Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2012 10:56:47 AM EDT
I think my barrel is toast, the rifling that first comes into contact with the bullet is dark, and worn down pretty badly. I can see a lot of little lines in the chrome lining just forward of the chamber too.

This thing was a range rental before I got it, so god knows how many rounds it's seen.

It still holds good groups, so opinions?

Anyone ever have to have their barrel replaced by FN before?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It still holds good groups, so opinions?

So, what's the problem again?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You should send it to me... for... proper disposal.

Really, if it keeps shooting decent groups, what is the problem? Clean it out with some Hopes 9 and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds do you have through it? Are we talking 20K plus?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Pictures of bore and and bolt carrier group?

FNH will take care of you.. Eventually
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pictures of bore and and bolt carrier group?

FNH will take care of you.. Eventually

I replaced the "switch" last week with a new one. old one was in bad shape.

As to what the problem is, I've never encountered wear like this on a barrel. It's always a good thing to ask if you haven't seen it before.

I can't get a clear enough picture of the bore to show the area I'm concerned about. The wear is only right where the bullet it's self enters the rifling. There are also some small imperfections running parallel to the bore in front of the chamber. little lines is the best way I can describe it. Yes, I've applied copper solvent as directed. It's not copper.

Do you think FN will force me to accept a tactical model in lieu of the std. optic model? I bought this particular one because of the optic housing set up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.. Looks like its seen over 10k rounds from the wear on the carrier and op-rod plunger. Mine didn't look the worn at about 9k.

I'm sure FNH will hook you up, it might take a while
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If it holds 2" or less groups at 100 yards then thats as good as it gets.  It looks like its just broke in!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting.. Looks like its seen over 10k rounds from the wear on the carrier and op-rod plunger. Mine didn't look the worn at about 9k.

I'm sure FNH will hook you up, it might take a while

I figured as much. My SCAR  16S is pushing 13K right now, (3K by me, 10K documented from the C3 shop that used it as a can demo gun/ rental.  paid $1450 for it )  Barrel in it still looks brand spanking new, AND holds a tight group at 100 yards.  Bolt groups look similar in terms of wear.

FNH is a great company, I don't mind waiting considering what I paid for this gun. I'll even pay them out of pocket for a refurb if I have to, I just don't want to lose the Std. optic upper receiver.

I've never had a single problem out of any of the FN stuff I own, and run. I can't say the same for anything else I have.

It's still shooting acceptable groups, all in the head of a swaying silhouette at 15 yards unsupported. If it's ok to shoot then I'll likely just shoot it until I completely wear it out.

Should I order up a set of recoil springs for my FS or should the spring in it be ok?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I replaced on my first fs2000 was the switch. A member that goes by Oberserver has way more rounds through his and may have more info on replacement schedules. I sold the 9k one and my current one has a few thousand through it so far without replacing anything but a switch as well.

The common sense parts would be

Firing pin
Extractor
Extractor springs

Etc

But I haven't replaced those things yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
One more time....... round count????
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Miss the part where it was a range rental and he doesn't know actual round count?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miss the part where it was a range rental and he doesn't know actual round count?

My bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top