Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 8:21:06 AM EDT
Hey,
I'm contemplating buying either a KSG or a 9mm AR which will eventually be SBR'd. Unfortunately, I cannot afford both, nor can I afford to buy the complete AR right now as I just purchased an NFA Trust.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1338611_.html&page=1

One of the posters on the linked thread suggested I research reliability of the KSG. There arent many threads here from owners so information is kinda scarce. I have seen a few posts (not threads, only posts) by people who have stated they handled/shot a KSG and had nothing but problems with it.

What are your experiances with this gun?

Any reliability issues? How do you like it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a KSG owner but you might get the info you need here.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I posted in your GD thread but I'll be a little more detailed here.  I had no intention of getting a KSG, I felt that Kel-Tecs were cheaply made and overhyped.

And then I had a chance to handle a KSG that a LGS had just got in and tossed all my preconceived notions out the door, It felt pretty damn good and the overall coolness and fun factor won me over.... It came home with me.

The plastic pic rail on the bottom has had an issue with breaking while using a VFG on some of the KSGs, I believe this has been corrected on the current production guns with some reinforced webbing in the hand guard.

Overall my experience has been good with mine, good luck with your decision...neither choice is a wrong one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply....on both threads.
I do appreciate it.
I can get one at a good price and have been wanting one for awhile.
I did some checking over on KTOG and saw a few people with complaints but nothing that seemed out of line for a new gun that is so different, (A bullpup shotgun that hold 14 rounds in two magazines). From what I saw, the Customer Service over at Kel Tec is on the ball and takes their job seriously.

I guess I really need to think it over and make a decision.

Leaning pretty hard towards the KSG right now.....

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
KSG is on my short list.  Seems like they have made good efforts to correct problems from earlier models.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a lot of folks will short-stroke them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
reminds me of the polymer pistol (limp wrist) issue when they were newer

I'm still holding out, not sure if I'll buy one of these high-cap shotguns or just stick with the 870 & sxs
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems like a lot of folks will short-stroke them.

Very easy to do, but it really is more of a training thing....once you shoot it a bit it is no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Walked into one of my local gun shops this morning, and owner informs me that a black  KSG is due at any moment.  He quoted me a very reasonable price, and it came home with me. It is one of the latest versions, paper tag said 4/12 manufacture This one has the holes in the mag tubes. I loaded the tubes and it cycled perfectly. Nice feeling little gun, hope to shoot the shit out of it this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Kel-Tec makes some really cool stuff, but as with any new product there are sometimes teething problems right out of the gate.

For what it's worth I've had a P-32, a P-11, and a SU-16A.  I've liked them all.  Sadly, I no longer have the pistols (stolen).
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, gave my new KSG a run this weekend, shot around 80 rounds through it. Wicked little shotgun, no problems encountered. I put a set of magpul sights and a vertical grip on it. I was shooting Walmart federal shells. Holds a lot of rounds, mag selector takes a bit to get used to though. I am very pleased with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top