Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 12:55:17 PM EDT
I've seen a couple of people stack their rifles against the wall to show how short they are and while that's useful, I wanted to go a little deeper.
Also, I was bored.
Here's our model, who is of average height, average build, and hidden coolface.

Here he is with a 16" MSAR STG-E4:

Here he is with a 16: POF P-308 set to the same Length of Pull as the MSAR:

So, same length barrel, same length of pull.
For S&G, here's an M&P9:

Not quite so long as the POF, but still longer than the MSAR.

I did the best I could to not change the perspective of each gun, and as you can see Mr. CoolFace didn't move his legs the whole time. If you look at the "O" in "Don't tread on Me", you should be able to get a sense of thise.. I thought it would be interesting to contrast the lengths, especially considering equal length barrels and LOP's.
I realize that the LOP on the POF could be made shorter, but you'd still be dramatically longer than the MSAR. I also realize that you could shoot the pistol without arms extended, but that's only really good at bad breath distances. Also, the POF and the MSAR were chosen specifically because they had the same length barrel. I was trying to make a point, and don't own any other rifles with 16" barrels. Had I a vast armory, I may have added more, but I think my point still stands.
Also, all guns were double checked unloaded, no ammunition was present, all guns were pointed in a safe direction and all guns were underground. No hippies were harmed in the making of these photos. Also, I realize there are no sights on the MSAR. Quick Disconnect scope mounts are an amaaaaaaaaaaaazing thing.
Apologies to the humorless dillweeds offended by the originals, hope this is better.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
And so it begins
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And so it begins

Aww, come on guys. I read a bunch of "How much shorter is a MSAR vs a AR" all the time and I tried to illustrate the answer in a better way than setting the two up against my trashcan and taking a picture. Forgive me if I wanted to have a little fun with it.

Two rifles, the same length barrels, the same length of pull. CMM flag in the background for length reference. I know that it's sometimes hard to visualize how short something is without a frame of reference, so I tried to offer one. Didn't realize it warranted a ''
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
this needs to be in GD
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I take it you don't use that door much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
"TJ" won't hit shit with a rifle with no sights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I take it you don't use that door much.

It's hanging off a nail and some painters tape, it's already down.

Quoted:

Yeah, yeah. Geez. Tough crowd.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wanna bet? If Luke can do it TJ sure in hell can.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait... what?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna bet? If Luke can do it TJ sure in hell can.

Seriously, he just needs to use the force.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Haha I thought this was funny.  And actualyl useful..... for those assaulting the British held Armory here in 2010 with those 2 rifles to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
And so it begins

Aww, come on guys. I read a bunch of "How much shorter is a MSAR vs a AR" all the time and I tried to illustrate the answer in a better way than setting the two up against my trashcan and taking a picture. Forgive me if I wanted to have a little fun with it.

Two rifles, the same length barrels, the same length of pull. CMM flag in the background for length reference. I know that it's sometimes hard to visualize how short something is without a frame of reference, so I tried to offer one. Didn't realize it warranted a ''

I like what you did there....  Thanks for the time and pictures op!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
oooohhh  Double Rainbow...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting point with the pistol reaching further out than the MSAR.  You could have made it without looking like a wannabe thug.  Blur your face out if you don't want to be seen.  A bandana?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
.  A bandana?

Must be a Crip.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Interesting point with the pistol reaching further out than the MSAR.  You could have made it without looking like a wannabe thug.  Blur your face out if you don't want to be seen.  A bandana?

Wasn't my face (I was behind the camera), bandana was right there, easier than blurring in GIMP. But if a paisley kerchief offends you guys' delicate sensibilities, I could always blur the whole thing. I've never seen a thug with a polo and a Sparco hat but whatev...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey! There is the thug that stole my Sparco hat!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#18]
That's pretty funny i just saw your post on vaguntrader
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
What do you do if you have a case head rupture or blow up the gun right next to your face?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What do you do if you have a case head rupture or blow up the gun right next to your face?

I've wondered about that myself, but it seems to not really happen. (Or rather, it seems to cause no worse injury than a standard rifle)

A LOT of countries are using bullpup designs in their militaries, and if there were any real danger of this happening on a regular basis, I would think there'd be gravitation away from it...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Change your underwear!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Clean your room.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw this post originally and now just saw it again with the "modification". LOL-too funny...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I hadn't considered that you have a shorter profile then even in a pistol stance. Go bullpups! and lol at the photo shop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Needs more TJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top