with the "Beast"

and here as a comparison in size with my HK MP5 .22 that i took the eotech from. The AUG is a tad bit longer, but obviously the stock is collapsed on the MP5 which is pretty useless unless im just blasting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stlkid,

Couldn't have said it better!

Some quick info:
-don't mess with the regulator, set it on the normal setting and leave it there unless you are short stroking or really really really dirty.
-it will literally run and run and run without being cleaned, lube it, but you don't need to clean it like and AR. AUG's function very clean. Also, don't lube the piston, etc.
-take a look at manticore arms, they should have some neat things for the AUG soon.
-Steyr might have a good black friday sale if you are interested in loading up on magazines.
-ENJOY YOUR NEW AUG

Thanks, am curious as to why this one came with a older tulip style FS vs the new muzzlebrake looking one.  Not that i really care all that much but curious.
I cant wait to fire this thing.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the answer is Steyr thought folks would want the more traditional Tulip flash hider vs the newer one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe the answer is Steyr thought folks would want the more traditional Tulip flash hider vs the newer one.

OP, you have the newest version... the A3 tulip flash hider, and you have it for the reason above.
If you don't want it, I am almost certain someone will be along shortly to say "lets trade".

The genealogy of the muzzle device for barrels less than 24" in length:

1977 A1 tulip flash hider with A1 checknut, early 2000's A3 muzzle brake with A3 checkout, 2012 A3 tulip flash hider with A3 checkout.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, you have the newest version... the A3 tulip flash hider, and you have it for the reason above.
If you don't want it, I am almost certain someone will be along shortly to say "lets trade".

The genealogy of the muzzle device for barrels less than 24" in length:

1977 A1 tulip flash hider with A1 checknut, early 2000's A3 muzzle brake with A3 checkout, 2012 A3 tulip flash hider with A3 checkout.

I would have been fine with either, but was curious because everyone elses pictures of new AUGs all had the muzzle brake style.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got mine about 3 days ago. I promptly busted down the trigger buffed and polished all the mating surfaces, added a Nue-Trigger, tossed in a quick shot of silicon spray and it was ready to go with a pretty decent 5 lb trigger. Love this weapon definitely my new go-to gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0361_zps1e544e4d.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0364_zpsc0ea74d5.jpg
and here as a comparison in size with my HK MP5 .22 that i took the eotech from. The AUG is a tad bit longer, but obviously the stock is collapsed on the MP5 which is pretty useless unless im just blasting.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0362_zps27fab5f1.jpg

That's a nice M1A! and the AUG too of course.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice Aug, I have other bullpups, AK and mossberg, now I'll have to put an Aug on the wish list.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
So i took the AUG to the range over the weekend.  It shot well, but it did have a rough time cycling steel case at first.  Had to switch to the 2nd gas position and after a few more rounds it started running it.  Trigger definitely sucks, but i knew this going in.  Did have a couple of other questions though.  

I noticed scratches and dings on the stock behind the ejection port from casings hitting it.  Is this a common thing with AUGs?

Are there any negative effects of running the gas setting on 2 vs 1?

What are the threads for near where the fore grip mounts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So i took the AUG to the range over the weekend.  It shot well, but it did have a rough time cycling steel case at first.  Had to switch to the 2nd gas position and after a few more rounds it started running it.  Trigger definitely sucks, but i knew this going in.  Did have a couple of other questions though.  

I noticed scratches and dings on the stock behind the ejection port from casings hitting it.  Is this a common thing with AUGs? Yes, no big deal though.

Are there any negative effects of running the gas setting on 2 vs 1? The manual says that position 2 is for dirty/fouled shooting conditions, cold weather, and insufficient gas pressure. It's there for a reason, but you for normal conditions always use position 1. See graphic below from the original manual.

What are the threads for near where the fore grip mounts? Grenade device and bayonet lug attachment.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I noticed scratches and dings on the stock behind the ejection port from casings hitting it.  Is this a common thing with AUGs? ,  You can put a piece of Velcro (fuzzy side) behind the ejection port to protect the stock, but it is normal wear and ive never heard of any big complaints about the wear being real bad.

Are there any negative effects of running the gas setting on 2 vs 1?

What are the threads for near where the fore grip mounts?

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0361_zps1e544e4d.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0364_zpsc0ea74d5.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/TwelveBCharlie/IMG_0362_zps27fab5f1.jpg

I like how you have the A3 set up, ive been trying to make up my mind on what optic to get for my A3 and after seeing yours i took the Eotech off my AR15 and put it on the A3 . Its a perfect fit in the same position as yours , it clears the charging handle and i prefer the up close position for viewing . When the Eotech is closer to my face the frame around the window turns to a ghost image and my eyes seem to adjust quicker to the sight and target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top