User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 10:21:03 PM EDT
Do you load them just like lead .

Im gonna run 124 rn . 5 gn unique and a col of 1.15

Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Their plated offerings?  If so, run them about like jacketed, just remember to stay under the max velocity.  Get them spinning too fast and the plating can separate.

https://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does that sound right?
View Quote

Where did you find the load data  ??

Reliable book....or ... ??

If it was me.....I would start lower powder charge, and then work up the load.
Chronograph is what I would use to help me determine  the load data and end result.

Which is all pretty much the SOP for  reloading anyways.

I use both the Xtreme and RMR plated stuff 115/124/147/165 in pistols.....and for 9mm SBR and  9mm 14" carbines.
 I've only used the round nose and some of the HP stuff.
Never used Unique powder, used Vhit...titegroup....etc.

I've seen speeds up to 1400 for 115 and 124 from the sbr/carbines.

Pistols were used for low power factor matches and training rds, so nothing really above 1100

Always worked well for me regardless of powder used, consistent weights, good jacket.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does that sound right?
View Quote

Sounds about right. Lead will have a higher velocity typically than FMJ because it seals the bore better/faster. So you can load with lead data, but your velocity will likely be less when using a coated bullet.

That's a mild load, but I wouldn't load up too many until you find out how they function in your pistol.

I used Unique in the past, but experienced a lot of unburnt powder residue. My Python would have it accumulate under the extractor and because of the tight fitting parts would cause a problem so I steered away from it for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Had just enough 'flyers' using XTreme 9mm to give up on them and go with HiTek coated hardcast.
I'll use XTreme or Berry's plated 230gr 45ACP bullets if I catch them on sale.
They move slow enough that there's no concern with breaking the plating.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I stopped using plated bullets, I find RMR FMJ bullets to be just as much and you don’t have to worry about crimping to much
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I run the xtreme 124gr with power pistol without any issues. I have also used their 230gr .45. I prefer plated bullets over the coated. As other said, don’t get plated bullets going too fast.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get them spinning too fast and the plating can separate.
View Quote
Dead wrong.

However, what the caution really is is if you cut the plating by crimping too much and you have both a lose bullet in the case and leading in the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Are any of you aware that Speer Gold Dots are plated bullets?

<snip> didn't need that part in your post. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are any of you aware that Speer Gold Dots are plated bullets?

didn't need that part in your post. dryflash3
View Quote

What does the Gold Dot have to do with xtreme bullets? And yeah, it is plated. Or using Speers words “bonded”. I have a bunch from RMR sitting here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Jacketed bullet load data for good quality plated bullets.  This is spelled out on Berry's website, probably the other brands too.

I use Berry's, Xtreme, and RMR.  No issues.

I have never obsessed over the crimping.  I use Lee FCD on .45ACP and 9mm because I often run them in an AR carbine.   I know I was having setback issues with Winchester cases and Dillon crimp die.  Their tech support clued me in to this issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top