Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2011 3:55:43 PM EDT
Howdy yall,

I know there have been a couple threads about this, but how commonly do MSARs have peening on the bolt sleeve teeth?  I first saw it at this thread.  I note one more instance of it here partway down the page, and I've seen a couple more posted here with the trunnion ground down to make room for the teeth.

These pics were taken after about 150 rounds, but it came from the factory with a bit of peening (I incorrectly assumed that if it came from the factory that way, it might, just might, be normal to have a bit):
Sleeve
http://s2.postimage.org/uthu5x4n/msarboltsleeve1.jpg
Sleeve & Bolt
http://s2.postimage.org/uun6llh3/msarboltsleeve2.jpg
Sleeve & Bolt & Receiver/Trunnion
http://s2.postimage.org/uux3tofr/msarboltsleeve3.jpg
(Pics posted w/postimage.)

It's on the way back to MSAR now - getting an RA number once their website was back up was really very easy.

Ratworx said it's rare, but it seems to be a rather usual issue.  I've really liked the platform since I first handled one a couple years ago, I like a few of MSAR's little modifications, I tend to favor US small businesses, and I'm somewhat biased against Steyr because of their price and this, so I'm not looking to switch to an Aug.  I tend to agree with "Two is one, one is none", and I'm thinking of getting another E4 at some point, assuming that most of them come without hassles.

Anybody have any idea how common this is?

Looking at it statistically across 15000 rifles or so, it's probably not a double-digit percentage, but anecdotally...
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Howdy yall,

I know there have been a couple threads about this, but how commonly do MSARs have peening on the bolt sleeve teeth? I first saw it at this thread. I note one more instance of it here partway down the page, and I've seen a couple more posted here with the trunnion ground down to make room for the teeth.

These pics were taken after about 150 rounds, but it came from the factory with a bit of peening (I incorrectly assumed that if it came from the factory that way, it might, just might, be normal to have a bit):

Sleeve

http://s2.postimage.org/uthu5x4n/msarboltsleeve1.jpg

Sleeve & Bolt

http://s2.postimage.org/uun6llh3/msarboltsleeve2.jpg

Sleeve & Bolt & Receiver/Trunnion

http://s2.postimage.org/uux3tofr/msarboltsleeve3.jpg

(Pics posted w/postimage.)

It's on the way back to MSAR now - getting an RA number once their website was back up was really very easy.

Ratworx said it's rare, but it seems to be a rather usual issue. I've really liked the platform since I first handled one a couple years ago, I like a few of MSAR's little modifications, I tend to favor US small businesses, and I'm somewhat biased against Steyr because of their price and this, so I'm not looking to switch to an Aug. I tend to agree with "Two is one, one is none", and I'm thinking of getting another E4 at some point, assuming that most of them come without hassles.

Anybody have any idea how common this is?

Looking at it statistically across 15000 rifles or so, it's probably not a double-digit percentage, but anecdotally...

I could only see X's, so hopefully this works
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...I tend to favor US small businesses, and I'm somewhat biased against Steyr because of their price and this...

Not the bogus Iraqi claim AGAIN!

U.S. CentCom announced in late 2007 that not a single Steyr HS 50 had been found in Iraq. The story was a fabrication, and it's been discussed in damn-near every firearms-related forum, but obviously, people keep clinging on to it!

How does this crap still get posted????

mike
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My bad, nraAR, I should've used this link instead.  Even though there haven't been any Steyr rifles found used against coalition forces, they still sold to Iran.  If they were selling to North Korea, I'd be just as biased; though you're right, it is pretty important to note they weren't selling weapons to be used against coalition forces.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My bad, nraAR, I should've used this link instead.  Even though there haven't been any Steyr rifles found used against coalition forces, they still sold to Iran.  If they were selling to North Korea, I'd be just as biased; though you're right, it is pretty important to note they weren't selling weapons to be used against coalition forces.

I guess you're still pretty pissed at the US government for supplying and training Al Queda members like bin Laden back when they called themselves the Mujahideen too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Now back to your original MSAR problems...
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, yup!

I also don't eat at Jack-in-the-Box due to their handling of E Coli in the early 90s.

(I know... soon it'll be "Let go your feelings, Luke... Get both...")

But anyhow...
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
On a more useful note, you appear to be one of the folks that have an out of spec gun.  Get a RA # from MSAR's website and send in the gun.  They will most likely replace the peened bolt sleeve and machine off some metal where the bolt sleeve hits the trunnion.  Bad castings or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the rifle back a couple weeks ago.  They did the standard grinding of the trunnion and either replaced or ground down the bolt sleeve.  Can't really tell if it was new or ground down.

I've put 30 rounds through it so far and seen no peening, so I'm guessing it's okay.  Feeds & fires fine.  The MBUS I put on it worked really well - I was able to remount them and they were on just as well as when I took them off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, out of spec bolt sleeve will cause that.

If it's going to peen you're going to see it happen very quickly into your initial round count. It's not something that folks go thousands of rounds with before noticing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, out of spec bolt sleeve will cause that.

If it's going to peen you're going to see it happen very quickly into your initial round count. It's not something that folks go thousands of rounds with before noticing.

Its an out of spec trunnion face causing the bolt sleeve peening, hence the grind job on the trunnion face.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top