Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 4:54:38 AM EDT
First of all let me say I really like this rifle.  The 100 rounds I have put down range ran flawless and the rifle seems to very accurate.  I do have a question about the fire control housing.  Why make the housing out of plastic?  It seems like a pretty important piece that could break very easy especially under cold conditions.   Oh and pics of the new rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The AUG has been in military service since 1977 and seen combat in many different environments (Austria gets friggin cold!).  If the hammer pack was a weak point the Austrians would have fixed it by now.  The hammer actually strikes against a polymer cocking piece at the rear of the bolt carrier, so it's not smacking directly against metal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
While I cannot answer the question as to why, I have to point out that the original AUGs had a polymer hammer pack as well, and this material being the cause for any issues is unheard of. Considering the AUG design has been used by foriegn Militaries in some bitter cold environments, it says a lot for the design.

I agree that a polymer hammer in particular seems odd, but since it has not been the root of any problems, I just got over it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I cannot answer the question as to why, I have to point out that the original AUGs had a polymer hammer pack as well, and this material being the cause for any issues is unheard of. Considering the AUG design has been used by foriegn Militaries in some bitter cold environments, it says a lot for the design.

I agree that a polymer hammer in particular seems odd, but since it has not been the root of any problems, I just got over it.

Im new to the aug rifle I was unaware that the polymere hammer pack was standard on the original aug as well.  Agian im very happy with the rifle, just seem like it could be a soft spot but appears to be a non issue.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top