BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/27/2011 9:27:14 AM EDT
The Bullpup Shoot 2011 is here!
http://www.bullpupshoot.com

We have scheduled the event to September 24th Impact Training in Mount Carroll, Illinois.  The best part?  It is FREE!!

http://www.impacttrainingcenter.co/default.html

For those of you not familiar, Impact Training is the former Blackwater training facility in Northwest Illinois.  Located on 54 acres of property, the features state of the art ranges and facilities.

We (Manticore Arms and Ratworx) decided we wanted to step the shoot up to the next level this year, and have secured the entire 100 yard range for use with supplied paper targets, steel poppers, and another surprise or two.  

Admission is absolutely FREE, all you have to do is show up any time between 8am and 5pm.  Full auto AUG's in 5.56 and 9mm, bullpup M14's, and a host of other weapons will be available for use at no charge.  Ammunition will be available at cost for you to try out everything available. bring your own rifles and gear to show off, discuss, and trade! Come see the newest and latest in bullpups and celebrate the shortest, fastest, best rifles out there!

Photography and video is completely acceptable and encouraged!  Food and local accomodations will be posted shortly.

Please note Illinois is NOT a CCW or open carry state.  All firearms must be encased and unloaded when transported.  

Thanks,

Sven
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice...I'll try to make it this year, especially since it's the day before my bday.  A little present to myself.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I *so* wish I could attend!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Laws regarding out of state residents bringing rifles into IL? I have a few vacation days that will probably go unused. Might be able to come if the laws are decent.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Laws regarding out of state residents bringing rifles into IL? I have a few vacation days that will probably go unused. Might be able to come if the laws are decent.

Unloaded and cased and you will be good to go.  You should come.  There will be cooler toys at this one than there were last year.  And that's sayin somethin.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If this wasn't a 20 + drive from me I'd come.  Be nice to meet you folks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
This was great fun last year.  I'm looking forward to it.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The first one was a lot of fun. I hope I can get time off from work to attend it again this year...
Cheers,
Mav
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I will be there but I don't own a bullpup, I assume that is kosher.

Bringing shade tent, chairs, water, targets, AR, Sig556, etc....

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
No problem at all. Bring whatever you got to shoot. Good times...
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nobodys perfect.  You have a couple months to get that straightened out.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobodys perfect.  You have a couple months to get that straightened out.  

The funny part is that since I first saw an AUG, I have absolutely lusted after a bullpup.

I really do want one, but I feel that the options out there leave a bit to be desired.

My list (top down order of how much I want one):

1)  FN FS2000.  To me, this is essentially the mother of all bullpup designs, but at $2000 that is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

2)  Styer AUG.  A classic never dies, but since it costs the same as the FS2000....its in second place for now.

3)  Keltec RFB.  This is in last place due to the caliber, and the reviews.  I still want one though.

Someday!!!

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a feeling if he brings his SIG 556, we may still have something for him to play with
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have a feeling if he brings his SIG 556, we may still have something for him to play with

Hell yes!  

The 556 doesn't have enough aftermarket support, so anything you have will be well received!

I call it The Beast, due to its weight and rock solid construction.

On a run and gun course, I prefer my AR (again, a weight issue)...but if I had to toss one down a few flights of stairs and trust my life to it...the Sig would be my choice.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't have a bullpup, bring what you have.  You should also bring some 7.62x39 ammo.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you don't have a bullpup, bring what you have.  You should also bring some 7.62x39 ammo.  Trust me.

Roger that.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Somebody get an RPD?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody get an RPD?

I'm guessing there will be plenty of Keltec bullpups there, and for some unknown reason Keltec won't make that rifle in 5.56...which really blows my mind.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know what my days off will be that far in advance, but hopefully I can get away that day.

If anyone is coming from the East, I'd like to carpool part of the way.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm....I may have to come.  I've been thinking about the MSAR, and always say I will stop by ratworx whenever I drive to WI.  If I come, I'll be the loser with no bullpup and a simple AR.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody get an RPD?

What's a RPD?
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody get an RPD?

What's a RPD?

If a RPD had a wallet it would say "Bad Mother Fucker" on it.  Not a bullpup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in Bloomington, I'm going to attend this. Be bringing my FS2000, Yugo AK, Fully converted Saiga 12 maybe my sig 250 it sounds like a blast
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I live in Bloomington, I'm going to attend this. Be bringing my FS2000, Yugo AK, Fully converted Saiga 12 maybe my sig 250 it sounds like a blast

I'll be heading up from a town very near you, Sir.

I may try to find you, as you know my dream rifle is an FS2000...if you would be interested in shooting my Sig556 maybe we could swap for a mag or two?

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That would be great, I almost bought a sig 5.56 since the prices have gotten so cheap. It's a standard FS, but i added a sling, neu trigger and removed the crappy stock scope and added a micro red dot and 3x magnifier, spent 2 hours and 120 rds trying to zero it in. It sucks not having flip up sights to help you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be great, I almost bought a sig 5.56 since the prices have gotten so cheap. It's a standard FS, but i added a sling, neu trigger and removed the crappy stock scope and added a micro red dot and 3x magnifier, spent 2 hours and 120 rds trying to zero it in. It sucks not having flip up sights to help you.

Awesome.  

I'll send you a PM to preserve OPSEC.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.  

I'll send you a PM to preserve OPSEC.

sounds good
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I am planning on coming to the event, especially to meet those I don't already know. Not knowing the area, Is there a hotel (motel) where those coming from long distances will be staying? If not tell us the one where all shoud stay.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am planning on coming to the event, especially to meet those I don't already know. Not knowing the area, Is there a hotel (motel) where those coming from long distances will be staying? If not tell us the one where all shoud stay.

With the anti gun climate in IL/Chicago, the last thing in the world I would want, is to be at a hotel where its known that "a bunch of gun nuts" are staying.  I would not be suprised if hotel staff see rifle cases and call the police, not understanding the law that treats a hotel room the same as your home (in terms of gun posession).
My advice is to head back into Iowa or Kansas and stay there.
If you want to stay in IL, head south to Bloomington/Normal and catch a hotel there.  That is near me, and down here is a different world.  Basically, once you get south of I-80, IL becomes a red state and the insanity all but disappears.
My plan is to drive up for the shoot, and drive back home to Central IL.
I and my guns stay as far from Chicago as possible.  There are townships in the Chicago area that still ban handguns, and have crazy laws that make it a crime to even drive THROUGH the town with guns.
From the IL state police:
Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does

not preempt local ordinances from banning

firearms. Persons carrying or transporting

firearms through such communities could be

subject to local firearm ordinances.

Federal law on this:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926A000.html

Firearms transported by anyone in IL must be:

Unloaded

In a case

Not immediately accessible or broken down in a non-functioning state.

Here is the list of local ordinances....its enough to make your head spin:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

With the anti gun climate in IL/Chicago, the last thing in the world I would want, is to be at a hotel where its known that "a bunch of gun nuts" are staying.  I would not be suprised if hotel staff see rifle cases and call the police, not understanding the law that treats a hotel room the same as your home (in terms of gun posession).

My advice is to head back into Iowa or Kansas and stay there.

If you want to stay in IL, head south to Bloomington/Normal and catch a hotel there.  That is near me, and down here is a different world.  Basically, once you get south of I-80, IL becomes a red state and the insanity all but disappears.

My plan is to drive up for the shoot, and drive back home to Central IL.

I and my guns stay as far from Chicago as possible.  There are townships in the Chicago area that still ban handguns, and have crazy laws that make it a crime to even drive THROUGH the town with guns.

From the IL state police:

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does
not preempt local ordinances from banning
firearms. Persons carrying or transporting
firearms through such communities could be
subject to local firearm ordinances.

Federal law on this:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926A000.html

Firearms transported by anyone in IL must be:

Unloaded
In a case
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a non-functioning state.

Here is the list of local ordinances....its enough to make your head spin:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

Someone put the tinfoil on a little too tight.  None of those ordinances have anything to do with him staying in a hotel or getting to Buffalo rock(and Ottawa isn't in the Chicago area).  There are plenty of hotels(motels) in Ottawa to stay at, maybe somebody else will share if(where) they are staying.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a chill pill.....Ottawa, Spring Valley, lots of very nice places to stay in the area......it aint Chicago by a long shot........you will not be hasseled... some pretty good gun shops in the area you need to check out....Mean Metal Guns for sure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are coming into Illinois from out of state, simply unload and encase your firearms and keep them out of reach.  FYI, We do not have CCW, do not carry a firearm on your person.  

There are plenty of places to stay near Ottawa (I have heard the local Holdiay Inn is very nice and has a good resturaunt), there is no worry about crime or 'bad places' as it is a fairly rural area, and if you really want to make a long weekend of it Starved Rock State Park has a nice hotel and some great hiking trails right across the Illinois River from Buffalo Range.

Ottawa is almost three hundred miles from Cook County/Chicago, and is in the 'reasonable' part of the state.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you are coming into Illinois from out of state, simply unload and encase your firearms and keep them out of reach.  FYI, We do not have CCW, do not carry a firearm on your person.  

There are plenty of places to stay near Ottawa (I have heard the local Holdiay Inn is very nice and has a good resturaunt), there is no worry about crime or 'bad places' as it is a fairly rural area, and if you really want to make a long weekend of it Starved Rock State Park has a nice hotel and some great hiking trails right across the Illinois River from Buffalo Range.

Ottawa is almost three hundred miles from Cook County/Chicago, and is in the 'reasonable' part of the state.

Good to know.

I grew up in the suburbs and lived in the city for a while, it was absolute madness with respect to gun laws (and it still is).

If the area of the shoot is GTG, that is really good to know.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Take a chill pill.....Ottawa, Spring Valley, lots of very nice places to stay in the area......it aint Chicago by a long shot........you will not be hasseled... some pretty good gun shops in the area you need to check out....Mean Metal Guns for sure.

+100   There are plenty of decent places to stay near Ottawa.   I stayed at the Starved Rock State Park Lodge last year when I attended Appleseed.  Decent room, nice restaurant and most scenic bar in Illinois looking down over the river.  It's a 20 minute drive from Buffalo Range.   There are other motels closer to the range.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#34]
This sounds like a good event.
Do you have pictures from last year and how many people do you anticipate attending this year?
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This sounds like a good event.
Do you have pictures from last year and how many people do you anticipate attending this year?

Buffalo Range does not allow photography at the firing line so unfoturtunately we do not have photos from last years event.

We are expecting 100+ purely for the bullpup shoot, and the range usually has another 300-400 walking through during the day, depending on the weather.  Last year we got hit by a near tornado late in the day, so the crowd tapered off a little after that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#36]
If you guys get enough people coming from out-of-state who are going to get a hotel room maybe you could get a "group rate?"

You'd certainly be a well armed hotel in such a case.

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Some humor doesn't e-travel well.  Nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump.

Looks like we might have some bullpup M14's at the shoot this year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I will attempt to come, depends on work schedule.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bump.

Any details to share?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump.

Any details to share?

A company called Juggernaut Tactical contacted me last week and is interested in coming out to show off their new M-14 bullpup stock system.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump.

Any details to share?

A company called Juggernaut Tactical contacted me last week and is interested in coming out to show off their new M-14 bullpup stock system.

Interesting... it looks familiar, but then again very different.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
The Bullpup Shoot 2011 is here!

Please note we have rescheduled the event to September 24th Impact Training in Mount Carroll, Illinois. The best part? It is FREE!!

http://www.impacttrainingcenter.co/default.html

For those of you not familiar, Impact Training is the former Blackwater training facility in Northwest Illinois. Located on 54 acres of property, the features state of the art ranges and facilities.

We (Manticore Arms and Ratworx) decided we wanted to step the shoot up to the next level this year, and have secured the entire 100 yard range for use with supplied paper targets, steel poppers, and another surprise or two.

Admission is absolutely FREE, all you have to do is show up any time between 8am and 5pm. Full auto AUG's in 5.56 and 9mm, bullpup M14's, and a host of other weapons will be available for use at no charge. Ammunition will be available at cost for you to try out everything available. bring your own rifles and gear to show off, discuss, and trade! Come see the newest and latest in bullpups and celebrate the shortest, fastest, best rifles out there!

Photography and video is completely acceptable and encouraged! Food and local accomodations will be posted shortly.

Please note Illinois is NOT a CCW or open carry state. All firearms must be encased and unloaded when transported.

Thanks,

Sven
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#44]
This is great news.  The Impact range will be 100% better than the Buffalo range.  You really want to come to this event, it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Impact is a kick ass range! They offer all types of training too!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Man that's a 3 hour + drive instead of 70 mins, hmmmmm
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, but now it is free and you no longer have to pay $25 entrance fee and trust me, we are going to have a *fun* target at the range.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but now it is free and you no longer have to pay $25 entrance fee and trust me, we are going to have a *fun* target at the range.

Can we take pics at this range?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can we take pics at this range?

YES!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Not liking this at all now.  I would have saved more $$ and time while it was at Buffalo.  Oh well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top