Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:32:44 PM EDT
Just curious, I got mine last year and still love it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wanted one but had no funds for it at the time. now I am leaning towards the 18" barrel when they offer them for sale.

From what I heard was why MSAR quit with the 24" is because they couldn't get the harmonics just right. I am not for sure if it was a MSAR thing or just a bullpup thing. I was never really clear on that.

I want a longer range set up one day and will build it with a MSAR pup. I know it won't be on par trigger wise against the AR custom triggers but hey, I still want to build one. The triggers are getting better with the tips and tricks and with the help of a member here it is showing promise of having a *good* trigger worth at least trying out a longer range shooter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It was more of an AUG platform problem. The way the barrel is supported in the receiver creates a center of mass issue. With the center of mass hanging way out in front of the receiver and the 2 contact points on the barrel produced very poor and unrepeatable harmonics. There were other options such as new locking lugs and barrel locking mechanism but they would have meant the loss of the quick change barrel feature. Shortening the barrel went a long way in solving that issue without loosing functionality.

I have a 24" barrel and will be getting it turned down to 18" once I move out of the PRNJ.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Rizzo for filling me in on what was up with the 24's. I guess they could build the 24 sans QD barrel and have it the PSG1 of HK91/G3's
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
So how bad did the 24" shoot?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine shoots great. If I remember right it was under an inch at 50 yards shooting from a bench. Also mine was the heavy barrel. Of course I've only shot it at
over 300 yard just plinking, but I could hit the can most every shot.

So, MSAR don't offer/make the 24 inch barrel anymore?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if MSAR makes the barrel anymore?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No, they don't.

Gregg
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Gregg.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I still want a AUG LMG style 24" barrel with bipod. I don't care if it isn't the pinnacle of accurate. It's cool as hell and would work just fine for the shooting 99% of us would use it for.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see the attraction if it doesn't boost velocity or accuracy. It takes the main feature of the bullpup platform and negates it for no benefit. It would be like putting a 28" barrel on an AR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still want a AUG LMG style 24" barrel with bipod. I don't care if it isn't the pinnacle of accurate. It's cool as hell and would work just fine for the shooting 99% of us would use it for.

That's a very broad and incorrect statement based almost solely on your opinion that "it's cool as hell".  Who cares that even the manufacturer states that accuracy was hit and miss, not consistently duplicatable, ridiculously heavy, and testing has shown that it could have a NEGATIVE impact on velocity... It LOOKS cool.

Give me a 14" barrel and you can keep the 24"
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I am with CAR on this.  I bought my msar's for barrel choices and a 6.8 without ar mags.
Which neither has happened.  I like the short barrels, but a LMG clone would be cool.
Yea I said cool
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to get a longer barrel.  I'm more concerned with my gun shooting straight than looking cool so I'll be springing for the 18" when they start coming out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
The possibility of a LMG clone is fun. Even in semi only.
People buy semi M60's and SAW's . They are not driving tacks with those.
Plenty of stuff on the market to make msar's into ar clones though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top