Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:51 PM EDT
....there are many like it, but this one is mine.

I've been waiting for the charging handle to come in before I took her to the range for the first time; a MSAR "gen4" STG.  A local dealer had dropped his usual price on them, only for the duration of the local gunshow, by $700.

Just like my when I first got my FAL, I scratched my head at WHY THIS !%%$@@! DOES NOT CYCLE?

...And just like back then, I then noticed that it was in the grenade launching mode

There was one failure to feed during the first magazine, which I was kind of expecting since the rifle seemed to need a break-in.  'Twas quite tight.  In all, 140 rounds of 55gr FMJ reloads and a token 10 rds of Hornady 75gr match were put through it.  No other malfs.

I really like the Leupold Prismatic for this rifle.  By comparison, my Aimpoint CS is like looking through a toilet paper tube.

Didn't take any pictures of the targets, as I was sighting-in the rifle, and thus they looked like they had been hit with a shotgun.  Am quite happy with the practical accuracy with the STG; particularly considering the 1x optic and my aging eyes.

OBTW, for those that read my thread about the defective bolt catch, the bolt locked back on all five magazines.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice report & pics, thx! How's the eye relief on the Prismatic? Is it forgiving of sloppy cheekweld? I've considered it in the past but not having one to play w/locally has put me off.
Keep us posted!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice report and really nice photo work through your optic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the Leupold Prismatic for this rifle. By comparison, my Aimpoint CS is like looking through a toilet paper tube.

Great looking rifle! Glad all went well for it too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nice report & pics, thx! How's the eye relief on the Prismatic? Is it forgiving of sloppy cheekweld? I've considered it in the past but not having one to play w/locally has put me off.

Keep us posted!...

Tomac

I'd say it is rather forgiving.  Many of my shots were of me holding the rifle in front of me and looking through it from a few inches behind the buttstock.  That's at least a foot, I think.

Why in the world would I do such a thing?  I wanted to know the same thing you did.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a nice optic. Nice report-thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the Prismatic has a glass etched reticle but does it have an illumination module as well?  Yours looks like it has a battery cap on it.

I am always on the hunt for new optics.  It forces me to purchase new rifles to go with them,
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it does. The entire lighting assembly is removable.

IIRC, there are seven brightness settings. Battery life is an amazing 24 hours.

Of course, no batteries are required to use the optic.

The big draw of this optic for me is that the reticle is usable for those with astigmatism. Also, unlike the Aimpoints that I've used, one does not get the impression of looking through a tube. The picture illustrates that somewhat, but it is difficult to take really goode reticle pics without three hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top