Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 9:50:09 AM EDT
Question for those who have the E4 rail, is it better than the old design?  I have a Gen 4 model with the optic and want to replace it with a rail, but I can't find an E4 optic rail.  Is it worth waiting for or should I just get the old design?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You can order the new design from RATWORX or keep an eye out for an older top rail on the EE.  They are plenty good as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Question for those who have the E4 rail, is it better than the old design?  I have a Gen 4 model with the optic and want to replace it with a rail, but I can't find an E4 optic rail.  Is it worth waiting for or should I just get the old design?

I believe the new E4 optic rail is superior to the older MSAR STG556 rail. The E4 rail better accommodates the height of Optic mounts designed for the AR platform and allows for easier alignment with back-up iron sights for co-witnessing and use through the optic without removal.  

If the MSAR E4 optic rail is unavailable your next best bet would be to purchase the Promoted Pawn MSAR rail.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The E4 rail is lower than the older version, so it boils down to where you're comfortable with the height of your optics.  I bought my E4 rail from RATWORX when I ordered my rifle knowing that I could always get a higher mount if the lower rail height was a bit too much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can order the new design from RATWORX or keep an eye out for an older top rail on the EE.  They are plenty good as well.

I've been in contact with the folks at Ratworx for several months about the E4 rail.  They have been very nice about it, but they haven't been able to get any E4 rails.

I guess I'll just keep checking with Ratworx every couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in contact with the folks at Ratworx for several months about the E4 rail.  They have been very nice about it, but they haven't been able to get any E4 rails.

www.promotedpawn.com
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The E4 rail is nice if you want to mount an AR height optic.  However, it isn't perfect.  I had picked up one of the popular Urban-ERT http://www.urbanertslings.com/mistg556urhy1.html slings on my STG556.  When I switched to the E4 rail, there was no longer sufficient gap between the rail and stock body to keep the sling.  The STG rail height is just about perfect for an Aimpoint with a low rise mount, or the Eotech with no mount.  If you want a more conventional scope, you can use low rings with the STG rail.  With the E4 rail, you'll need high rings.  So it really depends on what you want.  By the way, PM me if you want an as new STG 9" rail.  Or a sling!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The nice thing about a lower, extended rail is that you get more real estate for folding sights (that's IF you want to run back-up sights) and the height is closer to AR15 height, which makes mounting optics with the proper cheekweld much, much easier. Combine these two factors together and you get a setup where you can co-witness a red dot with the irons.

Don't wait for the E4 rail. Go with the Promoted Pawn rail. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.promotedpawn.com

+1. It allows you to go from this:

To this:

Now all my STG's have E4 optic rails:

Tomac
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  Tomac, you read my mind.  I have a M4 that is waiting for a rail to sit on!
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.promotedpawn.com

+1. It allows you to go from this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofSTGwithAimpointCompM4002.jpg
To this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofSTGw-newrailAimpointM4002.jpg

Now all my STG's have E4 optic rails:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRotationofFiveSTGs002.jpg
Tomac

Are those the promoted pawn rails or the actual E4 rails?

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actual E4 rails.
Tomac

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actual E4 rails.
Tomac

Thanks,

I'm tempted to get one of the promoted pawn rails but the E4 rail look so at home on the STG's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an E4 and a Urban ERT sling and want to put on a rail for a new Eotech.  I'm thinking the PP rail since it gives a tad more clearance for the sling, but is still low enough to keep a good cheekweld with the Eotech.  Right   Or will the sling be able to fit under the MSAR rail?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an E4 and a Urban ERT sling and want to put on a rail for a new Eotech.  I'm thinking the PP rail since it gives a tad more clearance for the sling, but is still low enough to keep a good cheekweld with the Eotech.  Right   Or will the sling be able to fit under the MSAR rail?

I don't have an Urban ERT to test for you but my son uses a GearSector ASP single-point sling and there's barely enough room under the E4 rail for the single nylon strap.
HTH...
Tomac

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll expand on the subject of the sling.  I received my E4 rail and eagerly unbolted the old rail and bolted on the new.  It compressed the sling strap around the wrist of the stock, but fit.  The issue arose when I later disassembled the rail and separated the receiver from the stock.  Trying to put them back together proved impossible as the edge of the optic rail couldn't slide back over the sling loop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, sounds like the PP is the way to go with the sling.  Hellloooooo anniversary present

The wife is getting a laptop, I'm getting my E4 pimped with the PP rail, 20/20 rail, a VFG, light and mount,  and some primo Laphroaig 15
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's what the Promoted Pawn rail looks like installed on the STG556. It takes on a similar appearance to the older STG rail, but it is lower and longer, just like the E4 rail. Of course, the section at the rear does NOT run down to the stock like the E4 rail. The height above the stock comb is 0.688 inches (22/32), which I believe is actually lower than the MSAR E4 rail.

Some folks think the finish doesn't match very well, but if you ask me, there really isn't much of a difference at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top